Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Why do you like Weber grills?  (Read 2281 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Why do you like Weber grills?
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:34:16 AM »
This subject has probably been brought up before, but I am interested in knowing what draws people to Weber grills? 

Obviously, we have all choices in what we cook on, but if you're an active member here, you obviously have an affinity to our beloved buoy shaped cookers.

For me, my dad had Webers, so naturally, that's what I gravitated towards.  I love that my Weber charcoal grills are so versatile.  They may not be great at any one thing, but they seem to do everything well.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 07:37:21 AM by michaelmilitello »

JCT3

• Happy Cooker
Re: Why do you like Weber grills?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 07:44:28 AM »
Weber grills and smokers do a great job at a very reasonable price, plus they are well made and durable with great customer service when needed.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 08:03:55 AM »
When I was a kid, they were basically the high end grill.
They last a long time & tend to hold their looks fairly well for quite a long time to boot.
You can pick up a used one dirt cheap and the new ones are not a bad price (especially considering how long they last).
Personally, I don't get all that hung up on keeping a temperature that steady.  (I kind of view not having everything "exact" is just part of the fun of cooking using charcoal or wood).
On my smoker, I check it every once in a while, same if I'm doing a longer cook on the kettle.

I don't see much point in shelling out some fairly high dollars for a BGE (or similar) that might hold temps steadier & use less charcoal because it is going to take me an awful long time to save enough $ in charcoal to justify the payment.  Plus, I think the kettle just looks better.
regards,
Hal

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 09:27:41 AM »
Hmmm... why do I like kettles...

First off, you can cook on them in many ways, and if you falter at cleaning them up on a timely basis, they don't seem to care. They still perform for you. They are VERY versatile. Colors. Sooo many colors out there. And when I'm standing nekkid next to my Redhead, well, let's just say... no wait... different story... :-)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 09:39:56 AM »
So this question hits home for me because I've spent money on propane grills, electric smokers and pellet smokers. They all at some point gave me problems. To make things worse customer service was never help or a pleasant experience when I did run into issues. It still upsets me that after all, I wasted my hard earned money on a product and company that did not value me.

I fell in love with my first Weber Kettle because it just worked. I did have to learn charcoal which took some time, also I needed to learn my other Weber products but it's all been worth while.

Weber's customer service is just the cherry on top for me. I had an issue with my first Kettle, they didn't try sweeping responsibility under the rug. They knew I had a problem and fixed it in a very professional and timely manner. This was when Weber truly won me over. I told the customer service representative that I was so impressed with how they handled my issue that I would replace all my cookers with Weber products. She probably thought I was joking but I wasn't. I first sold my Master Touch to upgrade to a 26" Kettle then went from location to location to find all the Weber products I wanted. I added a 22.5" WSM, Summit Charcoal, Gas Go-Anywhere, Jumbo Joe and Smokey Joe all within a week from my phone call with Weber.  All because Weber makes good products but more importantly backs them up with great customer service. I'm extremely loyal to them because they are to me. I try to get them business any chance I get.

Now Weber if you're reading this please make a 14" Summit Charcoal, I'd be all over that!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:42:55 AM by jp217p »

MadGasser

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 11:11:38 AM »
2 reasons:

Classic looks and classic quality. The rest is icing on the cake.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 12:16:47 PM »
That’s a good question.

My dad had a red 22.5“ and so I grow up with it.
There is a thread concerning this kettle!

I like the appearance, the round shape and the durable quality.
The colors are often a nice high light in the backyard!

It’s a so versatile BBQ/grill with a straightforward temp control.
There is nearly nothing you can’t do with a Weber!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:05:03 PM by Jan M. »
Best regards,
Jan

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 02:18:23 PM »
   It's the grill my mother cooked on and I'm a sucker for all things Americana. Plus all the good things everybody else said is spot on.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »
Speaking of the kettles specifically.

Simplicity

Durability

Classic

Portable

Portability is one I don’t here brought up often but it’s a great feature.

For example, I can load the 18” standing up in the back of an suv and tie it down easily by myself.

The 22” is easy enough to tie down in the back of the truck and easily be carried by myself.

Not that it’s known for portability but I can tie my 26” down in the back of the truck by myself and bring wherever it’s needed.

I can’t think of a single grill on the market that has the cooking area of a 26 that I can move by myself without assistance.

I don’t travel with my grills often, but when I do, it’s a kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 03:53:39 PM »
Why do I like Weber Grills? ... Because they work. Whatever you want to do, you can do it on a Weber.

double_p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 06:10:24 PM »
Like the op, my dad had one so now I do too. He switched to gas in the 90's but I still remembered him firing up the weber kettle when I was younger. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Performer 22, master touch.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 09:06:29 AM »
Honestly for me what initially drew me is quality.  I am so tired of buying garbage that is made for the dump.  So many products that we buy today we replace in a couple of years.  In my house I revamped my kitchen 13 years ago, I am on my 3rd Microwave and it appears my dishwasher will be dying soon which I have already replaced.  Weber had bucked that for a long time, I say had because I am not pleased at all with recent development especially in the NG and propane line of grills.  I look for quality where ever I can, I am willing to pay more for something that will last.  The fact that I can cook on a grill from the 60's and 70's and they come in all different colors, makes it my hobby.  Using my vitamix blender or kitchen aid Mixer is great but I am not collecting or getting more than one of them.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 06:12:01 PM »
Honestly for me what initially drew me is quality.  I am so tired of buying garbage that is made for the dump.  So many products that we buy today we replace in a couple of years.  In my house I revamped my kitchen 13 years ago, I am on my 3rd Microwave and it appears my dishwasher will be dying soon which I have already replaced.  Weber had bucked that for a long time, I say had because I am not pleased at all with recent development especially in the NG and propane line of grills.  I look for quality where ever I can, I am willing to pay more for something that will last.  The fact that I can cook on a grill from the 60's and 70's and they come in all different colors, makes it my hobby.  Using my vitamix blender or kitchen aid Mixer is great but I am not collecting or getting more than one of them.

I couldn't agree more.  It amazes me how well most of these kettles have stood the test of time.  From the heat of Summer to what even Winter dished out, the stories they could tell.  I'm just trying to add a few chapters to the story.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 06:16:18 AM »
You can configure them  to do anything and they are quite durable to boot!

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 08:11:15 AM »
I like that you can really do anything you want . I smoke ribs pork butts  you name it all in the kettle . I used to have an offset smoker that I fought non stop. I tried smoking on my weber and never looked back . I gave the smoker to my neighbor .  A few of my neighbors grill and smoke and they tease me about how many grills do you need , blah blah . But when they taste the food they usually shut up ! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club