Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WKC Turkey Noob thread  (Read 14785 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
WKC Turkey Noob thread
« on: October 15, 2013, 03:19:45 PM »
Thanksgiving is right around the corner! Only 6 weeks away so you have some time to do test runs. Post up your Turkey questions here, and if you are a turkey pro, share your insights and recipes! Kettle, WSM, Kamado (LightningBoltdz- lol), oven (we'll try not to shame you), whatever works. There's a first time for everything, right?  8)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: WKC Turkey Noob thread
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »
Thanksgiving was this past weekend, buddy!  :o :o :D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 04:10:24 PM »

Soooooooo show us your turkey?!?!  8)

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:42:54 PM »
The KG Clan has done quite a few on the 22.5" roti. If anyone has any questions we will be happy to help. We're no experts, but we have some experience!
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »
The KG Clan has done quite a few on the 22.5" roti. If anyone has any questions we will be happy to help. We're no experts, but we have some experience!

How big of a turkey, KG? How did you set up the charcoal?

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:37:47 PM »
Just watched this episode of America's Test Kitchen and I'm inspired to try this.  SS Performer for the win!

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/video/index.php?docid=41866

WTB 18 fruit

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 06:33:01 PM »
Just watched this episode of America's Test Kitchen and I'm inspired to try this.  SS Performer for the win!

This is great!  Just more evidence that I need a Thermapen :)
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 06:33:36 PM »
planning to do a smoked full bird for my family this year(first time doing a whole turkey). gonna do a practice run this sunday(got an almost 11lb'er thawing in fridge now). is there a table that shows time per lb based on temps?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:36:11 PM by mrbill »
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 05:27:59 AM »
I'm going to do a test run this weekend.  Doing around a 14lb turkey with stuffing inside.  Need to see how long it will take me to do so on Thanksgiving day I have it done in time.  Will get some pics once its done.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 05:49:36 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread PBE.  I've been wondering which of my Webers I would use to cook the Turkey this year - the Genesis 330 (I can hear the boos), one of the kettles, or the smoker.  I'm looking forward to seeing what other members are planning to do.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 11:27:19 AM »

Winner, winner, turkey dinner.  I'm with you salad - thanks for posting the vid!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »

Soooooooo show us your turkey?!?!  8)

Okay ... no problem! Here is the thread from my Thanksgiving dinner from last weekend's dinner. 15 pound turkey.
I put some no-salt seasoning on the bird and under the skin. There was also dressing in the bird. This bird was not brined.  :-\ :-\
My Mom made the dressing. She learned this years ago ... use cheese cloth to wrap the dressing, then push it into the bird.
When the bird is removed from the cooker and before you allow it to rest, pull the dressing out ... makes it easier than spooning out.
I did not use water in the water pan. I foiled it with HD foil. I used a foil drip pan with about a litre of boiling water.
This provided plenty of liquid for gravy. The cooker ran in the 275-325° range and was done in 4 hours.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/off-topic/thanksgiving-in-canada-(pic-heavy)/

This was only my third whole turkey that I have smoked. I have brined the previous 2 using the brine from TVWB site.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html

It's an excellent brine. I recommend it. I have yet to cook a turkey on a Weber kettle, but, hopefully someday soon.  :D

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 03:23:49 PM »

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 04:13:25 PM »
Doing around a 14lb turkey with stuffing inside. 
I have been cooking stuffing separately for a couple years now. The problem with stuffing is it constrains cooking temperature because you have to get the stuffing through the "danger zone"  40 to 140°F within four hours to be safe. And stuffing with eggs in it is about as dangerous as it gets. I stuff the cavity with sliced onions, oranges, rosemary sprigs, sage, garlic and so on. Add some flavor to the meat instead.

On the WSM or big kettle you can put stuffing in a pan below the turkey and benefit from the drippings that flavor it.
kettles, smokers...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 08:01:11 PM »
Great thread to get going, gums, and that's a great episode of America's Test Kitchen (damned shame that they dropped that lid on the handle so bad, though!-- that lid is really cratered around the handle). 

I've done a few turkeys over the years, and here are some highlights of what I've learned:

1.  I've squeezed a 19lb bird on the kettle, but I think the 12-14ers fit better and taste better. 

2.  Thawing a frozen bird takes at least twice as long as everyone says it will.  Buying fresh is a lot less hassle.

3.  If you're flexible with your timing, a great day to buy a fresh turkey is the day after Thanksgiving.  My wife is a nurse and often has to work on Thanksgiving, and the years where we've delayed dinner until later in the weekend have been times when we got our bird for next to nothing. 

4.  Brining works really well, though that ATK video has me thinking about trying a dry brine this year.  Having a more moist bird is great, but I think the real benefit of brining is the way in which the salt penetrates all the way to the center of the meat. 

5.  Totally my opinion, but I think turkeys work way better on the kettle than the WSM.  It's too hard to get the WSM up to a temp that will crisp up the skin, and you can put some smoke on your bird in the kettle as well. 
One of the charcoal people.