Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: One Small Step for Me...  (Read 2726 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
One Small Step for Me...
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:55:40 AM »
Hey, Everyone:

The training wheels are off, the helmet is on, and we're going on gut feeling, the last being anathema to everyone who swears by their Mavericks.  Two racks of baby backs, two different rubs, and breaking in my rib rack, all on my kettle, snake lit, chunks on, smoke rising, etc., etc.  More photos to follow.

The second photo shows the kettle temp a few minutes after I put the ribs in the kettle.

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
Re: One Small Step for Me...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:01:41 AM »
looks good. Good luck with those.

Ken
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:06:29 PM »

zingin' right along !!!!

Disreguard my question in the other thread.....ribs is "what's cookin" !!!!

I bid you a grate cookup !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 01:34:23 PM »
This looks like it's gonna be good ;) When cooking ribs I go by time and pull back on the bones for doneness, I only use the maverick for kettle temp.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 03:26:28 PM »
Mistakes abound!  Where to start, let's see...meat side down, ya' think?  What you won't see -- the ribs got stuck in the rib rack from curling and from the meat sticking to the metal.  Also, the ends of the ribs hung over the rib rack, and what touched the cooking grate got stuck to the cooking grate.  This is like shooting trap -- when you're on the firing line you gotta concentrate and you can't let your mind wander.  "Focus, Luke.  Use the Force."

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »
Looks like they turned out good!  Nice smoke ring!   ;D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »

They got some nice rich color.....how was the flavor?

Everybody happy with the taste?

The sticking might be sugar in the rub.....it will turn sticky & glue-like under certain conditions.....conditions I'm not sure of, just know that it happens......or it could just be the fat from the meat on clean grates.........

Maybe a very lite coating of cooking oil on grates or racks, just as they're heating up would help with the sticking prob.?

This is a cook that was a lot like yours:

i left the membrane on so they were easier to move around once the cooking was farther along.....
The wife concocted some spicy, sticky-ass glaze & I was concerned about sticking a bit, however, well-seasoned grates (read: full of used, baked bacon grease), membrane on & meat side up, except for right near the end to bake the sauce a bit....and there was no sticking.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 02:37:12 AM »
Buckie:  The flavor was good.  Everybody, aka my wife, liked the way they came out.  She LOVES when the meat falls away from the bone...of the ribs, that is.  AND she liked Meathead's Memphis Dust.  She wants me to do the ribs again, this time, using ones that weren't previously frozen and using the Memphis Dust.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 02:41:29 AM »

The sticking might be sugar in the rub.....it will turn sticky & glue-like under certain conditions.....conditions I'm not sure of, just know that it happens......or it could just be the fat from the meat on clean grates.........

Maybe a very lite coating of cooking oil on grates or racks, just as they're heating up would help with the sticking prob.?

I don't know how many times I end up saying it on this forum, but Buckie is right and a little bit of oil on the grates before putting the meat on will help.  I know I'm doing things right when I agree with Buckie. 

Ribs look like they came out pretty good!

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 03:49:00 AM »
I'd eat um'  ;D
-Keith

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 06:13:53 AM »
Looks fantastic! Nice smoke ring, great color YUM!!

peshewah

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 04:50:38 AM »
  Looks real good to me. Good job