Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: project: mini red WSM  (Read 2821 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
project: mini red WSM
« on: August 19, 2012, 07:20:19 AM »
Earlier this year, It was suggested to me that I make a mini red wsm out of my red budweiser smokey joe. With fall approaching, I'm really tempted to get all the parts needed to make a mini WSM. My question is, if I do this, should I coat the pot with several coats of the high heat black engine paint first, before putting on high heat engine red? Or use regular red paint over the high heat black? I saw one on youtube where the guy (a gator fan) painted his pot orange. The other question I have is since mine is a "silver" what do I need to do since it is a silver model that I wouldnt have to do if it were a gold? I know a lot of ppl have recommended the gold, but I only have silvers. So I thought since I want to try my hand at smoking, I'd try a red mini to match my red kettles. Any input or suggestions you guys have would be appreciated.

Craig

Duke

• The Duke
Re: project: mini red WSM
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:28:00 AM »
Sounds fun,

I would paint the middle with the high heat primer first and then do the red. I think Brian could probably add more to this though. His came out really nice.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 11:12:32 AM »
I would do a high heat primer, then maybe you might have to do high heat white, then the red.  DO NOT DO BLACK FIRST!   I would even do the red straight over the silver.  Make sure you clean the bare metal good with lacquer thinner or something. 

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »
For the silver you need a can with holes punched in the side near the bottom, so when you invert it the holes are near the top, to avoid choking your fire when ash builds up.  I have the gold so i don't know the size of can you need, some i've seen use a small stainless steel dog dish others have used chunked chicken cans i think not sure tho.

Would love to see pictures of it when you are done please  :)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......