Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A few cooks.  (Read 2583 times)

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
A few cooks.
« on: November 27, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »
I have been a bit slack and not posted all my recent cooks. So I'll throw a couple up.

Tonight, it was simply flappers in a sauce. First I cooked them indirect with a rub, and then added the sauce which had been watered down with butter to kill the heat so the girls could eat it. Served with salad, and it was nice.

Last night it was lamb. I started with the corn that I brined in a sugar and salt solution with various flavours added. A leg of lamb was butterflied and cut into chunks. I made up a simple EVOO and lemon marinade with some herbs and spices and let it sit for a few hours. Then I stuck it on the Rotti Skewer and into the Barbeskew. I kept the marinade as a baste and added it through the cook using Rosemary as my brush. The vegies and corn went into the Weber indirect for a while, and then I finished of the corn direct.

The corn was senfuckingsational!

Last week, inspired by Titch's Backstrap and Bacon kebabs, I tried my own. Served with a yoghurt dressing and salad in a wrap, they were a massive hit with all that ate them. And to spice things up, I made a batch of Jalapeno poppers. These were done with a modified Lebbo sausage and a little bit more punch than everyone wanted. More for me! :P

I had bought a couple of wing hangers and hadn't used them so I tried them on some marinated marylands. These were sauced and returned to the Kettle to finish off. I think I smoked them for too long as the skin was a bit stretchy.

Live and learn.  ???

I was busy last week. I also tried a Pichana. Well my version of it anyway. I think it worked well. Although the Pichana was cooked on the Barbeskew, the vegies were done on the Weber.

I hope that wasn't too much for you guys to take.  ;D :-*
If it breathes, we can cook it!

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Re: A few cooks.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:25:29 AM »
Lots of really good looking food in that post.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 04:33:59 AM »
Great, now I'm starving.  Amazing cooks Jo.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:12:05 AM »
Thanks guys.

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 07:00:04 AM »
Outstanding pics!!  Huge drool factor going on right here.  :o ;D ;) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 08:25:05 AM »
Looks delicious! Keep up the good work. Our buddy below agrees.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 01:09:53 PM »

That all looks grand.....esp the roasties & the bacon skewer things.....musta missed the fixup on those.......what all goes into that prep?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 03:13:11 PM »
You  nailed  all of those cooks JC!  That lamb looks especially tempting.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »
Wow....you sure were busy!  That all looked great.  Hey, I've never seen corn brined before like that.  Can you provide some more details about how you did it?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 07:52:30 PM »

That all looks grand.....esp the roasties & the bacon skewer things.....musta missed the fixup on those.......what all goes into that prep?

Yes please! :)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:53:03 PM »
Wow....you sure were busy!  That all looked great.  Hey, I've never seen corn brined before like that.  Can you provide some more details about how you did it?
And again please!!!;)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

kako5256

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 08:23:06 PM »
Wow! Thanks! If that isn't motivation, I dunno what is. Those all looked superb and I bet tasted even better. Especially the corn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it's a weber, I can't pass on it. That's my sickness! I hope I am never cured.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 01:34:19 AM »

The reference I made to Titch was a member on the Aussie site. It was his cook I was trying to emulate. It's basically lamb backstrap cut into strips and threaded on a skewer with a strip of bacon alongside. I then sprinkled with some oregano and sumac and onto the grill. Indirect to start, and then a quick sear on the IC grate. It was an absolute smashing success.

Sent from another Galaxy using mental telepathy.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 01:41:44 AM »
To brine the corn I took 4 teaspoons of salt and 4 of sugar and dissolved them in a cup of boiled water. I poured that in the container with the corn and added a few bay leaves, about a teaspoon of chillie flakes, paprika, cinnamon,  oregano and then filled with cold water. I put a plate on top to keep the corn submerged and closed the container. Let it sit for a few hours while getting everything else done. Then just before going on the grill, drain the excess water of them.

Simple.

Sent from another Galaxy using mental telepathy.