Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grillgrates or Craycort?  (Read 1626 times)

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Grillgrates or Craycort?
« on: August 02, 2015, 09:58:15 AM »
I'm looking a grates,  wondering if you have a preference Grillgrates or Craycort? Or should I try both!
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grillgrates or Craycort?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 10:02:45 AM »
I haven't tried either but I know folks here say the craycorts are a PITA to clean. I like the Weber gourmet set up with the multiple insert options. Just one mans opinion. I'm sure others will chime in.     8)
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 10:10:29 AM »
The craycorts also make the charcoal area hard to access. The openings for each panel are small.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:28:16 AM »

I would save your money and just use the Weber grates with the hinge.  Take a look at what Meathead has to say about grill grates on charcoal grills.  I totally agree with him.  You will get the infrared searing from the charcoal and you do not need anything else for the kettle.  I say this knowing many here will disagree.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 12:13:11 PM »
i'm really not a fan of grillgrates
they're really only good for getting crisp clean marks
but even then, they mark too dark. the maillard reaction is where the marks come from. Sugars in food essentially caramelize into that nice golden brown mahogany.
With grill grates, this happens very fast because all of the heat is conducted directly to the surface of the grates.
Everything marked with grill grates will get a dark black mark, which is actually TOO dark. It's just like making caramel. You want your marks to be a rich brown/mahogany color. Black marks are burnt and bitter.

Plus they prevent fats and juices from dripping into the coals - which is where some of the best flavors come from!

Chip

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 02:46:18 PM »
I bought a Craycort cast iron grate almost immediately after i bought my 22 and I really like it. A bit difficult to clean around the outside, but other than that it looks practically new after almost nine years. It does make the rig very topheavy, so yes you have to be careful when moving it.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 03:41:19 PM »
I have both and like them both for a different reasons. Craycort CI with 4 sections are nice to use. I like CI grates in general. I have veggi wok and chicken seat inserts I like to use sometimes on it too.

Grillgrates come in 3 pieces that can be used on any size charcoal or gas grills. Only use it for grilling high fat content meat like ribeye steaks without any flare ups. No maillard reaction Troy is talking about but I noticed steaks turn out more juicer. I flip meat often so no black lines, just golden brown all over. Think about all indirect or roti cooks we all do. You don't get flare ups but they do turn out great. Just my opinion.

mobiledynamics

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 04:02:01 PM »
I have considered Craycorts. I see winter and my outdoor cooking appliances stay outdoors. I did not want to mess with rusty metal, seasoned or not...

I did buy the GG . I use it more for griddles, vegs.
For the steaks, I still prefer searing right of the OEM grates where it sees fire

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 04:22:44 PM »

I did buy the GG . I use it more for griddles, vegs.
For the steaks, I still prefer searing right of the OEM grates where it sees fire

Good point! Using the back side of the grillgrates.  As for grilling steaks.... I like to change things up.