Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Guy Here with a Performer and 1st Time Cook [Tri-Tip]  (Read 2628 times)

kako5256

• WKC Brave
Re: New Guy Here with a Performer and 1st Time Cook [Tri-Tip]
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 07:03:21 AM »
I love my performer. I run the gas assist with chimney until there is fire on top too. But I'm also in a rush half of the time. If you get your coals Half started then move them to basket or charcoal grate, it preheats everything nicely especially when making pizzas on a stone. if I need more heat later, Using tongs and a glove ill add hot coals from a chimney started with paraffin blocks. IMO there's less chance of getting black coal dust on your food.

Welcome! I'm from CA, apparently known for having an abundance of unadulterated tri tip. (Which is true by the way). I have made many awesome tri tip and taste has never been an issue. but Your tri tips looks better than anything I have ever plated. I have never tried searing oil though. Sounds like it helps with the release and presentation too! Thanks for the write up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it's a weber, I can't pass on it. That's my sickness! I hope I am never cured.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 06:39:08 AM »
That really is an excellent looking trip tip you did Navin. It really looks like it was finished to perfection. Good going!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »
to drastically raise temps while mid-cook, add fresh unlight LUMP on top of your already lit coals.
if possible, stir it up a bit to get more lit in contact with the unlit (don't kick up ash though)

I try to grab a couple lit coals with coal tongs and put them on top of the unlit as well.

put the lid on in an offset way that leaves a 1" or more gap directly over the side with the charcoal.
after 5-10 minutes, you should be able to close the lid all the way and increase temps quite a bit

if you don't have 10 minutes, get a weed burner.
or have a 2nd grill ready.
or use a chimney (or mini chimney) to light a load of coals to add