Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cook for friends and and made some new friends.  (Read 11146 times)

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
First cook for friends and and made some new friends.
« on: September 10, 2020, 08:02:20 PM »
I've had my WSM for a little over a year and I have only cooked for my family. Recently I brought my smoker to my buddies firehouse and cooked for his coworkers and some police officers they are all big BBQ fans. I also used their gas smoker with the help of a pellet tube for extra smoke. I trimmed spare ribs into slabs and tips with a few different rubs and we snacked on various trimmings along the way. They had some store bought sauce on the table and no one even touched the bottle, a very proud moment for me. Even more so when one of the guys wanted me to cook for a town Firefighter/Police appreciation event they are planning when covid calms down. We had a fantastic day of food and friendship, and the firehouse never smelled better. I think these were the prettiest trimmed ribs I've ever done.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:09:38 AM by DaveG74 »
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First cook for friends and and made some new friends.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 02:52:18 AM »
Sounds like a great time and even better when people are enjoying what you have cooked. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 05:28:36 AM »
there is nothing like pleasing people with the food you cook
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 05:46:45 AM »
Nice trim work on the spares, we’ll done. I trim spares and like to snack on the trimmings too. Maybe that’s why I rarely eat my bbq at dinner time.

It’s a great feeling when people appreciate your hard work and good bbq!

Here is a trick I learned.
When placing ribs on the cooking grate have rib bones perpendicular to wire grates.
Straighten slab lengthwise so it’s parallel to wires and push from both ends to tighten up the slab of ribs. You’ll have a nice straight racks of ribs.

Nice cook!
Cheers
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 05:56:26 AM by AZ2FL »

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 06:02:37 AM »
I trim spares and like to snack on the trimmings too. Maybe that’s why I rarely eat my bbq at dinner time.

Here is a trick I learned.
When placing ribs on the cooking grate have rib bones perpendicular to wire grates.
Straighten slab lengthwise so it’s parallel to wires and push from both ends to tighten up the slab of ribs.

We were pretty full by dinner when the other firehouse showed up and really full after dinner.

I'll try that thanks for the tip.
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 06:07:39 AM »
VERY cool story and nice that you can share your skills and Q with people that appreciate it.  And an awesome way to show them your appreciation for what they do.

Jrzy.Hillbilly

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 01:40:18 PM »
Nice cooks and awesome story!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 07:13:58 PM »
Sweet ribs! Look good enuff to eat

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app