Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM+SSP  (Read 2722 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
WSM+SSP
« on: April 23, 2019, 03:25:27 PM »
Big thanks to Jon Tofte and Chiku18 for helping me source the parts for my WSM-SSP build.  I’ve been gathering bits and pieces over time and couldn’t have done it without these two grillfellas. 

I’ve owned 18” WSMs in the past, but could never find the right setup for me.  I decided I’d build a cart by cutting down an SSP frame.  Its been lowered by about 7 inches and the lower shelf widened to fit durawood slats. I replaced all four star nuts and SS hex bolts in the lower cross bars.  I also had to shorten the propane tank holder to accommodate a shorter frame.  I used casters from the new Genesis on all four corners, they’re so much better than the stock performer casters.  Now with the frame reinforced and rolling around smoothly, I turned my attention to the bowl and mid-section.  I cut off all the rusted hard ware and replaced with stainless steel - using acorn nuts on the interior.  Although I removed the now vestigial lid bale, I kept the lid bale holder to use as a place to hang the CB door when not in use - FUNctional!

In addition to the aforementioned CB door, I also added the Unknown BBQ hinge, which is a must, and the Gateway hanger which I’ve really come to love.  After using the hanger for awhile, I added a 14”WSM charcoal ring for more versatile fuel management - I can use less fuel for shorter cooks while still attaining high temps, concentrate the heat on one side, or run a snake in-between the 14” and 22” rings. 

Although I was a little concerned using a performer bowl would mean a big air leak from the gas assist burner tube, it still shuts down pretty quickly and I’m not experiencing run-away temps.  The convenience of gas assist really comes in handy and the sweeper system completely eliminates the need to break down the smoker in between cooks - a huge improvement to the clean up process.

Thanks for looking!
☀️[emoji41]✌️
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:33:39 PM by Mr.CPHo »

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Re: WSM+SSP
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 05:35:27 PM »
So Sweet!!  Great Mod!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 06:37:54 PM »
Love it. Was never satisfied with some of the design aspects of the wsm that i ended up selling both of mine and went with a stacker instead.
If you're worried about air leakage on the gas assist, just  wrap the burner tube right around the venturi with aluminum foil once you're done lighting the coal.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 04:32:52 AM »
Very FUNctional mod
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 06:12:00 AM »
I need one! Do they sell just the mid section of the wsm? A kettle lid would work too right?

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »
Beautiful mod!   How tall are you?   I’m 5,5 and I think I’d need a step ladder to put food on it.  Lol. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 12:02:31 PM »
Beautiful mod!   How tall are you?   I’m 5,5 and I think I’d need a step ladder to put food on it.  Lol. 

@Mr.CPHo is 4' 11 1/2 but his smile makes him look 6 feet
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 03:34:08 PM »
Another great custom Wsm. Very nice Charlie.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 04:05:26 PM »

@Mr.CPHo is 4' 11 1/2 but his smile makes him look 6 feet
Bahahahahahaha

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 06:28:29 PM »

Do they sell just the mid section of the wsm? A kettle lid would work too right?

I suppose you could buy the mid-section directly from Weber, but I waited for an affordable 22” WSM to pop up.  A kettle lid would not work.
Thanks!  I know the proportions make it look super tall, but it’s only 44” from the ground to the top grate. 

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 12:22:23 AM »
Nicely done! Looks great!

Schuey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 04:28:44 PM »
That looks awesome
It wasn't me......Well maybe it was..

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 05:46:44 PM »
Great job @Mr.CPHo!   
Is the SSP frame height lowered, or original height?

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 06:38:33 PM »

Great job @Mr.CPHo!   
Is the SSP frame height lowered, or original height?
Thanks!  The frame has been cut down by about 7 inches and I believe using casters all-around further lowered the table height.

LowandSlow

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 07:25:28 AM »
I picked up a black SSP  awhile back and I have been reading here about  these Table Smoker Mods. I just picked  a really nice 22 WSM , but I really love my SSP and use it all the time for grilling and pizza. I don't want to dedicate it for Smoking . I also feel that the height works for me .I am 5'11 and it puts the top grate at chest level .I will buy a hinge so I don't have to pull off the top and set it down somewhere. I will use the charcoal grate from the WSM because it is an inch wider and will allow for more air below the fire. For long cooks I can add wood easily and start it with the igniter if needed. I see the set up not as a modification but a nice accessory to my favorite grill.