Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Recommendations for a Coffee/nut roasting baskets ?  (Read 1185 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Recommendations for a Coffee/nut roasting baskets ?
« on: November 09, 2015, 08:46:11 AM »
    I've been looking on-line and see quite a few available. The plan is to roast nuts primarily . My daughters scout troop wants to sell nuts as a fund raiser so I volunteered to build them an affordable and portable set up to use so any guidance would be appreciated

Thanks for looking
Idahawk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Recommendations for a Coffee/nut roasting baskets ?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 04:23:27 PM »
Are you looking for a rotisserie setup? 

If you want to roast coffee, I would highly suggest you look into an RK Drum Roaster. http://www.rkdrums.com/index.php

I have the older style 4 lb. Drum and 50 RPM hand built by Ron Kyle shortly before he passed away. The company still lives on and has some really nice products. They are a bit on the spendy side, but they are serious hardware. I've lost track of how much coffee I've roasted on mine (over 500 lbs and counting).

A lot of commercial roasters got their start on hotrod Drum Rosters. I've not roasted nuts or Cacao (yet) but these units will get the job done.

There are lesser quality units out there, and I'm sure you could modify some of those countertop rotisserie tumble baskets that could work. The trick is to keep them moving at a higher speed than BBQ rotis motors.

As far as pans for roasting nuts, I use those square perforated grill baskets with the angled sides. I can fit 3 of them in my Cookshack or 22" WSM with a raised grate or Stacker. @ 1lb each is ideal.

When my daughter was in JHS she did a presentation on coffee growing and processing, found a charity that assisted Rwandan villagers coffee efforts, we bought their Green Beans, roasted them and sold them through her school and donated everything back. It was very successful, the coffee was really good and the teachers, parents and kids dug it.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!