Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Orange Peel Finish  (Read 1877 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Orange Peel Finish
« on: August 08, 2016, 05:27:44 PM »
I'm hoping to get a better understanding of the orange peel finish. I've seen posts with older kettles sporting this finish. Was it a mistake by Weber or considered a defect in production? I think it looks great and I'm picking up an A code with the orange peel on Thursday. Just want to know more about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Orange Peel Finish
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 05:36:38 PM »
I don't know, kettlebb. Obviously something with the paint, right?
Maybe the spray pressure on the assembly or the way it was hung going through the paint dept, or the elements in the mixture?
I love it also. Looking forward to the responses here. Good topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Orange Peel Finish
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 05:46:36 PM »

Orange peel and what almost looks like a drip in my G code black.

addicted to charcoal...

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »
I think that looks cool kneab!  This was posted a few years ago by @Hogsy. The Weber document and the drip make me lean towards a defect somehow in production. I know very little about enamel and how it is applied to steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 06:00:43 PM »

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 06:11:03 PM »
The orange peel happened in more than one year, so I don't know if I would call it a defect per se.
I have a "B" code black with orange peel, pretty sure one of my old WSMs has it, I think I have a patented 18.5" with it, and I think an "A" Smokey Joe too.
Is it the porcelain they used? The steel? The temp they were baked it at? Humidity or other environmental factors? Don't know.
Don't care either. I love the way it looks.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 06:32:50 PM »
It isn't the steel. It all has to do with the formulation of the porcelain, and possibly temperature...which of course is dependant on the porcelain formula.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 06:53:02 PM »
I love the texture of it. I saw it in the ad before I went to get it. Had to have it 😊

addicted to charcoal
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 06:53:37 PM »
Weber does not make "mistakes". I have Kettles from too many years having varying degrees of orange peel for it to be any sort of a defect as well.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 07:09:26 PM »
In automotive paint orange peel occurs when the paint starts to cure before fully leveling out after spraying.  You can control it by adjusting the type of reducers and chemical hardeners for the temperatures you are working in. 

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 07:14:20 PM »
The orange peel look is most prevalent on kettles made from about 1975-85 or so.. It's my personal favorite, especially on red and black kettles and WSMs of the era.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:18:09 PM by Craig »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Orange Peel Finish
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 08:07:22 PM »
I think I may have figured it out. From the years Craig mentioned, Weber paint dept. employed two brothers named Daryl. Both liked to drink a little and their coffee thermos was always empty by the end of the shift when the other brother Daryl relieved him...with a fresh thermos... Lord bless Daryl and the other brother, Daryl...

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:12:09 PM by Travis »

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 05:10:32 AM »
On Happy Cookers too...

Dude, relax your chicken.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 05:26:57 AM »
Happy Cooker must have employed Daryl & Daryl's other brother Larry.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 07:41:42 AM »
Was going to say what Dazzo said , it's on HCs too . So I think it's just part of how the process was back then

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs