Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brownies!  (Read 1920 times)

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
Brownies!
« on: March 17, 2014, 06:07:09 PM »
I haven't made these in a while and felt like baking something today after work.  I rarely eat at home during the week so if I need to get my grilling fix I usually bake something.

Oh yeah, they are moist and chewy if you go for that kind of thing....I love chocolate but have never really cared for brownies....the rest of the family loves them though and I love to grill! ;D
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
Re: Brownies!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:21:59 PM »
Ooh hell yeah, count me in. I gotta try this.. why isn't there a drooling emoticon on here..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:26:35 PM »

Yer KILLIN' Me Man !!!

I'm still tryin' ta get the courage screwed up to do the tomato & cheese pie..... :o

What kinds of temps do you do this "baking" thing at & how stable, for how long do some things have to be.....I mean, is there ever a longer bake where you're adding coals, or ever a problem with temp drop......or am I just all worried about things that don't matter, or..................?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:50:21 PM »
Usually I bake at 350 degrees. For most recipes it's 350-375 range. You will see some baking recipes go higher but I go for 350 and bake until a toothpick or knife comes out clean. Again, most baking stuff doesn't require longer than an hour. I don't add more coals since I try to start out with enough for the heat and duration before I get the mixture/dough on the grill. I use Kingsford charcoal exclusively( Blue Bag) because I can get it at Sam's Club for pretty cheap and since I use it all the time I know how it burns and it is consistent........I let the coals get pretty much completely lit before I dump them in the grill since I don't want smoke during the cook/bake. My grill holds 350 steady for at least and hour and most things I bake take between 30 minutes to an hour....so no problems. Don't worry...just bake something and it will turn out great! By the way, I do almost all of my temp control with the bottom vents and when it comes to baking something I ALWAYS have the top vent wide open. I try to get a good efficient fire going without too much smoke....but remember....the only way anything used to get baked was in a wood/charcoal burning oven so don't sweat it....have fun and enjoy some great food! Post the recipe for your Tomato and cheese pie and I will make one if it will get you past the fear of baking. ;) As long as you don't try to bake with your grill set up for smoking you will be fine. One last thing....remember that I have made cheesecakes and key lime pies on the Weber.....those are more trouble than a regular pie or cake or even bread....and they are a breeze on the grill.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 07:03:11 PM »
I should also mention, for reasons that are to involved ( Stupid) to go into here....I don't have an oven in my house. I have a toaster oven that can handle small pans but if I want to bake anything full size I need to do it on the grill. One more thing about baking on the Weber....for at least an hour duration your Weber will bake at a much more consistent temperature than any electric and I suspect gas oven. Since they work on a thermostat kind of thing...they will heat to slightly higher than your target temp and drop to just below you target temp and so on until the bake is done.....the Weber will/should hold a very steady temperature unless variables like cold, rain, wind or some other outside force disturbs your grill....and like I have said, I have made Cheesecake on the Weber....and if there ever was something that would be ruined by smoke if would be cheesecake.....just don't smoke any bacon at the same time or throw any chunks of hickory in there just 'cause you like to see smoke! ::)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 07:14:30 PM »

Here's the original T & C Pie:

Just layer tomato, cheese & sausage slices & repeat 'till full....

Comes out scrumtious !!!

This is a more recent one:

But she used grated cheese, the tomatoes were really ripe & I asked what temp & she said 450f.....those things are different from previously, I'm sure....

And as you can see the liquid level is very high.....

Tasted grate, just that I'm not used to eating pie with a straw..... :o

The main concern I had was the 450 temp....that may be hard to keep for a time, but maybe not.....

Other thing was, she got me a cast iron pie plate & I was paying attention in class when you said:"Get it out of the C I so it stops cooking..."

My general plan was to set the cast into a larger handled pan I have & cook raised up on baskets / bricks   'till it's not all the way done & allow the residual to "finish" the bake.....

Sound too daffy?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:23:53 PM »

Can I smoke the cheese separately?

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 06:18:49 AM »
That looks good! 450 degrees for how long? If it is for an hour or so I don't see any problem holding the temperature. Since the pie you are talking about is savory and not sweet the slight smoke flavor may actually enhance the final product....so adding more fuel may not be an issue. My suggestion for any pie, and for this kind in particular would be to set up your grill like I do for pizzas. I am at work right now so I can't post any pictures but if you go to one of the posts I have done for pizza you will see what I mean. I would set up a ring of charcoal using plenty of fuel to run a HOT fire and then raise the pie up off of the cooking grate closer to the dome. The heat will be much hotter up there and it will bake the top of your pie at the same speed as the bottom/rest of it. Since you will not be baking over direct heat you will not burn the bottom. As far as your cast iron pie plate.....I would use a disposable pie tin for this kind of thing. Although a cast iron pie plate will no doubt work for this kind of thing, I would avoid it for the reasons I have mentioned before and that you have referenced in your post. I bake pizza on a cast iron pan and bake beer bread and cornbread and the like on cast iron too, but as I have said before...I take them off/out of the pan as soon as I get it in the house to prevent burning . I also would suggest that you bake the pie until it is done on the grill and then pull it off to cool as opposed to pulling it off too soon as to allow for the pan to bake it the rest of the way .....you will probably end up with a pie that is not completely baked or if you are making bread ....the middle will not be done etc. and even if it comes out good the first time it will be difficult to produce the same results every time since other factors may cause the cast iron to cool faster/slower everytime. I hope this helps in some way.....geez I can go on and on and on......

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 06:21:49 AM »
Oh , for what it's worth....I believe that you can bake a pie in a glass pie dish as long as you don't place it over the direct coals. I have never done this but I would have no issue doing it either. If it can go it the oven it can go in the Weber! I have seen Bob over at BBQPITBOYS use a glass dish in at least one of their videos.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 07:24:34 AM »

"then raise the pie up off of the cooking grate closer to the dome. The heat will be much hotter up there and it will bake the top of your pie at the same speed as the bottom/rest of it.'

Yeah, I could have been more clear on that.....firebrick on top of the ordinary cooking grate to raise it up.....

"Oh , for what it's worth....I believe that you can bake a pie in a glass pie dish as long as you don't place it over the direct coals."

No, I can't..............'cause SWMBO says so (her glass).............and that's the rest of that story !!!!

I have a bunch of tin plates & may go that route....thanks for the insight......coming from a "Constant Kettle Baker", it really helps...........
Might give the cast a squeek thru also, as she sent away for that, just for me................we'll see.....