Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: what are your other pursuits?  (Read 8403 times)

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: what are your other pursuits?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2019, 04:15:04 AM »
I will have to keep my eye out for an older one. I remember when I was a kid one of my parents friends used to refurbish them.

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2019, 09:05:03 AM »
Woodworking, motorcycles, archery to name a few

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2019, 07:36:59 AM »
Women.
Me too. But at my age, I'm old & slow... so I don't catch 'em any more.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2019, 09:48:27 AM »
Women.
Me too. But at my age, I'm old & slow... so I don't catch 'em any more.

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2019, 01:55:07 PM »
well, I've just joined the boat that rescues stray cats. we had one dart into our house cause it heard my wife put food down while the back door was open. poor thing was skin n bones and very very pregnant. no tattoo or chip when we had the vet check her out, so she's ours now. a gorgeous calico that vet says is less than 2 years old. she's due to have the kittens sometime this week, so I've been learning on cat midwifery, LoL!
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2019, 03:39:02 PM »
Aside from my Webers, I would have to say my newest focus in welding. It started with a Lincoln arc welder, which turned out I couldn't use without running a new wire. I wanted 50 amps and I ony had a 30 amp dryer plug available. Then I had a project in mind for our WSM's, so I bought a mig welder with a spool gun to do aluminum, saw a guy using a plasma cutter in a youtube video, did some research and bought a plasma cutter, then saw a video for a tig welder, well those machines can also do stick welding, and all these can run on 30 amps, plasma and tig can also be run on 110 or 220,  so yea, I dove in whole hearted like I did with bbq's... have been tinkering around with all my new machines, and by NO means am I proficient... but its fun learning. My saying is "I didn't say I was a welder, I said I have a welder"...lol  Also like camping.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2019, 07:27:55 AM »
Hi, sorry, I didn't see this reply until today. Amateur Radio is a hobby I've been involved with for 30+ years. It's pretty much a hobby shared by many around the world. It requires a license by the government (which requires taking a test). You setup a radio station and talk with other amateur radio operators around the world (or locally too). There are many different facets you can get into. Some people collect, restore and operate vintage radios, some build their own, some strive to talk to every country available, some enjoy radio "contests", some even bounce radio signals off the moon and talk to others doing the same (which I've done!). You can use voice, morse code and other digital modes. It's a fascinating hobby that is still magic to me in many respects.

How are the hamfests in your area?  The reason I'm asking is I finally got to a point where I could begin outfitting a reasonably serious workshop at home and move up from the crappy Radio Shack soldering iron and Canadian Tire multimeters I've been using since high school and kept hearing and reading that hamfests are the place to go for 'the good stuff' at reasonable prices, so I went to a few.  They were almost a total dud.  I did pick up a decent RF signal generator and a couple of old vacuum tube receivers but other than that it was all junk.  By that, I mean destroyed chassis that were ready for the scrap metal bin being sold at high prices.  The person who sold me the signal generator said that nothing good ever sells at the hamfests.  I ended up having much better luck with ebay, kijiji, the Canadian government surplus auctions, and a couple of industrial surplus businesses.