Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: what are your other pursuits?  (Read 8233 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: what are your other pursuits?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2019, 05:26:34 PM »
Classic/vintage Kirby vacuums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that is interesting, restore and resell or keep? They are bad ass vacuums

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

A little of both. It started out when our Hoover smelled like our dog all the time. Had a Miele with charcoal filters but didn’t like having a canister. Then found out about Kirby and their charcoal activated bags. Best of both worlds, bad ass machine and no odor.

Our son is sensitive to loud noises and the new self propelled machines are louder due to the tech drive transmission in them. I tried a Heritage II model from the 80s and was hooked. I’d like to add a Classic Omega and a Tradition to the lineup someday but I’m not in a hurry.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2019, 10:08:34 PM »

I tried to get a job selling Kirby vacuums, when they wanted me to go pass out flyers all day, and hope 48 people called back from my flyers, then if I did 48 demos on a month I would make the 1600 bucks or whatever. I quit instantly lol.

They are bad ass vacuums though, I saw one in a pic for a garage sale, but when I got there they wanted 350, and I couldnt afford to pay that.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2019, 06:08:01 AM »

Eating and CrossFit

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Nice!! I need to get back into CrossFit. Have a favorite workout?

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2019, 08:52:37 AM »
Same here. I took a month off when we had our first kid thinking I would be able to get back to after the sleep deprivation season was over. That was 3 years ago. Turns out it never ended lol

Eating and CrossFit

Nice!! I need to get back into CrossFit. Have a favorite workout?

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2019, 07:31:58 PM »
I picked an older Kirby up with a whole mess of bags, attachments, etc at garage sale near me.  It was $15 or less.  I've seen them listed locally for pretty cheap too. 

I tried to get a job selling Kirby vacuums, when they wanted me to go pass out flyers all day, and hope 48 people called back from my flyers, then if I did 48 demos on a month I would make the 1600 bucks or whatever. I quit instantly lol.

They are bad ass vacuums though, I saw one in a pic for a garage sale, but when I got there they wanted 350, and I couldnt afford to pay that.
regards,
Hal

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2019, 09:07:50 PM »
I have hunted and fished since I was a boy and still do.  If I’m lucky enough to get 3-4 deer a year we don’t have to buy ground beef.  And for 7 years that plan has worked out.  Some of my hobbies fit the same mold as Weber grills - Finding items that that others do not value or do not know how to restore.  I go back and forth between a few hobbies and interests.  Coleman lanterns and stoves, vintage cast iron and neglected guns are all items I am on the lookout for.   My best finds this year is a Coleman 200a for $2 that I rebuilt, a BSR 3052 1st gen Sportsman pan for $5.  The sportsman pan is in the electrolysis tank but here is the finished 200A.  I guess I’m just a tinkerer who cant sit still.  Always have to be working on something or taking things apart.

The One The Only

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2019, 01:01:59 PM »
hey James, what do you mean by amateur radio exactly?

Hi, sorry, I didn't see this reply until today. Amateur Radio is a hobby I've been involved with for 30+ years. It's pretty much a hobby shared by many around the world. It requires a license by the government (which requires taking a test). You setup a radio station and talk with other amateur radio operators around the world (or locally too). There are many different facets you can get into. Some people collect, restore and operate vintage radios, some build their own, some strive to talk to every country available, some enjoy radio "contests", some even bounce radio signals off the moon and talk to others doing the same (which I've done!). You can use voice, morse code and other digital modes. It's a fascinating hobby that is still magic to me in many respects.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2019, 06:44:59 PM »

Sounds like a “sucky” job.

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2019, 08:51:56 PM »
@Walchit Do you by any chance have any Scotch Bonnet peppers?

I share many interests with you guys!

My wife has been getting into photography, and I just got myself a Nikon d3300 for 60 bucks at an estate sale the other day(brand new)
Not looking forward to buying glass, we spent like 650 on my wife's tamron lens and that's pretty cheap.

@Cellar2full we should trade seeds sometime before next season! I got quite a few tomato varieties in a trade this year, but if you like peppers I'm your man! I will post up some pics of what I grew last year. We had so much rain that I'm just now getting all my plants in.

I also used to mess with car audio, but I haven't lately because I feel like I used to go through alternators a lot quicker back then lol

I will keep my eye out for old locks too @Cain will let you know if I find something

Anyway, here are some crappy cell phone pics of peppers, my main hobby, which I hope to make a business out of, some day. But its a pretty saturated market.
Oh and I make homemade hot sauce. If anyone wants to try some let me know. I haven't made a batch in a while, but I need to use up the freezer full of peppers I have.
regards,
Hal

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2019, 09:00:23 PM »
I have many interests and hobbies, but other than being the weirdo with more than one grill, the thing I’m most known for among friends and relatives is my passion for combat sports. I teach muay thai (kickboxing) on the side at a local gym in Elgin.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2019, 02:18:22 AM »
@Walchit Do you by any chance have any Scotch Bonnet peppers?

I share many interests with you guys!

My wife has been getting into photography, and I just got myself a Nikon d3300 for 60 bucks at an estate sale the other day(brand new)
Not looking forward to buying glass, we spent like 650 on my wife's tamron lens and that's pretty cheap.

@Cellar2full we should trade seeds sometime before next season! I got quite a few tomato varieties in a trade this year, but if you like peppers I'm your man! I will post up some pics of what I grew last year. We had so much rain that I'm just now getting all my plants in.

I also used to mess with car audio, but I haven't lately because I feel like I used to go through alternators a lot quicker back then lol

I will keep my eye out for old locks too @Cain will let you know if I find something

Anyway, here are some crappy cell phone pics of peppers, my main hobby, which I hope to make a business out of, some day. But its a pretty saturated market.
Oh and I make homemade hot sauce. If anyone wants to try some let me know. I haven't made a batch in a while, but I need to use up the freezer full of peppers I have.

My plants are doing rough right now, Idk if the neighbor sprayed something, or the calcium is locked out of my soil. I had a bunch of bonnets I was gonna plant, and between all the rain we had, and t-ball, softball, and soccer, I let a couple hundred plants die in 3" pots.

I do know a guy in Illinois that started a giant organic farm. He should have some soon if not now. He's put a ton of work and a ton of money into his farm the last two years.

If you want some seeds, or live plants next season I can hook you up. If plants I would need to know what you wanted around January. Well seeds too cause you would need to start bonnets early

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2019, 02:24:42 AM »
Oh and I'm about to go buy this Kirby at an estate sale this morning for 17.50. They wanted 35, so I'm hoping its still there for half price day. It was older than the ultimate g, but has the shampooer, and attachments.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2019, 06:55:58 AM »
Awesome, Kirby makes a beast of a vacuum.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2019, 10:34:50 AM »
Awesome, Kirby makes a beast of a vacuum.

Its a sentria, Idk if that's older or newer than the ultimate g. I cant remember when I wotked there, or when I bought a brand new one for 700 from a friend of a friend who worked at kirby, but that is the one I'm familiar with. It seems this one has the same shampooed and attachments, so I think its worth 17.50 for sure.

I wish I still had the little piece and filters they use for demos, so you can see how much dirt they pull after you already vaccumed with your current one

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »
Yeah that’s the Sentria I and it’s newer than the ultimate G. You did really well with that price. I prefer the older non self propelled models. The motors don’t run as high pitch for the tech-drive transmission and believe it or not they are much lighter than the new ones.