Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork Picnic Shoulder - How Long Can I Refrigerate Before Cooking?  (Read 2829 times)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Alright everybody,
I bought my shoulder yesterday (  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=6262.0 ). Today I trimmed, seasoned and rubbed it, then placed it in the refrigerator under a paper towel tent to sit overnight. I planned to put it on the kettle tomorrow morning, but now I have been called in to work. It now looks like I may not be able to cook this thing for five days! :- The use by/freeze by date on the package is nine days out.
So for tonight's questions,
Refrigerate or freeze? ( If I freeze it I still need it fully thawed in 5 days, so freezer for 24hrs then back in the fridge? )
In Foil or plastic wrap?
Thank you for your suggestions!:)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:22:01 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Pork Picnic Shoulder - How Long Can I Refrigerate Before Cooking?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 08:39:12 PM »
I'm know expert, but your within the limits of age being in a cooler at the store. It might discolor, but it will be aged. I would at least make sure it is in a Ziploc type bag. Not sure I would freeze. It might have already been frozen.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 10:41:16 PM »

"How Long Can I Refrigerate Before Cooking?"

Well...........a long time......but personally, I would wash the rub off, pat dry well with paper towels, wrap tightly in saran / plastic wrap, perhaps also zip-lock at the coldest part of the fridge....usually against the back wall, highest shelf will be the spot.......

Foil might leave a taste if wrapped for that long, the chill will be good enough to keep it good if wrapped tight, getting the rub off will keep any salts from screwing with the moisture & beginning to 'cure' the piece.....which would happen if left on that long.......rub is cheap, unless you really like the taste of ham, 'cause it will taste 'hammy' from sitting that long with rub.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:10:08 AM »
Yeah, what buckie said...make sure you get the rub and salt off. I had ribs that sat in the fridge for 2 days due to some issues at home and it dried them out quite a bit when I finally could cook them. Never again, they tuned to terrible.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.