Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Field Report -- Beer Can Chicken: Inaugural Cook  (Read 4105 times)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Re: Field Report -- Beer Can Chicken: Inaugural Cook
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 08:20:34 AM »
I'm very familiar with those bags of wood chunks from Lowes/Home Depot/Ace and such.  It's what I've been using to smoke with since day one.  Though 2 weekends ago, the GF and I went to an Apple Orchard to do some apple picking.  This orchard had a bunch of branches and wood they had cut up into smaller chunks and selling it as smoke wood for 1 dollar a lb.  I ended up buying 6 lbs and used it this past weekend while making some ribs and WOW.   Huge huge huge difference.  The stuff from the apple orchard just worked, way better.  It was a more constant, and consistent smoke.  Which seemed to have a slightly different smell to it, compared to the hardware store apple chunks.  It definitely imparted a slightly different flavor onto the meat.  We plan on going back at the end of the month when some different varieties will be ready to be picked and I plan on buying like 10lbs of the wood.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 11:01:02 AM »
I'm very familiar with those bags of wood chunks from Lowes/Home Depot/Ace and such.  It's what I've been using to smoke with since day one.  Though 2 weekends ago, the GF and I went to an Apple Orchard to do some apple picking.  This orchard had a bunch of branches and wood they had cut up into smaller chunks and selling it as smoke wood for 1 dollar a lb.  I ended up buying 6 lbs and used it this past weekend while making some ribs and WOW.   Huge huge huge difference.  The stuff from the apple orchard just worked, way better.  It was a more constant, and consistent smoke.  Which seemed to have a slightly different smell to it, compared to the hardware store apple chunks.  It definitely imparted a slightly different flavor onto the meat.  We plan on going back at the end of the month when some different varieties will be ready to be picked and I plan on buying like 10lbs of the wood.

That's good stuff. Just beware that some, maybe most orchards will spray their trees.
This may, or may not affect the end result. I'm not sure, as I have wood chunks from non-sprayed trees.

You mention, "constant, and consistent smoke." If that's what you're aiming for, then great!
However, a clean burning wood chunk should produce a faint blue smoke, or no smoke at all.
Most of the time, I get a few minutes of white smoke at the beginning, then it fades to wispy blue.

Everyones' method may vary, as well as tastes and preferences. JM2¢.  :D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 12:23:02 PM »

That's good stuff. Just beware that some, maybe most orchards will spray their trees.
This may, or may not affect the end result. I'm not sure, as I have wood chunks from non-sprayed trees.

You mention, "constant, and consistent smoke." If that's what you're aiming for, then great!
However, a clean burning wood chunk should produce a faint blue smoke, or no smoke at all.
Most of the time, I get a few minutes of white smoke at the beginning, then it fades to wispy blue.

Everyones' method may vary, as well as tastes and preferences. JM2¢.  :D ;)

Thin wispy blue smoke is what I meant by constant and consistent.    It's consistently the good smoke I want, as opposed to the wood chunks from the hardware stores that some times give me the thick white smoke, or burn too hot.