Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22" MT or 26" Premium?  (Read 2632 times)

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
Re: 22" MT or 26" Premium?
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2020, 06:02:35 PM »
I usually sear after using low heat to bring my steaks up close to done temp(rareish) then I open bottom vent all the way, give the SnS a good stir with metal tongs to move lit coals around and give it 10 min to light the rest. Then sear away till done. Amazingribs.com has lots of good tips for using a kettle. A digital meat thermometer is your best friend for cooking.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2020, 06:10:26 PM »
I usually sear after using low heat to bring my steaks up close to done temp(rareish) then I open bottom vent all the way, give the SnS a good stir with metal tongs to move lit coals around and give it 10 min to light the rest. Then sear away till done. Amazingribs.com has lots of good tips for using a kettle. A digital meat thermometer is your best friend for cooking.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Basically: get a SnS.  Hah.  I'm a Meathead follower.  Have his book.  And the thermometer(s).  This will be my obsession now.

Would appreciate if someone could me the dimensions of the bottom of the legs on the 26.  I have to build a little patio paver for it, that will turn into a walkway..  Just need to wheel to wheel width of the rear wheel and the length of the base (from back wheels to front).  Space is tight!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 06:12:13 PM by DougWilsonsSlapper »

littlepigbarbeque

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2020, 06:19:41 PM »
26" all day man.  Get a slow n sear and you will have all kinds of room.  I just did a pork butt video using my 26".  Super easy to use.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2020, 04:25:05 AM »
For me a slow and sear would be useful once in awhile but would be in my way most of the time.  At least half of my cooks are with coals spread out and cook directly over coals. This way you are cooking and searing at the same time.  Personally I consider it non essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2020, 04:25:59 AM »
For me a slow and sear would be useful once in awhile but would be in my way most of the time.  At least half of my cooks are with coals spread out and cook directly over coals. This way you are cooking and searing at the same time.  Personally I consider it non essential.

Helpful.  I guess just cooking with the coals and getting the temp right is trial and error?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2020, 04:27:39 AM »
I close the vents when finished. Next time I light a 2/3 chimney and add to the remaining coal from last cook and that’s about all you need. So one chimney works just fine.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2020, 04:32:24 AM »
I close the vents when finished. Next time I light a 2/3 chimney and add to the remaining coal from last cook and that’s about all you need. So one chimney works just fine.

Thanks.  I'll be doing a lot of searing so getting it hot was my main concern.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2020, 04:38:29 AM »
For anyone that has the 26", would one of you be able to take the dimensions of the bottom of the legs for me? Just need to wheel to wheel width of the rear wheel and the length of the base (from back wheels to front). 

It will take a few weeks given Covid-19 supply issues for me to get anyways and I want to start prepping my patio paver base.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2020, 04:47:25 AM »
24" wide at the outside of the wheels and from the back of the wheels to tip of the leg approximately 30"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2020, 04:48:35 AM »
24" wide at the outside of the wheels and from the back of the wheels to tip of the leg approximately 30"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

THANK YOU!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
22" MT or 26" Premium?
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2020, 04:48:57 AM »

A pro tip in case it hasn’t been mentioned, crack the lid while cooking to increase temperature when needed. The 26 in particular could use a second lid vent but cracking the lid works just fine. Increased air flow stokes the coals.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2020, 04:50:31 AM »

A pro tip in case it hasn’t been mentioned, crack the lid while cooking to increase temperature when needed. The 26 in particular could use a second lid vent but cracking the lid works just fine.

It has not been mentioned, but it sounds ominous!  What in practice does that mean?  I take things literally (good for my jobs, not socially).

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2020, 07:47:45 AM »
Cracking the lid means you put the lid on the bowl slightly offset so it doesn't sit perfectly. This leaves a bit of a gap for more air to get in.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2020, 08:19:31 AM »
Cracking the lid means you put the lid on the bowl slightly offset so it doesn't sit perfectly. This leaves a bit of a gap for more air to get in.

Thanks everyone.  This group is so helpful!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2020, 09:12:33 AM »
Here's a photo just in case my description wasn't quite clear.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app