Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Pizza Baking Steel As a Griddle  (Read 16602 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Kettle Pizza Baking Steel As a Griddle
« on: July 21, 2019, 06:06:00 AM »
Sorry that this is only semi-related to the pizza forum, but I figured it would be the best place to catch people who actually have the Kettle Pizza Baking Steel.  Next weekend (weather permitting) I would like to get the kettle out and try cooking bacon and eggs.  Currently, I have the Baking Steel and I also have some cast iron skillets.

I guess I am just asking if anyone has any tips for using the Baking Steel as a griddle? I was planning on using much like my cast iron in that I would get it hot, do a layer of olive oil, cook, and then do a rinse/scrape with a plastic cleaner tool.  However, if anyone else has a better method I would appreciate them chiming in. 

Thanks!
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

ibuzzard

• Smokey Joe
Re: Kettle Pizza Baking Steel As a Griddle
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 03:28:35 PM »
I would just use the cast iron skillet(s). I do not have that system you’re referring to, but I sure prefer my bacon and eggs cooked in a 50 year old Griswold skillet to anything else.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 04:17:01 AM »
Did you ever try it?  If you did, how did it work out?

Sorry that this is only semi-related to the pizza forum, but I figured it would be the best place to catch people who actually have the Kettle Pizza Baking Steel.  Next weekend (weather permitting) I would like to get the kettle out and try cooking bacon and eggs.  Currently, I have the Baking Steel and I also have some cast iron skillets.

I guess I am just asking if anyone has any tips for using the Baking Steel as a griddle? I was planning on using much like my cast iron in that I would get it hot, do a layer of olive oil, cook, and then do a rinse/scrape with a plastic cleaner tool.  However, if anyone else has a better method I would appreciate them chiming in. 

Thanks!
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 04:20:59 AM »
For what it is worth, @Troy briefly references using his SS baking steel from Kettle Pizza as a griddle a couple of times in the thread below. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=30563.msg353091#msg353091
regards,
Hal

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 08:14:20 AM »
I think it would work fine, but after a few pizza cooks it gets fairly dirty.  I think it is better to just get a separate griddle.  Fortunately I picked up a cheap  Blackstone 22" that should work great for breakfast and be a quick alternative.  I might keep my eye out for a kettle griddle though in the future.  For the moment I picked up a 17" Lodge skillet for the kettle.
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 06:20:45 AM »
My Lodge 14" Cast-iron Pizza Pan arrived the other day and will give it a go in the next couple of weeks.

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 03:07:40 AM »
I just bought one of these for the top of my pizzakettle, and as a another griddle.  The price is nice,  and they have 18" as well as a 22"

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/products/wsm-griddle-plate

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 03:59:37 AM »
An alternative I use with success is one or two cast iron skillets on my genesis.  I prefer the temperature control of gas.  The skillets contain the grease a bit better too.  Kettles are more fun, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk