Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for some guidance on beef ribs  (Read 1159 times)

yippee

• Smokey Joe
Looking for some guidance on beef ribs
« on: March 14, 2020, 10:24:09 AM »
Long story short, I have a family member with dietary restrictions that doesn't allow them to eat pork. With that being said, I have been wanting to try cooking some ribs ever sense I first bought my grill a little over a year ago. I was wanting to try some beef ribs, but I have no idea where to start. I've tried searching here or googling it, but have fallen short of finding an actual play by play on how to grill them. I'm not saying it isn't out there, I just haven't come across it.

First things first, what type of ribs should I get? Beef back? Short ribs?

From what I gather, I will want to do a slow and low cook? Is the snake method the ideal method for this?

This is all new territory to me, but I would love to give it a try, so any pointers you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:26:01 AM by yippee »

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
Re: Looking for some guidance on beef ribs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 12:11:18 PM »
Beef back ribs is more like a ribeye and cooks quicker. Down side is not a lot of meat . The short ribs take longer to cook. Cook is very similar to doing a brisket . Beef  short ribs are my favorite thing off the grill. Season with salt and pepper, pecan wood for smoke , and run kettle 250 . Finished when probe tender which is around 200-205  and let rest for 30 minutes. Check out  my buddy’s channel, How To Bbq right on YT. He has a beef rib video along with a lot of other YT channels. Good luck 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 12:32:30 PM »
[emoji3595]Sound advice[emoji3595]
My first short ribs were done after watching Malcolm's video on short ribs. They turned out great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 01:49:55 PM »
+1 on the Malcolm reed short rib video.   The key is cooking to tenderness.  Short ribs are very tough.  You can’t go by temp.  Watch the video. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 02:09:24 PM »
These are spectacular.  Highly recommended.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2019/08/grilled-beef-galbi-korean-style-marinated-short-ribs.html

IMO, I like English cut braised or sv and flaken cut on the grill.

yippee

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 10:40:07 AM »
While I was at the store over the weekend picking up a few other items and found a pretty nice looking rack of beef back ribs. It still didn't have a lot of meat on the bones, but it had more than what I have been seeing. I may go ahead and try the beef back ribs this time around and keep searching for a good looking short rib to try out next time. I underestimated how hard it would be to find good looking beef ribs around here.

To go ahead with the beef ribs:

Some places have said to remove the membrane, others have said to leave it on. What's the best way?

I know they're supposed to be cooked slow and low. What temps are recommended?

From what I'm gathering, you cook them to about a 205 degree internal temp?

Is the snake method the ideal method for maintaining the temps long enough for the cook?

It sounds like they need to be cooked about 4 hours?

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 05:07:35 PM »
Remove the membrane...It's like rubber. Much more so than pork ribs.

Low and slow...No more than 300...or slower...

Yes to the 205...Or till the probe slips right in...

I don't use the snake but most do. Any indirect setup that makes your grill happy...

I've never had any beef ribs done in 4 hours...

Patience is the key when it comes to beef ribs. That's just the way it is...Takes as long as it takes...

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 06:12:05 AM »
For another one of your upcoming cooks, consider a rib roast (prime rib). If you have a local butcher, most will be happy to break it down into a 2 or 3 bone size for you (4-7lbs). There are lots of ways to cook a prime rib on the kettle, and I won't bother to list them here, but this is just an idea for a future cook that will be longer than a regular steak but definitely shorter than a beef rib cook! Good luck and have fun!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

barknecessities

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 02:34:53 AM »
How would you arrange your charcoal and wood chunks for a long smoke like beef ribs? Snake?

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 05:20:01 AM »

How would you arrange your charcoal and wood chunks for a long smoke like beef ribs? Snake?

Hello and welcome, what kind of kettle and fuel will you be using?  Snake method often gets the nod for kettles using briquettes with one or two wood chunks at the beginning. 

WVKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 11:59:05 PM »
Chuck short Ribs are a good choice.  Slow smoke them then wrap them till 205 or so.  They should melt in you mouth.  My father will not eat pork rib either..

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 04:11:53 PM »
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest