Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 26 Inch Kettle GBS?  (Read 5107 times)

bigpaulUK66

• Smokey Joe
26 Inch Kettle GBS?
« on: August 09, 2020, 10:34:17 AM »
Good evening, i am an new owner of a 26 inch premium kettle and looking to utilise the
accessories from the Weber GBS system. I have a number of items so far but need to solve the grate
issue as it seems the GBS grate not available in 26 inch. Any help much appreciated.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: 26 Inch Kettle GBS?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 06:29:56 PM »
Good evening, i am an new owner of a 26 inch premium kettle and looking to utilise the
accessories from the Weber GBS system. I have a number of items so far but need to solve the grate
issue as it seems the GBS grate not available in 26 inch. Any help much appreciated.
The GBS only is available for the 22 and the Summit Charcoal.  It depends on the accessories that you have but I use my cast iron skillet by just placing it on the grate.  No need for a hole.  Same goes for the beer can chicken basket, which I never use for chicken but as a veggie basket it's fantastic.  The cast iron sear grate can also go right on top of the grate if you are looking for fat sear marks.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 06:37:15 PM by Foster Dahlet »
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

bigpaulUK66

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 11:01:12 PM »
Hi, thanks. i was hoping there may have been a recognised mod to fit the 2 inch GBS grate in to the 26 inch
grate but as you say most GBS items can sit straight on the grate. Thanks again!

Scogin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 06:26:06 PM »
Wonder if it's just 304 for the stock grate, I think you could modify it fairly easily with some fabrication and welding.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 06:37:46 PM »
Just an FYI, Europe gets an 18.5” GBS grate too.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 08:39:21 AM »
Yeah, what others have said, the accessories sit fine on a regular grate, with the nice benefit of positioning them anywhere you like on the grilling surface.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 05:23:54 PM »
Not to stir the pot, but I saw this on Weber's site a few days ago.  This is the page showing the Weber Gourmet Grate Wok.  Clerical error, or did someone prematurely spill the beans??

Here's the link:  https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/cooking/gourmet-bbq-system/7425.html?cgid=502#start=1
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 09:15:04 PM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 06:08:38 PM »
Well it's possible they may release a 26 inch gbs grate.  But on the weber site it only shows 22.  Also on the weber site in faq:

CAN I GET THE GBS GRATES FOR MY 18" OR 26" CHARCOAL GRILL?

The Gourmet BBQ System is currently only available for 22” charcoal models and the Summit Charcoal series.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 08:21:17 PM »
Has Weber aggressively protected the design of the grates? Kind of surprised there hasn't been alternatives come out under the same format.  I have GBS grate for the occasional cook but dislike that it isnt SS and the middle grate isn't secured during regular grilling.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 08:40:44 PM »
Has Weber aggressively protected the design of the grates? Kind of surprised there hasn't been alternatives come out under the same format.  I have GBS grate for the occasional cook but dislike that it isnt SS and the middle grate isn't secured during regular grilling.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
IDK.  I never use mine...the plating burned off mine using nothing but charcoal baskets and now it rusts all the time. 

I use a KG grate on the 22 and move/use accessories on top of the grate.  Same for 26er which comes with Weber ss grate.  Never use my char baskets either as I have sns+ and snsxl in the two kettles.  Not ideal for the accessories, but they work. 

If the gbs grate were stainless it would be fantastic to use with the baskets.  But, i won't buy another plated grate ever, even if they put out gbs for 26er.  Tired of fighting rust.   My guess is they have patent on design which prevents others from making a better one.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 05:30:13 PM by Foster Dahlet »

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 09:16:14 PM »
   If weber does come out with a 26" gbs grate it would be a trip watching people scramble for the discontinued and euro accessories. Why has weber not dedicated a cookbook to the gbs accessories, dutch oven and waffle maker included. The waffle maker and ebelskiver could possibly be in the same chapter to share similar recipes.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 05:30:43 AM »
GBS is an over priced gimmick.  The plating burned off mine in 6 months.  It’s not flexible to place inserts in the center of the grate.   They can sit on top of any grate.  The best use I can see is removing the center section for a Vortex and wings. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 05:54:32 AM »
GBS is an over priced gimmick.  The plating burned off mine in 6 months.  It’s not flexible to place inserts in the center of the grate.   They can sit on top of any grate.  The best use I can see is removing the center section for a Vortex and wings. 

That's all mine is used for on a 22" - center section removed and vortex wings.  So far the plating is holding on the outer ring section for me.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 07:48:56 AM »

The 18" grill in my book is a unfulfilled tease. I've got my fair share of them but have no urge to cook on them, I'm 6'1" and they aren't tall enough, the jumbo joe with portable table and outriders are the only 18's I play with. Not all things weber is meant for everybody.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 05:01:17 PM »

That's all mine is used for on a 22" - center section removed and vortex wings.  So far the plating is holding on the outer ring section for me.
Same here, I only use with the vortex to do wings or other chicken  bits.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app