Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tallow wrapped brisket  (Read 285 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Tallow wrapped brisket
« on: May 31, 2021, 05:14:42 PM »
If you enjoy brisket YouTube videos, you’ll know the latest craze is tallow wrapping.   It’s a Mad Scientist bbq hack that’s supposed to mimic Aaron Franklins brisket.  Harry Soo has done many experiments with tallow as well (he’s a Weber guy btw).

Anyhow, I decided to try it out.  It added some extra moisture and flavor but not a lot.  Not worth the effort.  Sorta messy , especially when wrapping at 7 am.  I do a lot of briskets so it was fun to try something new.  Made my slices too thick.   The point was perfect. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 06:09:43 PM by michaelmilitello »

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Tallow wrapped brisket
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 05:18:11 PM »
Looks good! Nice smoke ring there. I’d hit that.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 05:18:47 PM »
Looks fantastic to me. 

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 06:47:09 PM »
I heard this was a fad, not worth the effort.
Your brisket looks very good.
What is your wrap method...foil, or paper?
I did one two days ago, wrapped in butcher paper when the temp hit 165. Then put back on the kettle until temp was 203, and then placed in a cooler for 4 hours. It turned out very good.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 07:06:06 PM »
I heard this was a fad, not worth the effort.
Your brisket looks very good.
What is your wrap method...foil, or paper?
I did one two days ago, wrapped in butcher paper when the temp hit 165. Then put back on the kettle until temp was 203, and then placed in a cooler for 4 hours. It turned out very good.
This one was butcher paper.  I’ve used both.  I prefer paper especially on Costco prime.  The bark is way better with paper. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 03:01:55 AM »

This one was butcher paper.  I’ve used both.  I prefer paper especially on Costco prime.  The bark is way better with paper. 

Much study has gone into this over the last week. For the absolute best bark, they say go naked. For the most moist and tender brisket, use foil.

One suggestion with foil is to remove the foil when the meat is within 20 degrees of the final temp, as this will make the bark dry out and get more crunchy with added flavor. I might try this next time.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 05:49:36 AM »
Very inspirational Michael.... I'm taking notes on any and all brisket cooks I see and hoping to do one soon.  Nice pics and the results look fantastic.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 05:52:31 AM »
Very inspirational Michael.... I'm taking notes on any and all brisket cooks I see and hoping to do one soon.  Nice pics and the results look fantastic.

According to the BBQ Scientist, the most often overlooked part is the rest. He suggested resting the brisket in a cooler for between 4 and 8 hours.

I put ours in the cooler for 6 hours, and it came out very tender / juicy. This was my first effort.

You can do it!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 05:58:47 AM »

According to the BBQ Scientist, the most often overlooked part is the rest. He suggested resting the brisket in a cooler for between 4 and 8 hours.

I put ours in the cooler for 6 hours, and it came out very tender / juicy. This was my first effort.

You can do it!

Thanks, yes I've heard the rest is very necessary - I always rest my pork butts for a few hours which makes a huge difference.  Now to find a brisket on sale lol.......

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 06:10:49 AM »

You can do it!

Thanks, yes I've heard the rest is very necessary - I always rest my pork butts for a few hours which makes a huge difference.  Now to find a brisket on sale lol.......
make the drive to Doraville, there are 3 maybe 4 briskets in the freeze, and your choice of grills and colors too LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 06:39:09 AM »

You can do it!

make the drive to Doraville, there are 3 maybe 4 briskets in the freeze, and your choice of grills and colors too LOL

Wow, SO generous!  But to gas my Yukon for that would be the price of a brisket..... I just keep seeing these FB posts of people finding half priced briskets.  I'll probably bite the bullet at Costco soon.  My Publix rarely has these on sale and usually only has the flats.  I'd like to do the whole brisket when it's time.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 06:52:47 AM »
We paid $56 for a USDA Prime, 12.5 pound brisket at Costco. About $4.50/lb.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 07:36:35 AM »
Looks great!  I’ve had Michael’s briskets first hand and they are incredible.   I’ve been cooking them using his methods and have had excellent results. I don’t bother with YouTube star’s recipes anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 09:04:37 AM »
Looks great!  I’ve had Michael’s briskets first hand and they are incredible.   I’ve been cooking them using his methods and have had excellent results. I don’t bother with YouTube star’s recipes anymore.

Watched many YouTube videos, all by well respected Pit Masters. Each person has a slightly different method. America's Test Kitchen has a great video, step-by-step. ATK smoked over 500 pounds of brisket before they came up with a winner. And they do a foil wrap.

As this was my first brisket, I was wanting to gain all of the good info available. And this was my FIRST SMOKE on the Kettle!