Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22" MT or 26" Premium?  (Read 2617 times)

magic mike

• WKC Brave
Re: 22" MT or 26" Premium?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2020, 01:24:48 PM »
With the Grillvana expanded rack and Slow N Sear (basically a 2-level, dual-zoned setup), probably 20-25 hot dogs or 12-13 good-sized burgers. This excludes the grilling space above the Slow N Sear.

My setup is equivalent to what Adrenaline/ABC BBQ now sells as its “Deluxe Bronze” bundle (https://snsgrills.com/collections/bundles/products/bronze-bundle), using the Drip N Griddle pan to catch drippings and redirect incoming air for a highly efficient burn. But at $169, when you add the price of a new MasterTouch you’re at the cost of a new 26 (and makes it very difficult to justify this combo).

I would never buy this setup full retail, but I’m 3-steps below frugal. I paid 45 bucks for my MasterTouch and 50 for my SNS/griddle combo (used but like new), and I absolutely LOVE it!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:27:30 PM by magic mike »

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2020, 01:34:39 PM »
Buy the 26, then look around on the buy and sells in your area for a cheap/free 22 and use the grate out of it for your second rack. That's what I'm doing.  I also watched a video of a guy with a 26 who made a charcoal basket and insulated heat diffuser and he uses basically his whole grill surface kind of like a kamado. He calls it a Hillbilly kamado. Check it out on youtube

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

magic mike

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2020, 01:43:50 PM »
Buy the 26, then look around on the buy and sells in your area for a cheap/free 22 and use the grate out of it for your second rack. That's what I'm doing.  I also watched a video of a guy with a 26 who made a charcoal basket and insulated heat diffuser and he uses basically his whole grill surface kind of like a kamado. He calls it a Hillbilly kamado. Check it out on youtube

He’s talking about my buddy Greg of ‘Woodshed Smoke and BBQ’. I went out to his place last summer when I was on vacation, and bought a few of his goodies while I was out there. Absolutely GREAT guy, who never meets a stranger.  This may be the video WildOnion was referring to......

https://youtu.be/uuqWpsarYhM

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2020, 01:44:57 PM »

He’s talking about my buddy Greg of ‘Woodshed Smoke and BBQ’. I went out to his place last summer when I was on vacation, and bought a few of his goodies while I was out there. Absolutely GREAT guy, who never meets a stranger.  This may be the video WildOnion was referring to......

https://youtu.be/uuqWpsarYhM
Thats the guy!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2020, 02:00:59 PM »
Just through a good amount of flank steak in my 26 tonight. I couldn’t get by without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2020, 02:01:38 PM »
Still room for a pan of vegetables.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2020, 02:11:23 PM »
Just through a good amount of flank steak in my 26 tonight. I couldn’t get by without it.

How big are those steaks???  And, thank you.

bait

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2020, 03:28:29 PM »
You know, I’ve been considering the same two options. I just ordered the Master Touch (dark blue) today. I was swayed by two things: I own an older 22” and regularly cook meals for 5 on it without issue, and I also already own a rotisserie for the 22”.

Also, it’s over $100 cheaper than the 26 and there so many more accessories for the 22 (as gimmicky as some may be). With that $100, I’ll probably finally pick up a vortex and a BBQ Dragon shelf, and maybe an extra set of forks for my rotisserie.

On the other hand... I still want a 26.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2020, 03:34:26 PM »
You know, I’ve been considering the same two options. I just ordered the Master Touch (dark blue) today. I was swayed by two things: I own an older 22” and regularly cook meals for 5 on it without issue, and I also already own a rotisserie for the 22”.

Also, it’s over $100 cheaper than the 26 and there so many more accessories for the 22 (as gimmicky as some may be). With that $100, I’ll probably finally pick up a vortex and a BBQ Dragon shelf, and maybe an extra set of forks for my rotisserie.

On the other hand... I still want a 26.

That blue is really nice looking.  I'm starting from scratch.   Would be different if I were in your situation.  The one thing that has me pulling to the 22 is that it's so common and I feel like the learning curve will be lower.  I could be wrong, of course.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2020, 05:24:43 PM »
Get the 26. It’s the only Weber I’d actually pay retail for if I had to replace mine. I used to cook on a 22 and a few times needed a second 22 when entertaining. The 26 fixed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2020, 05:28:56 PM »
Thanks everyone.   For cooks where you fill-up a chimney full for the coals on a 22, what do you do on a 26?  Just fill-up the chimney, heat it, put in kettle, and then immediately add more to the charcoal grate?  Thinking about searing strips, for instance. 

SnS would make a ton of sense.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2020, 05:29:15 PM »

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2020, 05:30:22 PM »
Get the 26. It’s the only Weber I’d actually pay retail for if I had to replace mine. I used to cook on a 22 and a few times needed a second 22 when entertaining. The 26 fixed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
+1 on this one

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2020, 05:35:37 PM »
Thanks everyone.   For cooks where you fill-up a chimney full for the coals on a 22, what do you do on a 26?  Just fill-up the chimney, heat it, put in kettle, and then immediately add more to the charcoal grate?  Thinking about searing strips, for instance. 

I use a homemade SnS. Built it for my 22 but it works just fine in the 26'r. Did a test run and got 7hrs out of a fill. I just light about a dozen briquettes in a chimney and put them tight into the corner of the SnS, and then fill to the very top with unlit and put the lid on. I let it climb to about 200f and then I close the vents down a bit. To about 1/4 open on the bottom and maybe 2/3 open on top. Gives me around 210 to 240.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2020, 05:41:40 PM »

I use a homemade SnS. Built it for my 22 but it works just fine in the 26'r. Did a test run and got 7hrs out of a fill. I just light about a dozen briquettes in a chimney and put them tight into the corner of the SnS, and then fill to the very top with unlit and put the lid on. I let it climb to about 200f and then I close the vents down a bit. To about 1/4 open on the bottom and maybe 2/3 open on top. Gives me around 210 to 240.

Thanks.  And what about otherwise for searing, etc, where you would fill a chimney for a 22 but now using the same chimney on the 26?  Noob question, I know.  I'm trying. Thank you.