Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber S-470 at 1 month  (Read 3039 times)

yws231

• Smokey Joe
Weber S-470 at 1 month
« on: July 01, 2016, 11:55:38 AM »
 Well a little past one month.

So far we have done burgers, dogs, Italians, rotiserrie chicken twice, T-bone steaks, butterfly pork chops, pork tenderloin.

Most things have gone well. My main thoughts on the S-470 Too much grill for me.

It does everything it should do but like its on steroids. It gets really HOT when everything is lit up. I had it up to 725 when doing steaks. I think it would have gone more if I wanted.

It is well constructed and works well. If I were Bobby Flay and entertaining every night this would be the grill.

Its me not the grill. I really regret not getting the Genesis s330.

I may put this up for sale and take a loss and still get the Genesis.

:'( :'(
Weber 2016 S-470
Weber 1999 Genesis Platinum Series II
Weber 1997 char/gas performer

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Weber S-470 at 1 month
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 02:08:13 PM »
You know, there might come a day when you have the bmw (Genesis) and some party, whatever comes about that you wished you had that Ferrari (470) that you've already paid for. Just my opinion. Good luck in your endeavors.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 02:48:04 PM »
It sounds more like technique issues than a grill issue. I've heard people regretting not getting a bigger grill, but not a smaller one. It takes time, practice and patience and before you know it you'll be saying "glad I didn't sell my Summit! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

yws231

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 06:09:05 PM »
Hey guys,

You are probably right. Its me for sure not the grill. I will more than likely adjust and get better at working this thing. Thanks for the input!
Weber 2016 S-470

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 07:16:26 PM »
Hey guys,

You are probably right. Its me for sure not the grill. I will more than likely adjust and get better at working this thing. Thanks for the input!
We are here to help. I've been grilling on my summit for five years now. It took some time for me to get use to it. If you have any questions on your next cook just post it on here and I'm sure you will get some positive feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 06:08:24 AM »
Keep the summit, do not take a loss, learn your tool and love it, it is one of the best gas grills on the market.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 07:52:50 AM »
It does not make sense to take the loss on such a cool grill. Take that money that you would have lost and keep buying meat or tools to keep practicing.  You'll get it soon enough!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

yws231

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 07:53:57 AM »
All good points guys. You have talked me off the ledge.

I will keep working it. We have a family get together today with simple stuff so we will work on it.

Thanks!
Weber 2016 S-470

mistrtj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 08:33:43 AM »
I have the 470 in black enamel. LOVE IT!
YES, it's a lot of grill! YES it gets hot as hell! But one of the great things about the grill is you don't always have to use it as a flame thrower! I've done a beautiful 5 bone prime rib on the roti and had most burners dialed back. I LOVE the way I've been able to sear decent-sized prime NY steaks (16-18 oz) on the sear station and set the steak over burners that are off to finish the steak to a perfect MR. When doing skinless/boneless chicken, I only open the burners up to half. Wifey loves grilled fish and the 470's burners dialed back let the fish bake as it crusts.
The beauty of the 470 is NOT the heat, it's the SS rod cooking grates, it's the even heat distribution, it's the rotisserie, it's the IR burner, it's the side burner, smoke box, sear station, fuel level indicator, slide out drip/drop pan for easy cleaning,,,,
I wish I had gotten the 670!

mistrtj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 08:35:35 AM »
I have the 470 in black enamel. LOVE IT!
YES, it's a lot of grill! YES it gets hot as hell! But one of the great things about the grill is you don't always have to use it as a flame thrower! I've done a beautiful 5 bone prime rib on the roti and had most burners dialed back. I LOVE the way I've been able to sear decent-sized prime NY steaks (16-18 oz) on the sear station and set the steak over burners that are off to finish the steak to a perfect MR. When doing skinless/boneless chicken, I only open the burners up to half. Wifey loves grilled fish and the 470's burners dialed back let the fish bake as it crusts.
The beauty of the 470 is NOT the heat, it's the SS rod cooking grates, it's the even heat distribution, it's the rotisserie, it's the IR burner, it's the side burner, smoke box, sear station, fuel level indicator, slide out drip/drop pan for easy cleaning,,,,
I wish I had gotten the 670!

mistrtj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 08:36:14 AM »
Sorry,,, twitchy posting finger.