Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Guy Here with a Performer and 1st Time Cook [Tri-Tip]  (Read 2629 times)

navin

• Happy Cooker
New Guy Here with a Performer and 1st Time Cook [Tri-Tip]
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:47:43 AM »
Hey all -- been a lurker on this forum for awhile and it kind of pushed me to pursue picking up a charcoal grill. I've been searching craigslist high and low for a couple of months for a Performer, and happened to stumble upon a gem this past weekend. Basically a brand new Performer with the gas ignition for basically 1/2 off -- SCORE!

So i decided to break it in with a Tri-Tip -- I usually reverse sear this on my gas grill as well, but never could really get the temps up to a point to get a real good sear on it. Sorry don't have a pre-cook pictures, but only the aftermath.

Cooked indirect till about 125, pulled and then seared it for about 3 minutes per side. I used a Stubbs beef rub I found at Wegman's, along with Wegman's basting oil before searing.

I did have some general questions that I was hoping I could post here as well...

1. When you all use the gas ignition, how long do you leave it on when lighting the coals. I have the Chimney starter from Weber and I only left it on for maybe a minute or two to let the bottom coals ignite first and then let it work itself up to the coals on the top.

2. When indirect cooking how do you all go about lighting more coals for a higher temp -- take the meat off and put the starter back on or maybe I'm missing something here.

Not sure what I want to cook next, I'm thinking maybe chicken wings :)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Re: New Guy Here with a Performer and 1st Time Cook [Tri-Tip]
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »
Meat looks really good! 

To answer your questions, I don't have a performer so I can't say anything about 1.  For 2, I have the hinged grates, so if I do indirect I bank the coals or set them up in a way that it's easy to flip over the hinged grate and add some more charcoal that way.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 12:05:08 PM »
Okay, send some of that to Maryland.  Thanks buddy….

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »
That's some perfectly cooked meat you got there! For #1 I do exactly what you do you can leave it on longer if you are in a rush though. For #2 you could just add charcoal to the existing fire. Be careful not to get charcoal dust on your food. Welcome to the site. Make sure you check in at the introduce yourself forum
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Sonny Roach

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 01:26:58 PM »
Tri tip looks amazing, wings should be next for sure....
I leave the gas assist on three or four minutes, usually long enough to have the chimney going well. Hinged grill to add or just lift one side with the tongs.

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:43:22 PM »
I leave the gas on 5 minutes but I put the coal in 2 baskets and than wait that all light up!
BBQ are never enough

navin

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 04:53:01 AM »
Thanks guys -- appreciate the info and kind words. Actually had to use the stuffed paper way to light the kettle, and it worked like a charm as well, not sure what happened with the propane but I'll have to grab another bottle just to make sure something with the igniter isn't screwy.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 05:47:26 PM »
Hi there. Tri tip pics are making me hungry and I just had a boat load of turkey dinner.

1) the time doesn't matter when lighting the coals. Its whatever. You don't need to start a timer. The way you are doing it is good. All you really need to is get the ones on the bottom lit and let the thermodynamics take hold. If you want to let it run longer no problem. I have a SS performer and honestly 2 starter cubes seems to work faster. In the chimney at least. I don't use the baskets.

2) use the baskets. It will make resetting your fire a lot easier. Or bank all coals on one side to make a 2 zone fire. Then you can indirect and then sear on the other side. I personally use a sear grate and get that somebitch piping hot and sear first and move to indirect heat after. I've never done the reverse sear technique.

...or
1) it's a charcoal light assist and not a heat source for cooking
2) if it tastes good keep doing that. And keep experimenting.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 04:42:18 AM »
Great work, Navin!  It looks pretty perfect from here.

1.  On the burner, do whatever works.  I usually run mine for about 5 minutes just to be sure the coals will light.  I light it up and then go inside to finish up my prep work in the kitchen.

2.  I use a 2 zone fire for reverse searing.  My trick is to use a full chimney of coals, but to dump them out into half of the grill before they are all fully lit.  That way, while the meat is roasting, the fire is increasing in heat and I get a better sear.  I'm using lump charcoal, btw. 

Hey, I gotta ask:  where do you get your tri-tip?  I have usually assumed that people cooking it are in California, but then you mentioned Wegmans and now I'm eager to hear where you found tri-tip on the east coast...
One of the charcoal people.

navin

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 02:33:35 PM »
Hey Mike -- thanks for the tips. I see you are from the N.VA area as well so you are probably familiar with the Wegman's by Fairfax Corner. That's where I got my tri-tip, and they usually have some mid-week and very randomly -- I was there last Sunday and they only had two so I had to hoard them.

Costco also has a pre-marinated Tri-Tip which is 'ok' i guess, and I believe Trader Joe's does as well... Hope you find one, and I hope Wegman's doesn't stop carrying them!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 03:33:27 PM »
Thanks, navin!  The BJs near me in Falls Church has started carrying pre-marinated Tri-Tip, which are pretty good.  But I'll find some excuse to get to Wegmans in Fairfax in the hopes of finding an unadulterated version.  Thanks!
One of the charcoal people.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 05:27:22 PM »
Tri-tip looks great!

I leave the propane on just long enough to start the bottom charcoal. That's usually a minute or two. Once it's going, you don't need any more propane and the chimney will do the rest.

I've never been satisfied trying to do the reverse sear in one grill. If the hot portion is hot enough to do a good sear, the cooler section is hotter than I want for the first stage. If I get a lower temperature for the first stage, the hot portion is not hot enough to sear. If I take the meat off while the grill heats up for the sear, the meat cools down. I usually start the meat off in a gasser at a lower temp just to get it to about 115°F and then move it directly to a hot kettle. Once I happened to have the smoker going so I did the first stage on that.

(Couple ribeyes over chuckies destined to become pepper stout beef.)
kettles, smokers...

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »
Tri-tip is only available at central market here in Dallas area. It's a store kinda like whole foods.

I have been experimenting with a steak method to get a nice outer crust and a pink center. I found this technique in an Americas Test Kitchen cook book. Pat steaks dry and add kosher salt to taste and corn starch. Then place in freezer for 45-60 minutes depending on thickness. I use my 26r with a sear grate on top of regular grate. I build a hot fire on one side and heat sear grate till super hot and sear and flip. 2 minutes each side. Remove steaks to cool side of grill to finish. Takes a lot longer to cook up than you would think but come out very nice.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 09:39:23 AM »
That looks great. I have to check out the two Wegmans near me for some. I usually only find it at Trader Joes and it's pricy!

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 05:24:37 AM »
Great looking tri tip.  I know folks cook it here out west.  I learned to BBQ in Austin (home of Stubbs Restaurant/Music Venue) where Tri Tip  was not a staple like brisket.

I really need to get up to speed on cooking Tri Tip.  Yours looks awesome.

I use my Performer's starter under my chimney to start coals for all my other cookers. Run the gas for 5-10 mins or until I see flames coming out the top ;D

I have an old SS performer with the white tank so running out of propane never seems to be an issue.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado