Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help with 26” grills  (Read 2166 times)

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
Help with 26” grills
« on: January 25, 2020, 08:11:38 AM »
I’ve been looking for a vintage 26” grill with no luck. Had a chance to get one from a member but things didn’t work out on my end. I think I may just buy a new one but wanted to know if they cook better or worse than a flat top? I’ve heard they aren’t made as well (thinner porcelain, thinner metal, etc). True? Should I hold off for a vintage grill (been looking for a while) or just buy a new one? Any advice? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Help with 26” grills
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 09:38:16 AM »
I have a modern (DE: 2009) 26" in my collection, plus an old flattop 26" that I am cleaning up for a friend. I can give you a comparison of those two, but I don't have any experience with the latest production. I assume that they are similar to my ten year old kettle with the addition of a "taco" lid handle.

My DE 26.

Advantages:
Lid bale.
One Touch sweeps.
Ash bucket.
Stainless steel, flip-up cooking grate.
Easily available replacement grates.
Warranty.

Disadvantages:
My original bowl had a weak leg socket that broke loose. Weber warrantied the bowl and I have had no trouble since.

Vintage 26er.

Advantages:
Cool factor.
Spin lines.
Weighs a ton.
Cool factor again.

Disadvantages:
No lid bale.
No Ash bucket.
No flip ups on grate.
The grates are not the same size as the modern ones, and I have heard that they are hard to find.
No warranty.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:51:05 AM »
Jcnaz, thanks for your help! Have you cooked on both? Any difference? I’d be using it to smoke briskets that are normally a bit too big on the 22” grills

Looking for MBH 26

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 10:05:07 AM »
Might want to mention where you are.  Somebody local might have a vintage one, or even a used newer one, that they are thinking of selling.  My understanding is that shipping gets outrageous.

Price can be another advantage of a vintage one.  I picked up a black MBH locally for significantly less than a new one, but not still not super cheap.  I also picked up a brown MBH for about the same price, but had a long round trip to Springfield, IL to get it, so you pay for everything one way or another (bigger $ or gas$ +time).

A lot of people believe the daisy wheel vents on the bottom give better control than the ash sweeps & some swear by these for smoking. 

With respect to the grates, they are a different size, although I seem to recall someone was making SS versions for them. 

My understanding is the old grate straps were basically mounted lower in the bowl than the modern ones, accounting for the change in diameter of the grates.  I seem to recall another member mentioning making a small ring out of expanded metal to put over the tabs and resting to hold a normal 26 grate at a height sufficient for it to fit. 

If you have local guys in your area that have one, maybe you can convince them to let you try theirs out.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:08:14 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 10:10:24 AM »
I really don't think you will be disappointed if you buy a more recently made 26er.  The lid bale and the ash bucket are awesome if this is going to be your daily cooker.  For smoking the vent adjustment will be a little better with the one touch too.

The legs and leg sockets are more wobbly than most would like and it is a weak point.  You could always drop one into a modified performer cart or if you have a welder friend you could make a mini ranch (absolutely awesome btw and how they should be made in my opinion).

If you buy a taco handle 26er I would highly recommend upgrading the washers to have a wider foot print on the lid handle. The screw and washers that are provided on a 22 is lacking, but it is an embaressment on the heavier 26. 

Worst cast scenario would be that you buy a 26er and also grab a vintage later.  Even the newer 26ers are still worth probably $150 (especially a non taco) if you go to resell later.  The vintage kettles are awesome to have and cook on, but most people's daily cookers are going to be performers, master touches, newer 26ers, and a few lucky grillers with Summits.  They just have some modern upgrades that make them easier for every day use and if you need parts they aren't an odd size or discontinued parts. 

Buy both if it at all possible and don't sweat it. :)

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
Help with 26” grills
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 10:26:09 AM »
Thanks guys. I guess I’ll be buying a brand new one. I have an old SSP cart I could mount it onto.
I’m in NW Houston btw.

Looking for MBH 26

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 11:11:23 AM »
Buy it. You won’t regret it.  Only grill I would pay full retail for if something happened to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 11:20:31 AM »
I have both and have cooked on both.

New 26’er...I just find it to be a more pleasurable cooking experience all around. The old flat top is Sexy though.

You don’t really need to mount it to a cart (I find the newer 26 a little more stable than the Vintage one)...especially the really recent ones with spring pin sockets. That said, I’d suggest looking into making it into a mini ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 01:51:12 PM »
If you are interested in a mini ranch but do not have a welder handy it looks like the lower and top frames cost about $83 each plus shipping.  It would require some cutting and drilling though if I remember right.

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 02:00:37 PM »
I was in the same boat. Wanted and needed a larger kettle. I watched the boards for over a year for a used one in my area to no avail.

I ended up buying a new taco with no regrets. It is my daily driver and it’s a great cooker

I’ve done several full packers with ease.

I was fortunate to find an older flat top recently but haven’t cooked on it yet.  I need to lay down $120 for the grate.

Go for a new one, I don’t think you’ll regret it.

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 02:12:55 PM »
I was in the same boat. Wanted and needed a larger kettle. I watched the boards for over a year for a used one in my area to no avail.

I ended up buying a new taco with no regrets. It is my daily driver and it’s a great cooker

I’ve done several full packers with ease.

I was fortunate to find an older flat top recently but haven’t cooked on it yet.  I need to lay down $120 for the grate.

Go for a new one, I don’t think you’ll regret it.

Are you buying the killa grilla grate?   Definitely worth it.  I have one for my aristocrat.  I love it.  Weighs 10 pounds.  The plated sleel Weber replacement for vintage 26s is $80 plus shipping.

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 02:55:22 PM »
Yes, that is my plan.  The flat top I picked up needs 3 handles, KG grate and a new charcoal grate. Have to wait a few more weeks till bonus season but I want to get’er back in tip top shape.

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 03:24:09 PM »

If you are interested in a mini ranch but do not have a welder handy it looks like the lower and top frames cost about $83 each plus shipping.  It would require some cutting and drilling though if I remember right.

Depends on where you get the pieces from. Last I heard weber wouldn’t sell Ranch frame parts unless you could show that you had a RK.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 05:29:31 PM »
I believe you are correct when dealing with weber, but they are showing them as available here:

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/weber-60020-ranch-kettle-grill-parts-c-193079_193086_193148.html

You would probably want to buy the metal end caps as well while you were at it.  It is pretty pricey, but if you can't fabricate one yourself this is the next best option as it will just require cutting the frame a bit and reattaching it.  I think most of the other parts could be canabilized from other kettles.  I guess if you don't have a ranch get the parts while you can.  I have a ranch but no 26er so I will wait.

Depends on where you get the pieces from. Last I heard weber wouldn’t sell Ranch frame parts unless you could show that you had a RK.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:26:51 PM by ReanimatedRobot »

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 01:43:41 PM »
Final question to close the loop on this...should I buy direct from Weber or go to amazon? A couple negative reviews on Amazon about warranty (shipping back to seller instead of dealing directly with Weber) has prompted the question. It’s a big bulky box that I’m sure won’t be handled gingerly by the UPS of FedEx guy.

Looking for MBH 26