Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wood Fire Cooking  (Read 1587 times)

tonydig

• Smokey Joe
Wood Fire Cooking
« on: March 08, 2019, 04:46:34 AM »
Has anyone been successful using full wood fire cooking in their weber? I've done a bunch of searching and havent found much helpful info.

My initial thoughts are that the bowl is too low and you would lose a lot of heat with the grates since the ash would fall through the grate. Maybe cross grates? Even this may allow too much gap. I think the fire probably needs to be raised higher than the bowl.

I actually have a kudu grill grate (not the grill, just the grate) and a pole that I am planning to fix to the side of the weber so I can raise/swing the kudu grate. Similar in concept to the Gabby Santa Maria attachment but will be able to swing in and out of the flame as well as raise up and down.

Pics and insights much appreciated!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Wood Fire Cooking
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:26:21 AM »
Baby Back Maniac has YouTube video for cooking with wood on a WSM.  In it, he cooks a Tritip attempting to mimic Santa Maria style.  T-Roy cooks has several Gabby grill videos.

I've never tried it.  I'm somewhat skeptical that the added effort will produce a significantly different result to make it worthwhile. 

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 07:50:08 AM »
Maybe cross grates?

@tonydig , I would highly recommend using expanded metal (EM) on the existing charcoal grate.
It will help prevent losing some nice, smaller pieces of glowing embers.  I also like EM when using lump charcoal.

Here is a thread of mine where I used some driftwood:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/grilling-with-driftwood/

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

tonydig

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »
Maybe cross grates?

@tonydig , I would highly recommend using expanded metal (EM) on the existing charcoal grate.
It will help prevent losing some nice, smaller pieces of glowing embers.  I also like EM when using lump charcoal.

Here is a thread of mine where I used some driftwood:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/grilling-with-driftwood/

yes! this looks perfect. how easy/difficult is it to cut to shape?

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 06:31:24 PM »
My question would be,  Why bother?  Given the quality of lump charcoal available. Why bother? Given the effort involved, Why bother?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 05:41:26 AM »
yes! this looks perfect. how easy/difficult is it to cut to shape?

@tonydig , not difficult.  I used an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel then smoothed out the rough edges.
Be sure to use gloves with EM.  It will cut your hand like a razor blade if you're not careful.

My question would be,  Why bother?  Given the quality of lump charcoal available. Why bother? Given the effort involved, Why bother?

@Darko
Hmmm... Why, you ask?  Because it's doing something different, and it's fun. YMMV  :D ;D ;)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 07:02:27 AM »
Why bother??  Because any excuse to play with fire and food is fun.

I’ve cooked many times over an open fire using a tripod. I love the flavor I get while cooking over a fire.

Speaking of that, I need to break the tripod out and cook something.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 04:34:17 AM »
Why bother??  Because any excuse to play with fire and food is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Exactly what I was thinking...

Mix in a few beers (for me, not the fire) and it's a great time...

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 07:53:45 AM »
A wood fire is the true essence and roots of all BBQ. You'll get character and flavor in your cooking that you can't get with any other fuel.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 06:48:00 PM »
The reason I said "Why Bother" was was this sentence by the OP..."My initial thoughts are that the bowl is too low and you would lose a lot of heat with the grates since the ash would fall through the grate. Maybe cross grates? Even this may allow too much gap. I think the fire probably needs to be raised higher than the bowl. "

This is why I thought the way I did.

I have cooked over a wood fire & wood burned down to coals, but not in a weber kettle.

This does give me an idea for an experiment....

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 05:15:06 AM »

What are you thinking?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 09:44:33 AM »

What are you thinking?

Don't over-think it.... Burning wood in a kettle is rather straight-forward. Then cook...  ??? :D ;D ;)

Image-8.jpg" border="0

Image-9.jpg" border="0

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 10:48:29 AM »

What are you thinking?
I'm thinking to do a side by side comparison using lump in one kettle & wood in another, just to see if there is much difference in terms of preparation before it's ready to cook and any other differences.  If the only difference is that wood takes longer to be ready... that wont be an issue.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 10:08:29 AM »

@Darko ,
While you're at it, perhaps you could re-visit an old thread of yours, and get 'er glowing red hot.  ??? :o ;D ;)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
Used to know a fella who cooked with nothing but reduced twigs, logs, splits or chunks........whatever he could find laying around is what he used. He claimed it provided more of what he was looking for that gas or charcoal. I don't think he used a Weber and know forsure he did not worry about gaps....he just burned the wood down till the flames were mostly gone than added the food. Easy peasy Louisey.

I have also done straight wood cooks.....but have yet to make a Kettle glow Red Hot from heat.........sheeeeeeeeit.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"