Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for inspiration  (Read 8093 times)

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
Looking for inspiration
« on: October 11, 2019, 07:22:19 AM »
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing what resources they like to use for recipes and techniques.

I use amazingribs.com along with the bbq bible cookbook a lot. There are a few other cookbooks I use but I’m interested in adding a few new sources of inspiration for cooks as well as mixing up my normal rub rotation. So if anyone has any blogs, websites or books they love I’d appreciate the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Looking for inspiration
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 11:43:32 AM »
Pit boys on YouTube do a lot of good cooks on kettles.
Or you can just look on the Wkc for recipes and Ideas.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 01:36:39 PM »
Malcolm Reed’s How to BBQ Right.

T-Roy Cooks

Those are my faves.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 02:56:40 PM »
Pit boys on YouTube do a lot of good cooks on kettles.
Or you can just look on the Wkc for recipes and Ideas.

X2  Pit Boys videoclips are cool. I wish I could get some of the meat they grill.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 05:01:58 PM »

Malcolm Reed’s How to BBQ Right.

T-Roy Cooks

Those are my faves.

Love these too! BBM, AIM em and claim em, and Harry Soo’s stuff is always inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 05:25:27 PM »
I like all the ones mentioned above. In addition to the bbq stuff I really like many of the different Netflix shows on food and cooking. Check out salt fat acid. It’s a good one to understand the relationship and how to apply it in an endless array of variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »
Mike Lang’s Another Pint Please is also good.  He’s a Weber dude. 

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 06:54:31 PM »
I forgot about Mike.
Thanks for mentioning him.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 04:37:48 AM »
I forgot about Mike.
Thanks for mentioning him.

Yeah I follow Mike, have stole some good ideas from him over the years. Great photography there too.

Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 04:39:35 AM »
I like all the ones mentioned above. In addition to the bbq stuff I really like many of the different Netflix shows on food and cooking. Check out salt fat acid. It’s a good one to understand the relationship and how to apply it in an endless array of variety.

I haven’t seen that one. I’ll look for it. I have watched the Francis Mallmann episode of chefs table about 10 times by now.

cookingjnj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 07:04:35 AM »
In addition to all the previous listed I also gain some inspiration and steal some ideas from Yummly.  A pretty good site with good recipes and very good pictures.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 10:38:23 AM »
White thunder bbq channel is awesome. Tons of inspiration there.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 07:51:53 AM »
If you ever feel like rolling your eyes around the back of your head a few times, check out videos of Steven Raichlen and his $20,000 Kalamazoo Gaucho grill. Between the "too bad you don't live here" Arizona JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and Spa backdrop and his tendency to burn everything to a Terminator 2 like crisp and then declare it a "perfect medium rare", it's quite the viewing experience. He does some kamado videos on a Komodo Kamado that's the size of a dinosaur egg and decorated with more tiles than the space shuttle.

I realize Steven's well-known, well-respected, and has done more for the grilling/cooking community than I could ever do in a million lifetimes, and I'm sure he's probably the nicest guy on the planet to-boot, but I can't help but watch his videos the same way I read the Hater's Guide to the Williams Sonoma Holiday Catalog. His equipment is so over-the-top that I can't take him seriously. They're the kind of videos a billionaire would have his chefs watch in order to use the new grills the little woman got him for sweetest day.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:54:54 AM by jhagestad »
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 10:53:08 AM »
If you ever feel like rolling your eyes around the back of your head a few times, check out videos of Steven Raichlen and his $20,000 Kalamazoo Gaucho grill. Between the "too bad you don't live here" Arizona JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and Spa backdrop and his tendency to burn everything to a Terminator 2 like crisp and then declare it a "perfect medium rare", it's quite the viewing experience. He does some kamado videos on a Komodo Kamado that's the size of a dinosaur egg and decorated with more tiles than the space shuttle.

I realize Steven's well-known, well-respected, and has done more for the grilling/cooking community than I could ever do in a million lifetimes, and I'm sure he's probably the nicest guy on the planet to-boot, but I can't help but watch his videos the same way I read the Hater's Guide to the Williams Sonoma Holiday Catalog. His equipment is so over-the-top that I can't take him seriously. They're the kind of videos a billionaire would have his chefs watch in order to use the new grills the little woman got him for sweetest day.

I find bbq bible (his biggest hit) to be a good resource but I don’t get the feeling any of the recipes are actually his. There are inconsistencies in rubs from recipe to recipe that make it feel like he just researched other peoples recipes and put them together in a complication. He also is wrong consistently with cooking temps and over salts most recipes. Once you know all of this You can tweak what he has and there are a few gems in that book. Just take it all with a grain of salt... or a grain less maybe.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 11:50:30 AM »
Just take it all with a grain of salt... or a grain less maybe.

I see what you did there.  ;)
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again