Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Why do you like Weber grills?  (Read 2282 times)

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
Re: Why do you like Weber grills?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 12:01:04 PM »
My dad had one.  It was as simple as that for me.  He had a gas one and then switched to a charcoal because he wanted to try different things.  Always loved the food that came off it.  I got a free gas grill from a neighbor when we bought our house.  I used that for a couple of years and then it started rusting out in the burner tubes.  It got my by for a couple of years.  So last winter I told my wife "you know in the spring I think I'm going to have to get a new grill.  I want a Weber charcoal grill."  I maybe mentioned it twice.  Then my birthday in February roles around and BAM!  She bought me a 22" master touch as a birthday gift.  I've grilled and smoked more this year than in the 7 years we've been together.  I love it cuz my dad had one...and because it was an awesome gift from my wife.

GAgeonerd

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 04:21:51 PM »
Back in 1990, I bought a new house and my former neighbor was moving as well. He had no place to keep his Weber 26, so I kept it and used it for two years before he picked it up. I learned how versitile and we'll built Weber's were.

In 2011 I bought my first Weber, a black 22 premium. Last year, my wife bought the red limited edition for me.  I gave the black to a buddy that I knew would enjoy it.
During my kettle hiatus from 1992 to 2011, I used a Bandera smoker.  I am happy now with just the Weber and often use it to cook entire meals.

Cheers!
Mark

Sent from my moto z3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dbhost

• WKC Brave
    • Daves Workshop Youtube page.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 10:27:02 AM »
Speaking specifically of the kettles I have chosen over the years. I cannot speak for all Weber products obviously...

#!. Usability. Simply speaking, properly outfitted with the hinged grates, you can esaily set up, and maintain your cook with very little effort.
#2. Flexibilty. I have come from the world of larger dedicated offset smokers, and found that it is MUCH harder to go from grilling, to smoking on an offset than it is on a Weber.
#3. Durability. The ceramic based finish is MUCH better at resisting rust. I have had steel offset smokers rust out in less than 2 years. No such problem with my Webers. My Smokey Joe Silver is now over a decade old, and aside from replacing the cooking grate, it cleans up and works fantastic.
#4. Smaller footprint. I have 2 22" Webers, AND my Smokey Joe Silver in less space than my old New Braunfels Smoker , which means I can store my Webers, All of them, inside the garage  workshop. They literally slide right in behind my lathe, once they are cooled off and clean of course.
#5. TCO. Total cost of ownership. Compared to the old offset smokers, for the same amount of food cooked, I use about 1/2 as much smoking wood / charcoal. The grills themselves were MUCH cheaper. My New Braunfels Smoker Bandera Smoker (same model now rebranded as Char Broil Oklahoma Joes Bandera) cost $350.00 back in 2006, My Jumbo Joe Premium, my Smokey Joe, and my old Craigslist find 3 wheeler Bar B Kettle has less than $160.00 wrapped up in. Add accessories and I am just barely over $200.00. Yes I could have spent more on one new top end model Weber kettle, but I wouldn't have any better results with my cooking...

I added both 22" kettles last year to give me the cooking space I wanted. Learning the techniques to get the best out of the Weber was super easy. My favorite results I can find pics for right now are from last week, I smoked a whole small turkey which we turned into 4 different meals...

And a couple of large pork loins that we got from the local store when they were having a sale on pork.

I stocked up on a mess of pork ribs at that time as well, all of which went together VERY well...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:29:54 AM by dbhost »
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 01:11:20 PM »
On top of everything that has already been said here, is trust. You can go outside, no matter the weather, light it up, and trust your food with it.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 07:25:22 AM »
On top of everything that has already been said here, is trust. You can go outside, no matter the weather, light it up, and trust your food with it.

A very valid, and interesting point. It is VERY rare that we get snow here in Coastal Texas, however I have grilled up fajitas on my Smokey Joe under an EZ Up in snow, blowing winds, or sleet on actually quite a few occasions without even giving it much thought. 

I've used the SJ at the west Texas deer lease where it FREQUENTLY gets down into the teens, and has plenty of snow during late deer season, and again, the SJ does its thing just like it should.

So yeah, trust is a great way of turning that phrase, reliability, etc...
3 Kettles. 1998 Daisy Wheel 22.5, 2010 Smokey Joe Silver 14, 2018 Jumbo Joe Premium 22.5.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 09:31:35 AM »
It is very fuel efficient. Much better than most.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 09:29:53 PM »
I timed it loosely one time......
Set up two kettles, started half a chimney of coals, went inside & quickly rubbed two pork shoulders, went out & started both snakes, set butts on & then went in to go to sleep.........

13 minutes.........woke up the next morning to two perfectly done pieces......

I know of no other cooking appliance that can do that & it will do it on repeated occasions.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

dbhost

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 11:35:38 AM »
I timed it loosely one time......
Set up two kettles, started half a chimney of coals, went inside & quickly rubbed two pork shoulders, went out & started both snakes, set butts on & then went in to go to sleep.........

13 minutes.........woke up the next morning to two perfectly done pieces......

I know of no other cooking appliance that can do that & it will do it on repeated occasions.....

Talk about a slow cooker!

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 10:58:34 AM »
The common threads here are.
1.  Its what my Grand dad used
2.  Its what my Dad Used.
3.  Its what I use...  (ALOT)
4.  Its what my Son uses....

Give that, in my case, its familial...

Consistent results no matter what weather you cook in.  We all have learned to adapt to our environments.   We are creative and share a TON of information and history with these grills of Fortune.  And its not just Charcoal or kettles 18 Inch to the Ranch... Its LP, the Q series,  The smokey Joe, the Jumbo Joes... i could go on...

Its part of my personal culture and it has been for Generations.  I have caught some folks in big box stores buying the "Other Guys" grills.  I compliment them for using charcoal and let them know for an additional 20 bucks or so the Weber will last a lifetime and more.  I have happily converted a few in the process.  I still have my Dads and, my FIL's first Weber kettles.  Those are cleaned up and in storage waiting for my Grand Son /Daughters to start grilling. 

That said, 

Weber for Life!! 

Grill on bros!!  Grill on!!
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...