Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thinking about gas....  (Read 3945 times)

bwb

• Smokey Joe
Thinking about gas....
« on: May 26, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »
My wife wants a gas grill to cook things when I'm not around. She likes it when I grill but I can't get her to use charcoal.
She wants to turn it on and cook and turn it off- grilling veggies or maybe roasting a chicken.

Ive been looking for a used one in our area for a while.
My original thought has been a genesis or spirit

But a WebberQ keeps popping up here.
Have any of you ever used one?
Thoughts?
09 Green Performer, 04 Silver Genesis A...

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Thinking about gas....
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 05:57:19 PM »
For light duty the Q's are perfect.  They have a very nice porcelin coated cast iron grate and get hot really fast.  I have used all 3, I like the portability of the 100/1000 series, but I think the 200 gives the best of both worlds as a home cooker and a portable.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »
get her a griddle pan for the stove. same thing and its in her natural habitat.

the kitchen.

its a joke that had to be made.

Camp

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 06:07:57 PM »
I have used my Baby-Q for years.

It's compact, and well designed.

If you want to invest, and have the room, Weber has some really nice NEW grills.

I just got this gasser, and it's awesome.

It's the Spirit E-220

SS Green Performer, Blue OTP, Red MBH, Green OTS, 79 Black MBH, Blue 18.5 Platinum, Black OTG, and a brand new Spirit E gasser.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 06:11:55 PM »
I have a Q100 I picked up cheap off of CL and use for quick things like hot dogs or searing. It works great for cooking direct, but really can't do indirect as it only has one burner.  The larger Q grills have two burners, so I believe they would be a little more versatile. I like mine, but it is definitely limited on what it can do, and I will replace it with one of the larger Q's if the right deal comes along
-Keith

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 07:18:44 PM »
Even the 2 burner q's aren't that good at indirect. I would look for a 2 or 3 burner Genesis or Spirit.
If going used, these are fairly inexpensive and aren't too bad to refurb or clean up.
Way more versatile and user friendly. Parts are easy and you have various  grate options
Just my 2 sense.. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 08:23:56 PM »
I have an older Genesis that is an awesome grill. It was a $40 CL find.
I also have a Q 200. It can cook steaks, chops, burgers or dogs (or veggies) like a champ! I have also grilled chicken thighs and wings on it with good success. Unlike most gas grills the drippings fall below the burner and run down to a drip pan. Flair ups are a non-issue if you keep the grill clean.
 As stated earlier, there really isn't an indirect option with this grill. I have not attempted a whole chicken, but I bet that it would work.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 10:33:55 PM »
The Q's are great , I have all 3 models and love them!!
It's all about technique when cooking indirect on the Q
This is how we do it downunder

Weber OZ have even designed their own indirect cooking setups for convection cooking
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 08:17:01 AM »
I have a Q also and its a great little grill. I haven't filled the tank since I started with charcoal to my wife's dismay.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 08:32:49 AM »
I picked up two of these in bad shape and built one out of the parts , I'm in both for less then 30 bucks .

Same deal wife wants to grill when I'm gone, and like someone said a far better set up for indirect plus  way more room .

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

GOMRDS

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 09:01:39 AM »
Can't argue with the Q for light duty.

Can anyone comment on the functionality of the old gassers vs. new? I like the minimalist look of the older ones without the doors and such.
Char Q
18.5" Copper Samuel Adams
Red SS Performer code EO

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 09:48:58 AM »

Can anyone comment on the functionality of the old gassers vs. new? I like the minimalist look of the older ones without the doors and such.
[/

A 3 burner Weber  grill has changed little under the hood over the years , they've added more tin , but everything else is the same.

bwb

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 11:24:02 AM »
This is exactly what I've been looking for - or a Red one ;-)
Just have not seen one on our local Craig's list in a month.
In fact there was a Skyline for sale in orlando that looked perfect - but thats four hours away from me!

We have a vacation planned near Atlanta Ga soon- there are always a few up there for sale.
If I have not found one by then I'll pick one up there.

BWB

I picked up two of these in bad shape and built one out of the parts , I'm in both for less then 30 bucks .

Same deal wife wants to grill when I'm gone, and like someone said a far better set up for indirect plus  way more room .

09 Green Performer, 04 Silver Genesis A...

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 12:23:03 PM »

This is exactly what I've been looking for - or a Red one ;-)
Just have not seen one on our local Craig's list in a month.
In fact there was a Skyline for sale in orlando that looked perfect - but thats four hours away from me!

We have a vacation planned near Atlanta Ga soon- there are always a few up there for sale.
If I have not found one by then I'll pick one up there.

BWB

a skylines only differences are the logo, the basket tool holder , and instead of wood slats in the work tables it's a deck tech like material , it took a year and some parts from Bman before I got this together . Even if you find a black one you can change out hoods in one minute , I keep a red hood for mine just to change it up , now I want a plum after seeing one :)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »

Hopefully Bman will jump in here, as he definitely knows gassers.
 In the '80s and '90s the Genesis grills had 13 flavorizor bars and a deeper grill box.
The late '90s and early '00s had 5 flavorizors and a shallower box. Both generations have basically the same manifold and burners.
Sometime in the mid '00s they dropped the "East/West" burner configuration for the current "North /South" set up.
The old gassers are some of the best gas grills ever made and parts are plentiful. The E/W configuration is often sought out for rotisserie use.
My 2¢.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC