Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked Brisket on the 22” WSM  (Read 12184 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Smoked Brisket on the 22” WSM
« on: January 29, 2024, 07:29:46 AM »
Broke out the 22” WSM yesterday for a long awaited brisket cook.  This time I used the Hunsaker Vortex charcoal basket and deflector paired with my new Smokeware 18” drip pan which worked beautifully.  Temp monitoring and control was done by my Thermoworks Signals / Billows combo and I used my new Meater2+ to monitor the point which was much more thick than the flat.  It was a windy day, so I set up a makeshift wind break using the Summit Charcoal Grill, bar height chairs, a beach towel and cushions from the deck furniture.  The WSM held temps pretty well, had to add/stir the coals a couple of times.  I ended up using the better part of a 20lb bag of Jealous Devil XL lump along with 4 nice sized chunks of pecan buried in the coal.
The brisket was just over 13 lbs before trimming, about 11 after and I used the trimmed fat to make my own tallow the night before.  I rendered it in a pot on the stove for about 4 hours and it made a surprising amount, plenty for injection and adding in the butcher paper wrap.  Seasoning used was Lane’s Brisket Rub which works really well.  One thing I did was use Zang’s stir fry garlic oil as a binder before letting it sit in the fridge overnight.  I don’t recommend doing this as my bark was different and falling off a bit during slicing.  I think a little water would have been better, although I did achieve a nice smoke ring as well as excellent taste.

On to the pictures!  I’m a details guy so I’ll post all of them, including pics of the pup.  Last one is funny, he’s obviously had samples and wanted more.  All we’ve had of this one is samples, plans on making brisket tacos tonight, burnt ends this weekend (will freeze cubes tonight) and who knows what else through the week.

Cheers!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Smoked Brisket on the 22” WSM
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 07:32:06 AM »
More pics....

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 08:17:12 AM »
Looks pretty darn good. Great looking smoke ring and plenty juicy. I can see why the dog was wanting another sample.
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow

OkieGirl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 08:33:46 AM »
That looks excellent! Beautiful smoke ring.
Beaux is no dummy, he knows where the good stuff is.

Love the windbreak.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 09:34:58 AM »
looks grate !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 01:30:01 PM »
Thanks all!  Yes, Beaux is never far away when grilled goodies are being sliced and served.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 06:28:24 AM »
Beautiful brisket, Greg.  Do
you think you ran through more charcoal because of the wind ?   The one thing I miss my WSM for is the bark and more smoke flavor compared to the summit.  That’s all subjective, but that’s my story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 07:04:32 AM »
Beautiful brisket, Greg.  Do
you think you ran through more charcoal because of the wind ?   The one thing I miss my WSM for is the bark and more smoke flavor compared to the summit.  That’s all subjective, but that’s my story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Michael, it always excites me to get out the WSM for a long cook.  I've thought of selling it so many times but I'm always glad it's there when I go to fire it up.  I'm thinking the wind played a factor in fuel consumption as well as outside temps.  I started early with temps in the 30s and it never got out of the 50s throughout the day.  I've read on the FB groups that some use a welding blanket on them to help.  Since I don't use it that much I doubt I'll invest in that - just feed it what it wants.

We had an amazing dinner last night....chopped up 2 cups of the flat, into a small pot with 1/4 cup beef broth and 1/3 cup bbq sauce warmed.  Skillet sized flour tortillas with the warm brisket, red onions and grated pepper jack cheese to make fold over quesadillas in the skillet sprayed with pam.  Cut them into triangles and added a dab of sour cream to the top.  I could eat these every day!

Cheers Bud

cdp8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2024, 11:15:11 AM »
That is a fine looking brisket, Bama!

I understand your attachment to your WSM. I had a few WSMs over the past 20+ years. My last one was one of the first 22s with the square door opening. I loved that smoker and the food it turned out. I sold it last summer after getting a Camp Chef Woodwind Pro pellet smoker. The WWPro turns out comparable food and it's a lot easier on my back. I would have kept the WSM, but after an oh-so-logical cross-examination by my wife, combined with our dearth of storage space, I agreed it had to go. I sold it  on OfferUp (for more than I paid for it 2008). I thought I would miss the WSM, but after my first pork butt on the WWPro, I never gave it a second thought.

My guess is the outside temps account for your fuel consumption. The lavalock door and gaskets plus the ATC take care of any impact the wind might have.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 05:13:20 AM »
That is a fine looking brisket, Bama!

I understand your attachment to your WSM. I had a few WSMs over the past 20+ years. My last one was one of the first 22s with the square door opening. I loved that smoker and the food it turned out. I sold it last summer after getting a Camp Chef Woodwind Pro pellet smoker. The WWPro turns out comparable food and it's a lot easier on my back. I would have kept the WSM, but after an oh-so-logical cross-examination by my wife, combined with our dearth of storage space, I agreed it had to go. I sold it  on OfferUp (for more than I paid for it 2008). I thought I would miss the WSM, but after my first pork butt on the WWPro, I never gave it a second thought.

My guess is the outside temps account for your fuel consumption. The lavalock door and gaskets plus the ATC take care of any impact the wind might have.
Thank you sir!  I agree, the WSM is probably the most taxing on my back - especially when removing the center cylinder body.  But there's no pain there (yet) when doing it so I'm ok with it.  Pellet grills have also interested me.  Year before last I bought a Spider Grills pellet kettle unit that was a miserable fail.  Thinking I may have just had a defective unit I tried another one last year with similar/same results.  Both were refunded and the company instructed me to throw them in the garbage which I gladly did.  I now have an Asmoke portable unit that I've done a few things with such as replace the stock controller with a true PID unit.  It works well, but I've not cooked much other than some small ribs and personal pizzas.  I'm going to hold on to the WSM for a few more years since I love cooking on it - especially hanging ribs and doing larger cooks with multiple levels and basement beans.

Appreciate your input, Cheers!

cdp8

• WKC Brave
Smoked Brisket on the 22” WSM
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 08:50:04 AM »
I remember reading about your Spider adventures. I think the Spider is like the 737 Max jets, trying to put the latest technology into an aging design. Better off starting with a clean sheet and getting a purpose designed pellet grill (or an Airbus).

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2024, 08:01:58 AM »
I love Brisket, yours looks absolute delicious 🤤

Babekyu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2024, 03:39:33 AM »
Excellent write up!  I am salivating, right along with Beaux.  I had a 22" WSM (with some mods), and loved smoking briskets, butts and ribs etc, but ended up selling it, also because of my back.  Very difficult to prepare for a cook, and clean up after.  I felt like a kettle would be a suitable replacement, but it just isn't.  I am looking at getting back into a legitimate smoker, but having fun with my kettles for now.
Weber Spirit/Weber Kettle 22" Black (AA-2011)/Weber Performer Black/Weber SS Performer Red Mist (EE-1999)/Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Black - 3"casters/unknown bbq hinge/lavalock vent handles (4) - Sold

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2024, 06:23:28 AM »
Excellent write up!  I am salivating, right along with Beaux.  I had a 22" WSM (with some mods), and loved smoking briskets, butts and ribs etc, but ended up selling it, also because of my back.  Very difficult to prepare for a cook, and clean up after.  I felt like a kettle would be a suitable replacement, but it just isn't.  I am looking at getting back into a legitimate smoker, but having fun with my kettles for now.
Thanks so much!  Had to read back through the thread - it's been a few months since this cook.  It was a fun one, but I look forward to doing another one on a warm calm day very soon.  Kettles are a lot of fun and very versatile.  I'd recommend a 26" for you, but if you have back issues that lid can be like lifting a boat anchor.  I whole heartedly recommend the Summit for anyone who has back issues.  I must say when I choose what I'm going to cook on for the evening, the ease of raising / lowering the lid along with having the big SS table makes the Summit an easy, convenient choice.  Something about it - not sure what - but everything on the Summit seems to taste better than just about any other grill I cook on.

Cheers and thanks for bringing up this thread!