Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SV Prime Rib  (Read 1264 times)

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
SV Prime Rib
« on: November 07, 2015, 08:57:53 AM »
Yeah I know I said I'd never do it,  but it was the only way due to time. Dropped in bath at 129 Friday morning, pulled out 12   hours later. Cold shocked in ice water, then fridged overnight.  Seasoned with tatonka dust. Smoked at about 225 on the kettle and vortex with hickory and cherry until back up to 129.

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: SV Prime Rib
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 09:11:35 AM »
Damn, looks delicious!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »
It got a full round of smoking on the kettle, you're forgiven 8)

It looks great! I'm just curious what the issue was with timing if you ended up taking it from fridge temps to 129 on the kettle after the sous vide and cold shock? Is there a lot of difference in doing the sous vide first and then smoking vs just smoking?

Sorry if that's a dumb question I'm just starting to learn about sous vide but have never done it myself.

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 09:36:19 AM »
It seems to me they come back up to temp faster after sous vide. Normally when Im smoking a prime rib I figure on 4-6 hours and I didn't have that kind of time today. Maybe this one cooked faster because it was so small. It was back to 129 in less than 2 hours. I don't know if its better but I'd say it's at least equal. The taste and tenderness were phenomenal.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 09:57:29 AM »
Second to last shot wins. I'd certainly take a plate......wow.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 07:16:29 AM »
I'll take a plate of that!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!