Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A trunk full of reds  (Read 7378 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: A trunk full of reds
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 08:58:36 AM »
This J-code brownie is the last one I brought out of the truck.  The lid handle was reattached by the previous owner, and despite the missing wood handles, the lid and bowl are in remarkable shape and the ash sweeper works too. 
I've decided to trade this to another member, but I'm happy to have brought it home knowing it will make its way into the hands of another enthusiastic grillfella who intends to use it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 06:54:26 AM »
Nice scores! Those PAT PENDING era reds (1969-72 depending on wheel style) tend to be a deeper darker red than earlier AND later red kettles. I have a PAT PENDING 22 red that is as dark red cold as my 1979 and 1981 reds get when they are hot.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 09:48:39 AM »
@Craig, thank you, sir!  I noted in one of your other posts you had your grandfather's 18.5" redhead, mind sharing some pics to drool over? 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 09:50:32 AM »
It's in the gallery - where it should be...

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/01/23/1537/
Retired

Craig

• WKC Mod
A trunk full of reds
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 11:42:46 AM »
@Craig, thank you, sir!  I noted in one of your other posts you had your grandfather's 18.5" redhead, mind sharing some pics to drool over? 

Yes it is in the gallery but here is some more. The pictures of it in the gallery were taken in 2013 when I had a lighter stained Zavod handle on it. I have since changed it to the walnut one you see below. The walnut one here is closer in finish to the original handle that I very foolishly destroyed while removing to replace it "just because" I wanted a new wood handle. Talk about a major league rookie mistake looking back on it. Because of that I have since adopted what I simply call  "Brian's law" that is a kettle with a still good condition original wood handle(s) STAY and get refinished/restored. There haven't been many but I have at least two that have retained the originals. That is a rule that Zavod44 himself lives by. So I figured I should to. Too bad I learned the hard way.

My son cleaning it this spring.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 11:59:24 AM by Craig »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 11:47:07 AM »
Thanks, Craig.  Yep I've checked out the vintage gallery before but didn't realize that was YOUR red 18.5 until now.  Love the pic with your son, that's a multigenerational grill right there!  Did you apply the midget mod?  Looks super low. 

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »

Thanks, Craig.  Yep I've checked out the vintage gallery before but didn't realize that was YOUR red 18.5 until now.  Love the pic with your son, that's a multigenerational grill right there!  Did you apply the midget mod?  Looks super low. 

Nope. That one is all original height. However I did do that with a rough shape mid 70s red 18. Also did it with a Cado 18.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »
Beautiful. Love those reds. However, yellow is starting to grow on me too. I'll probably never see a yellow posted in Ohio.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 07:12:27 AM »
@kettlebb this one is yellow. http://columbus.craigslist.org/hsh/5784706395.html

●|||||||●

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 07:15:39 AM »
Saw that but not into the Simpsons kettles. Thanks though. I have a pickup scheduled tomorrow on something local. I'll post some pics.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 05:19:40 PM »
Another red came home in my truck today, this time a red SSP. 
I saw this red SSP on OfferUp for $80 in Orlando.  Pretty good price, but I just picked up two red MBH's and an offset handle SJ last weekend, clocking almost 900 miles, and I didn't necessarily want to drive another 300 miles, even for an $80 SSP.  So I half-heartedly threw out a ridiculous low ball offer of $20.  The seller accepted immediately!   (Sigh).... Ok, back in the car, queue Willy and Weiland's "on the road again".

It's an "EE" code, missing the propane tank, but otherwise in great shape.  No rust except on the bottom of the axle.  He even left a mix of lump and briquettes in the bin.  I never dreamed I'd own one of these jewels, especially for $20!

Stay tuned... I should be bringing a couple more redheads home in the next few weeks. 

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 05:42:33 PM »
Awesome score!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
A trunk full of reds
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 05:29:39 AM »
Just had coffee with my new redhead and found out she's a few years older than I thought.  Because I don't have a cover yet, there was some dew on her this morning.  I rubbed the grime off what I thought was an "EE" code which turned out to be an "ER" code.  So it's a '96.  Still feels like a dream to finally have one of these.  Not gonna say it's my "Grail", but damn I love it already.  It's pretty solid. 

I wiped it dry and then gave it a quick once-over with 0000 before heading to work.

Incidentally we just got a new coffee press which matches, so I couldn't help but take a pic.
Can someone tell me where I can obtain a 5lb tank for less than $50?! 

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:30:44 AM by Mr.CPHo »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2016, 03:37:57 PM »
I replaced the 5lb propane tank in the SSP today, it lit right up on the first start!  Decided to take a group photo of a few of the redheaded sisters together.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2016, 04:20:29 PM »
Very nice. Where did you get the tank?