Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling a duck  (Read 7131 times)

spinsheet

• Smokey Joe
Grilling a duck
« on: October 19, 2013, 09:37:21 AM »
Has anyone ever grilled a duck? I've baked them and I love the taste but I want to grill a couple for Thanksgiving. I want to do a dry run with one this weekend to work out the kinks before doing two for the family. Any ideas?

I'm thinking 2 - 2.5 hours at about 300 using the snake method.

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grilling a duck
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:09:03 PM »
Good afternoon spinsheet!

We have grilled duck a couple of times and the are great. 2 questions...1. a whole duck or just a breast and, 2. Are you going to use a roti?

Because a duck is so fatty, I prefer the roti. In my experience, it renders the fat off better. If it is a breast, score the fat to the muscle in several places. This may help if you have never done it...http://vimeo.com/47444736

Both of the ducks (whole) we did, we grilled at 325 for about 2 1/5 to 2 3/4 hrs.

Hope this helps! Slainte!
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

spinsheet

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »
I'm doing a whole duck, no roti. It's cooking now.

I used a fork to poke holes throughout and seasoned generously with kosher salt and cracked peppercorns. I put it over a drip pan using the snake method. So far I can't get the temp over 250. I guess I didn't use enough rows of coals. I thought I had that figured out through previous uses of the snake, guess not. I'll add some more and see if I can't get it up to about 300 - 325 and keep cooking. I assume an internal temp of about 170?

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 12:44:54 PM »
I did a couple ducks on my 18 kettle using Raichlen's Tea Smoked Duck procedure. Mine had been skinned during processing so fat was not an issue. They cooked for a little over an hour (not particularly big ducks.)  Details at my blog: http://smpoke-on.blogspot.com/2013/04/tea-smoked-duck.html
kettles, smokers...

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 12:48:04 PM »
So far I can't get the temp over 250. I guess I didn't use enough rows of coals. I thought I had that figured out through previous uses of the snake, guess not. I'll add some more and see if I can't get it up to about 300 - 325 and keep cooking. I assume an internal temp of about 170?
I'd light the other end of he snake.

Raichlen recommends 165 to 170.
kettles, smokers...

spinsheet

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 12:50:37 PM »
I'd light the other end of he snake.
Raichlen recommends 165 to 170.
Great idea!

spinsheet

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »
That got the temp up to 300 quick. Still climbing ever so slightly. If it gets to 325 I can always cut the air back some to steady it. Thanks, you saved my duck!   :)

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 01:12:23 PM »
That got the temp up to 300 quick. Still climbing ever so slightly. If it gets to 325 I can always cut the air back some to steady it. Thanks, you saved my duck!   :)
I'm glad that helped. I did a cook recently using two snakes and it peaked about 380 (before I put the meat on) and then settled in the lower 300s.
kettles, smokers...

spinsheet

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 01:28:52 PM »
Temp holding at 325 and the internal temp is about 162 (according to my instant read). I'll pull it off between 165 and 170.

spinsheet

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
The duck was great! Wife and daughter couldn't get enough. One duck only fed two adults and one kid with only about half a serving left over. Next time I'll have to cook two of them. Might be a tight fit on a 22.5" kettle but I'll figure it out. Thanks guys for all the great advise!

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 04:32:51 PM »
Glad it turned out!! No pics?!
   ~Julia Child

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »
The duck was great! Wife and daughter couldn't get enough. One duck only fed two adults and one kid with only about half a serving left over. Next time I'll have to cook two of them. Might be a tight fit on a 22.5" kettle but I'll figure it out. Thanks guys for all the great advise!
You're going to need a bigger kettle. Or another kettle. ;)

Glad to hear it came out well.
kettles, smokers...

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 11:47:29 AM »
Regular season for goose and duck here in northern Illinois...got three total over the weekend.
My goose recipe: (similar to duck recipe)
1. breast out goose (mine were 1.5lb per breast,)
2. soak em' in milk in fridge 24hrs, ( I feel it takes the iron taste completely away)
3. wrap em' in bacon, 275-325 for bout 4hrs or 175 internal, I used whiskey oak barrel chips on the coals...and a water filled drip pan under the meat
4. foil tent em' bout an hour
5. slice em' cross the grain and the wife will think its steak medallions.

For duck breasts, shorten the time and go 150-165 internal at 200-250F

I take pictures with some new type of device called an IPhone.....one day I will have my daughter read the Post Picture thread and set that up for me.

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »
...3. wrap em' in bacon...

Absolutely...what doesn't stupendous good wrapped in bacon!
   ~Julia Child

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »
What an awesome post!  I just bought a duck at the store because they were on sale and then thought, "What the heck do I do with this thing?"

I'm going to try that recipe....   Thanks!
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.