Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Will gas grills become a relic in 10 years? *(Split Topic by Cellar2ful)  (Read 17290 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
My first reaction with this was a huge eye roll, but as I've read more and more about this, Weber would be foolish to not participate in the pellet grill space. As a respected manufacturer and innovator, Weber should have some market share here. While I'm not interested in purchasing one these outdoor ovens, I'm interested in seeing how they differentiate themselves from the competition.

Completely agree, propane grills are going to be a relic in 10 years, charcoal will still have it's purists but if you were a simple backyard griller and needed to purchase a new grill, why wouldn't you go pellet grill?  It is the future.  As far as establishing themselves, I am also curious as the market id very well established, they should have done this 5 years ago, IMO.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:00:38 AM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
Re: Will gas grills become a relic in 10 years?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 09:40:23 AM »
Completely agree, propane grills are going to be a relic in 10 years.

I will strongly argue to the contrary. 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 09:56:55 AM »
Completely agree, propane grills are going to be a relic in 10 years.

I will strongly argue to the contrary.

+1
I don’t see gas grills going away anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:58:49 AM by HoosierKettle »

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 10:25:16 AM »
"Gas grills sales passed charcoal grills in 1994 and are now almost 60% of all grills sold are gas." (Quote from Amazing Ribs article)

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/how-to-buy-a-grill/charcoal-vs-gas

If you have the time, read the article in the above link.  It is long and covers a lot of interesting points comparing charcoal vs gas grills.  The one point it does not touch on is "no burn days" due to high fire dangers or air quality.  Here in California, use of charcoal is impacted quite frequently on high fire days.  Although not currently included on the list of banded use items on "spare the air days", charcoal grills will be added to the list on these days in the next couple of years. Pellet grills will also be included in these bans due to the particulate released burning the pellets. 

I do own a Weber Spirit Gas grill. It is mainly used by my wife for cooking vegetables but comes in handy when the use of charcoal grills is discouraged or banned. Here in California, I don't see the gas grills becoming a "relic" as it (along with electric grills) will be the only source of outdoor cooking as we have more and more "Red Flag - High Fire Danger" days and "Spare The Air Days".

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:03:34 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 12:00:21 PM »
I say they are around for quite some time, to easy for the average back yard griller to use. Fairly safe to use on most deck material. Different models for almost all budgets. They are a good looking addition to the outside space so both halves of the couple can be pleased.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 01:31:13 PM »
I think the pricing on the pellet grills will have to come down significantly in order for them to take a large chunk of the gas grill market to the point they are almost obsolete or not in use.  I just took a glimpse at Traeger's website and their entry level grill is still $429 not including shipping or tax.  At that size you are likely only going to be hosting parties of 8 to 10 people.  Meanwhile you can find gas grills of all shapes, sizes, and price points.  Plus they are so prevalent on the used market that if you need to go big on a budget you can.  Or they can be found frequently on year end discounts.

I am not going to say I will never buy pellet grill, but the perfect opportunity would have to present itself if it is in the foreseeable future.  About the only gas grill I will ever pick up would be a stove top or a griddle. 

I look forward to seeing Weber's offering so it doesn't seem like a complete betrayal of my charcoal grilling ways if I do make a dip into the pellet grill pool. [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:33:58 PM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 01:49:12 PM »
I’ll also chime in that gas grills are here to stay. I’m guessing that most of the Weber grill sales are truly going to enthusiasts. I for one can’t personally fathom spending the coin on a new Genesis II or whatever. I think that is why you see a lot of Char-Broil and other sub-par brands (IMO) in a lot of backyards and second hand.

Also consider those in condos or HOAs that won’t allow open fire or charcoal. Some can only use a small Spirit or even an electric grill in their outdoor space.

I don’t see myself getting a gasser or pellet grill ever. When I was on vacation in Florida I could only use the onsite Weber Genesis hooked up to NG. I cooked well but I really missed my kettles.

Pellet grills are much like outdoor ovens IMO and cost a lot.

Good luck Weber. Keep making kettles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 04:12:32 PM »
I don’t see myself getting a gasser ........ ever.

Dude, you really need to drop by my house some time.
I could hook you right up.  I currently have 9 in my garage.

It's too dark out to take pics of the 6 under my deck right now, and if my
son was home I'd have him send me pics of the dozen or so that I have stored
in the corner of his basement. 

Can't forget about my Tiny Genny that sits on my desk
by the Teleflora red head.

:D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:15:45 PM by Dave in KC »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 04:52:39 PM »
Damn Dave. That’s a lot of gassers!  I’m already overwhelmed with my limited space for kettles. I couldn’t imagine having all of those. If I ever do change my mind I know who to get ahold of! Sweet collection, and is there a story about the little redhead? That is pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 05:57:06 PM »
Obligatory....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 10:01:46 AM »
is there a story about the little redhead?

It is actually a fridge magnet.  I had a bunch and sold all but mine and one other.
Id offer it up for sale, but there are a couple on ebay right now that are cheaper
than I paid for mine. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 10:09:10 AM »
is there a story about the little redhead?

It is actually a fridge magnet.  I had a bunch and sold all but mine and one other.
Id offer it up for sale, but there are a couple on ebay right now that are cheaper
than I paid for mine.
That was my first gasser, I still have it LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 10:13:17 AM »
Gassers becoming extinct? I think not. There are a shitload of people that love gassers and don't want to mess with lighting coals... it's a good market bizwise.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Brian ATL

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 10:45:19 AM »
Or their are a bunch of people like myself who enjoy having a UDS for smoking, a performer for my charcoal fix my favorite grill and a restored Weber 1000 which my wife loves when she needs to get something done quickly.  She won't mess with the charcoal but really we use all three of them for different purposes.

There have been times when we have entertained and had all three running.  Wings in the performer, ribs on the UDS and pork tenderloin on the 1000.  Takes a little timing but all get served at the same time.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 04:22:27 PM »
I never realized there were 2 different sizes of the Q!