Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red at last!  (Read 3775 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Red at last!
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:56:34 PM »
I won this ebay auction a couple of weeks ago for $50.  It was down in San Diego, and I sent off a message to the seller before I paid asking if I could drive down to San Diego to pick it up.  He didn't get back to me for 24 hours.  Finally, I decided to just go ahead and pay shipping, because as much as I love San Diego, $50 shipping would be just as cheap as gas to and from San Diego.  Anyway, about an hour after I paid, he sent me a message with his phone number.  Long story short, he told me he was driving to Vegas today for business, and asked if he would like to drop the grill off at my house...as he already had my address anyway.  Heck yes!  I even told him I'd pay $60 for his trouble.  He dropped it off today, and it is a 1978 MBH...my birth year!  washed it off tonight and did a little work here and there, but overall this kettle is in pretty good shape.

I'll post more pics after I fix a few more things here and there.

The full crew!  The lovely wife is starting to become concerned...

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Re: Red at last!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:41:34 PM »
'78 last year before the vent damper marking.  Take a good look at the depth and sheen of that new (to you) Red MBH 22".   Great find and save.  The one's that don't get any attention often end up at the dump :(      I love that color red.                          SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 02:50:43 AM »
Good looking Redhead you got there. Tell the wife it will be okay.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 04:06:53 AM »
That is a beautiful Redhead! Congrats!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 05:35:33 AM »
Nice, I look forward to the more pics and/or the restore.  It's more fun cooking on a red!  I just scored my birth year kettle a couple months ago.  How do you tell the 77s from the 78s?  (I knew because of discontinued color and new style wheels)

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 05:49:10 AM »
Beautiful Red, I have one like it...love mine

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 08:39:43 AM »
Looking good!
May The Smoke Be With You!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »
I almost bid on that kettle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 10:19:38 AM »
@weldboy I have to say I was surprised I was the only bidder.  It wasn't perfect, but when it came down to the last minute and no one had put in a starting bid, I figured I might as well go for it...Also, the seller was a true Grillfella.  He was the original owner and has been using it since 78.  I couldn't believe he was willing to pack it in his van and drive to my house (20 minutes off the strip) to deliver.   

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
Red at last!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 10:35:24 AM »
I regretted not bidding on it but I actually ended up with a red yesterday that I found locally. That's awesome that it came from the original owner and he delivered it! Very nice @crowderjd

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:47:07 AM by weldboy »

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 12:39:59 PM »
@weldboy , kettles will come to you weldboy. They'll show up in Iowa for reasons you can't even fathom. They'll turn up in your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing to be restored. Of course, I won't mind if you end up in my garage, you'll say. It's only $20. You'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money you have and kettles you lack. And you'll walk out to the backyard; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. You'll find you have a reserved seat at the picnic table, where you sat when you were young and got a good long whiff of burning coals. And you'll watch the kettle and it'll be as if you dipped yourself in magic waters. The ashes will be so thick you'll have to brush them away from your face. Kettles will come weldboy. The one constant through all the years, weldboy, has been grilling. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But grilling has marked the time. This kettle, this redhead: it's a part of our past, weldboy. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... kettles will come weldboy. Kettles will most definitely come.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »
Hahahahaha.....bahahahaha lmao @MartyG that's awesome

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 01:53:57 PM »
@weldboy Congratulations!  It looks great!  It's funny how it works...if you are in Iowa, there was that nice green performer up there as well...It's not heaven...it's Iowa.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 01:58:31 PM »
 Actually bought the redhead and a brownie off the guy that had that green SS. He is actually a Wkc member as well.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
Nice!  My brownie is sitting in St. Louis awaiting my pickup.  I can't wait to add it to the mix.