Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettlepizza baking steel  (Read 5714 times)

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
Kettlepizza baking steel
« on: June 10, 2017, 08:28:18 AM »
I see that kettle pizza makes "baking steel" to go on top of setup. They have cold rolled steel or stainless anyone prefer one over the other? I think it wouldn't matter too much for the pizza but it says it can be used as a griddle which i would like to do as mentioned in this article, for smashed burgers.  http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/09/the-pizza-lab-we-test-kettle-pizza-and-baking-steels-new-joint-pizza-oven.html

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Kettlepizza baking steel
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 01:01:05 PM »
I have the stainless one and it is NICE!
I've used it as a griddle a couple of times as well.

I think it's definitely worth the 30 upgrade.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 07:57:50 AM »
Worth every penny!  18lbs of glorious heat radiation and flame redirection...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »
The cold rolled one is on sale at walmart.com now for 69 with free shipping

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »
I have the SS version and it definitely makes a difference. Haven't used it as a griddle yet.....but I will.  Need the real estate for smash burgers.

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 06:34:21 AM »
Before I bought the SS version I used to use two pizza stones over top and it worked just as well if not better. The round one toward the back over the flame and longer one on top the opposite direction. Learned that trick making Pizza on the gasser. A couple bricks on either side of the long one and it makes a perfect little oven.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »
How thick of netal are these pizza steels.

gchenworth

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 05:24:47 PM »
Kettle pizzas web site talks about seasoning the steel.  If you are using it to redirect heat rather than as a cooking surface, is seasoning really doing anything? Also, why pay the extra cost for the stainless steel? Is there any difference in performance or function?

Also noticed that the higher priced packages on thier site indicate the oven /ring is specific to the 22 while the cheaper versions say adjustable for 18 or 22. That must mean the adjustable version is not a single piece ring.  My concern would be that would make it les stable / more flimsy feeling.  Anyone have experience with the different versions?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 06:39:50 AM »
Kettle pizzas web site talks about seasoning the steel.  If you are using it to redirect heat rather than as a cooking surface, is seasoning really doing anything? Also, why pay the extra cost for the stainless steel? Is there any difference in performance or function?

Also noticed that the higher priced packages on thier site indicate the oven /ring is specific to the 22 while the cheaper versions say adjustable for 18 or 22. That must mean the adjustable version is not a single piece ring.  My concern would be that would make it les stable / more flimsy feeling.  Anyone have experience with the different versions?

The ring itself is adjustable for either 22.5 or 18.5 grills, but the prograte/tombstone and the baking steels are not adjustable and will only fit in the ring when the ring is configured for a 22.5" grill.  I would say the SS steel isn't necessary is you aren't planning to use it as a griddle.  If you are planning to use the baking steel for cooking for on it directly, I'd go with the SS model so it is easier to clean and maintain.  I'm not sure about seasoning it.  I'd think it is similar to the ADrenaline BBQ Drip N' Griddle which does not require any seasoning.  The cold rolled steel version probably does need some seasoning to prevent it from rusting...similar to cast iron.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

gchenworth

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 07:05:25 PM »
I was reading about the baking steel product and I'm a little confused by its use in the kettle pizza.  Looks like the baking steel story is about the benefits of using it instead of a pizza stone.  Supposed to perform better.  But when kp incorporates baking steel they essentially make it an internal lid to direct hot air and flame closer to the top of the pizza.

In my off-set smoker I use a $5 baking sheet in a similar way to redirect heat though in that case I'm using it to moderate heat.

I'm wondering here... if baking steel is better in the home oven than pizza stone, why not use baking steel instead of stone (obviously a size like a stone not the full size steel they sell for kp). And wouldn't a cheaper thin piece of steel accomplish the same thing as the baking steel the way they're using it to redirect air flow and flame?

Has anyone else considered this?