Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Outsourced Weber Kettle... "Woolco" (for Woolworth's department store?)  (Read 960 times)

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
Greetings all.  I am a relative newb... not to grilling, but to being a kettlehead.  I'm about to pick up my fourth this weekend (have a line on a used JJ).

I am looking at FB marketplace, and see a "Woolco" kettle that the seller claims was made by Weber for Woolworth's department stores in the 70s.  It sure looks the part, as it appears identical to a Weber kettle in all respects, except for a handle that says "Woolco" on it.  Seller only wants $20 for it, and it appears to be rust free.  Probably will look great with the razor scrape / steel wool cleaning that I've done on my other kettles.

However (and here's the part where I offend the entire populace of the site), I am not compelled to get it... because candidly, it is pretty boring.  It is the 'standard' black kettle.  The handle is plastic (and other than saying 'Woolco', is not interesting).  It doesn't have any of the 'old kettle' gray discoloration.  While it would seemingly clean up nice... it would clean up to be a standard (but older) 22" kettle.  I'm not feeling driven to annoy the wife with a 5th kettle that is pretty standard overall.

I am wondering, however, whether I am passing on a 'gem' of some kind that I should be running to get.  Anyone aware of such 'outsourced' Weber kettles?  Think it has any significant collector value? 

It is only $20... and only 20 mins away, so it is an easy, low risk grab.  But what will likely happen with it... is it will sit and take up space in the ever-shrinking garage.  It doesn't have the appeal of a redhead, or brownie, or even a more modern colored kettle.  Unless it is a 'find'... I'm going to pass.

Thoughts?

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
Go get it.
More than likely someone here will buy it from you.
Most likely @brewtownbeatdown
He really likes the variants.

You don't list your location in your profile.
It would help on several levels.

-Rob

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
   You could use it as a trade at one of the meetups if you're close enough.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Go get it.
More than likely someone here will buy it from you.
Most likely @brewtownbeatdown
He really likes the variants.

You don't list your location in your profile.
It would help on several levels.

-Rob
Not sure if I should be upset, or flattered, by the mention[emoji23]

The Woolco (& it’s Kmart twin) aren’t high on any grail lists.  It’s made by Weber and sounds like it in good condition.  IMO, it’s worth $20, and 20 minutes.  Of course, I like the “odd” stuff. 

NW Indiana is close enough to join the Chicago meet-up, with this kettle in tow.  I know someone who’d probably be happy to grab it[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
If there are any pics available please post them and/or a link to the sale, for pictoral documentation and conversation.

I dont think its very likely that there is another member with a woolco branded grill and you'd probly be the first.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer

I would not hesitate at all to grab that. 
Especially considering the price and the distance travelled.

Black is beautiful!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

baglorious

• Smokey Joe
Yep.  That's it... in good ol' Walkerton, Indiana.  Here's the FB marketplace post.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2065026650428428

Not that I expected the kettlehead members of this site to be purveyors of restraint... but I expected at least someone to say "if it doesn't float your boat, don't get it."

Now, I'll probably feel compelled to go get it.  AND THEN, I'll be compelled to come to a Weber gathering.  (I did note the nearby one coming up.)  The missus will be absolutely delighted.  Phbbbbt.

Someone should run to Walkerton and snap this up so I don't have to continue this mental debate with myself...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
... I expected at least someone to say "if it doesn't float your boat, don't get it."...

I'll step up.

I'm still purging some acquisitions from last fall, and I don't have a large collection. They'll all go at a financial loss, because when the mood strikes, the hunt of the thing is what I pay for, not so much the grill itself.

But yeah, if you'd like to get it as a bargaining chip, or as a trinket for trade at a future meetup etc, there's no reason why you have to "love it" in order to get it.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch