Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Will gas grills become a relic in 10 years? *(Split Topic by Cellar2ful)  (Read 17211 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Will gas grills become a relic in 10 years?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 05:12:24 PM »
I actually think there are 3 sizes of the Q. The largest is two burners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 12:21:09 AM »
I never realized there were 2 different sizes of the Q!

There are actually 3 sizes.   

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 04:06:28 PM »
My first reaction with this was a huge eye roll, but as I've read more and more about this, Weber would be foolish to not participate in the pellet grill space. As a respected manufacturer and innovator, Weber should have some market share here. While I'm not interested in purchasing one these outdoor ovens, I'm interested in seeing how they differentiate themselves from the competition.

Completely agree, propane grills are going to be a relic in 10 years, charcoal will still have it's purists but if you were a simple back hard griller and needed to purchase a new grill, why wouldn't you go pellet grill?  It is the future.  As far as establishing themselves, I am also curious as the market id very well established, they should have done this 5 years ago, IMO.
Not gonna happen.  I'd sooner expect charcoal or pellet to disappear before propane or NG

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 05:19:47 AM »
Can someone tell me how this topic was created?  it is a subtopic from a pellet grill post somewhere else but looks like I created it, I did not.  Whomever created this should have have maybe created some context with their own words to drum up the conversation.

@SixZeroFour
@Cellar2ful
@Troy
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:24:28 AM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 05:37:33 AM »
Now with the previous stated.  I am going to make my point.  In 10 years will gas grills still be used?  Maybe a relic is a bit much, people will still use gas.  BUT all the numbers in the BBQ industry point to pellet grills increasing in sales dramatically and gas grill sales decreasing in numbers. 
I can attest to my own experience talking to people and selling gas grills myself, used to be I could sell an refurbished weber gas grill within days of listing, this is no longer the case.  When people need a new grill there is a decent percent of them that will opt to go pellet over gas.  They are simply too easy and the results are too good for people to ignore.  Almost every conversation I have with strangers about BBQ ends up talking about pellet grills, most have seen them and most are intrigued by them. 
As far as price coming down, people have been willing to drop 500 to 1000 on Weber gas grills for years so long as they know they are getting quality.  On this note as well, the word is getting out, people are not happy with the new Weber gas grills, when I sell a used refurbished gasser I ask them their thoughts on the new Weber and I have yet to hear someone say "they are nice but too expensive"  no they say the quality is so much worse than they used to be which is why they opted to go used.
So with those factors, 1. pellet grills are the wave of the future and 2. the #1 gas grill maker making a lower quality product the end results will be a shifting of the market to pallet grills and gas losing ground in the next 10 years.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:10:24 AM by LightningBoldtz »
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 05:38:13 AM »
My first reaction with this was a huge eye roll, but as I've read more and more about this, Weber would be foolish to not participate in the pellet grill space. As a respected manufacturer and innovator, Weber should have some market share here. While I'm not interested in purchasing one these outdoor ovens, I'm interested in seeing how they differentiate themselves from the competition.

Completely agree, propane grills are going to be a relic in 10 years, charcoal will still have it's purists but if you were a simple back hard griller and needed to purchase a new grill, why wouldn't you go pellet grill?  It is the future.  As far as establishing themselves, I am also curious as the market id very well established, they should have done this 5 years ago, IMO.
Not gonna happen.  I'd sooner expect charcoal or pellet to disappear before propane or NG

You are not paying attention to market trends.

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 05:51:59 AM »
Seems like a pellet grill is sort of the charcoal grillers' shortcut grill. You get the added flavor flavor of the wood without the additional time to wait for charcoal to heat up. I can see how many consumers could feel like they're getting the benefits of charcoal without the wait. It may not be remotely true, but I can see how a lot of folks could think like that and convince themselves that a pellet grill is more 'romantic' than a gasser.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 05:56:51 AM »
Seems like a pellet grill is sort of the charcoal grillers' shortcut grill. You get the added flavor flavor of the wood without the additional time to wait for charcoal to heat up. I can see how many consumers could feel like they're getting the benefits of charcoal without the wait. It may not be remotely true, but I can see how a lot of folks could think like that and convince themselves that a pellet grill is more 'romantic' than a gasser.

People are busy, even in my own life as my kids are now teens and running all over everywhere, I find myself throwing ribs on the pellet grill because it is so easy.  When I do have time I go to charcoal because I love to play with fire but in a society that is getting less and less time people love the convenience.  I can also attest that the results are close to what I would get on my wsm, in fact I did that very test last year when I cooked 3 racks of ribs on my pellet grill and 3 on my wsm.  Most liked the WSM ribs better, but only slightly.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 07:46:31 AM »
Can someone tell me how this topic was created?  it is a subtopic from a pellet grill post somewhere else but looks like I created it, I did not.  Whomever created this should have have maybe created some context with their own words to drum up the conversation.

I created this topic LightningBoldtz.  With the number of quick response posts to your comment about gas grills on the original post, I felt the pellet grill thread might be better served by splitting the topic.  Your point regarding a context statement is well taken and if I split a topic in the future, I will incorporate your suggestion.

Here is the original thread regarding pellet grills:    http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=43233.0 

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 08:56:28 AM »

I created this topic LightningBoldtz.  With the number of quick response posts to your comment about gas grills on the original post, I felt the pellet grill thread might be better served by splitting the topic.  Your point regarding a context statement is well taken and if I split a topic in the future, I will incorporate your suggestion.

Here is the original thread regarding pellet grills:    http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=43233.0 

OK, I don't have an issue with it because I love the topic, I just think it would have been better understood if you would have maybe put some comments in the original showing that you did it and that you were using my comments as a topic starter.  Thanks

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 09:27:49 AM »
"OK, I don't have an issue with it because I love the topic" Jeff Boldt. I am enjoying the topic and thread as well. It shows that numerous opinions exist and we seem to be having a very open adult conversation regarding our opinions without anyone going crazy. Kudo's to all posts so far and to the class of the WKC !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Will gas grills become a relic in 10 years?
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 09:49:14 AM »
I fail to see the convenience of pellet grills over kettles. I can start a snake and leave for hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:51:47 AM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 09:53:04 AM »
However I fail to see the convenience of anything that’s not a kettle lol

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 10:06:57 AM »
The bbq and grilling world is more than big enough for gas, charcoal, and pellet grills.
As long as pellet grills require a cord to be plugged into an electrical source, charcoal
and propane will still command the market share.    As long as I can have all 3, I will also.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 10:19:06 AM »
I fail to see the convenience of pellet grills over kettles. I can start a snake and leave for hours.

My overnight cooks are glorious. 

Remember the preferred target audience, people who are not like us in that they feel charcoal is "too messy" "takes too long"  "tastes bad" whatever the excuse is for someone who is a simple person or ignorant of how to use charcoal grills.