Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grillfella Confessions  (Read 16939 times)

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Grillfella Confessions
« on: January 10, 2019, 12:00:38 PM »
We all have deep secrets related to grilling. Well, I do anyway. I thought the new year would be a good time to come clean and expose some of them. Nothing is off limits. We’re a forgiving group and no one will lol no matter what you say. Here are my first five confessions. Add yours at your own discression.

I have never smoked baby back ribs.
I use gas about as often as I do charcoal.
I bought a bag of Weber charcoal at full retail recently.
I let my WSM get all moldy inside (twice!) when I forgot to clean it out the day after a cook.
I’ve had a Thermoworks Smoke since day one and never used it.

OK, I feel better...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:42:10 PM by 56MPG »
Retired

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Re: Grillfela Confessions
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 12:20:37 PM »
I have an interview next week with a company that I'd really, really like to work for (they make great products). 

While doing some additional research on the company in preparation for the interview, I discovered that they had a logo kettle done for them by Weber a number of years ago.  So, I started searching for the grill and found maybe 1 reference to it on here.  Then, I found one BNIB with a price OVER double of the price of a non-logo Weber.  If I get this job, I'm probably going to have to buy that Weber (even though I'm normally much more of a cheap b@st@rd).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:36:04 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 12:21:25 PM »
In my early days of charcoal use, I placed ashes I thought were cold in a plastic trash can.  The next day my trash can was a smoldering heap of unrecognizable nothing.    I was lucky my stupidity was not punished worse than cleaning up molten plastic. 

Suffice it to say I had a galvanized metal can the very same day to dump ashes, which I use no matter hold old the ashes are. 

There.  Now I feel better. 

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »
I've mentioned this elsewhere.
But, I've been on here about 1.25 years. Sometime within the last several years before that, I noticed a flea market Weber that seemed kind of beat up & had some sort of weird triangular pan attaching the 3 legs together instead of the wire triangle.  I didn't even bother to walk over & take a closer look because I figured the triangular pan was someone's homemade attempt to rig it after breaking the wire triangle.  Based on the type of flea market, it would have been dirt cheap.
regards,
Hal

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 02:18:57 PM »
I've never cooked a "fatty."
I don't find cleaning kettles "therapeutic."
I'll finish stuff in the oven that I started on the grill.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 02:25:08 PM »
But, I've been on here about 1.25 years. Sometime within the last several years before that, I noticed a flea market Weber that seemed kind of beat up & had some sort of weird triangular pan attaching the 3 legs together instead of the wire triangle.  I didn't even bother to walk over & take a closer look because I figured the triangular pan was someone's homemade attempt to rig it after breaking the wire triangle.  Based on the type of flea market, it would have been dirt cheap.

Not laughing at all, I do have a question for you about the grill. Was the flea market in Rosemont? I had someone tell me about one a while back and by the time I got there it was closed. Could it be the same? Damn leprechauns you can never catch them.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 02:43:28 PM »
Well we are all spilling our dirty laundry. I guess I’ll give a few...

Never smoked a brisket 🤬
I’ve used lighter fluid a long long time ago 😢
I’m currently using a Red 1993 “P” MasterTouch as a burn pit 🤫. God help me
I need to post more cooks 😎

Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grillfella Confessions
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 03:09:00 PM »
The steel wheel avocado I picked up 4 weeks ago is still in my car [emoji55] I did move it from my leaky trunk to the back seat, buckled up of course

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 05:50:09 PM »
I’ve never done a fatty (the Kettle kind).

With two little kids I contemplate trying to score a Gas GA or Q for quick cooks.

I too don’t count cleaning kettles as therapy. I do have some I’d like to restore but it honestly won’t be anytime soon.

I never cooked on my Gray I traded to Joe, glad to see him using it.

My weathered warrior has blown over twice this winter due to high wind.

I have what I consider a good collection, I think I’m at 16-17 and all vintage. I mostly use the same 3 grills for my cooks.

My collection does have an end state and I’m close to it. I’m kind of looking forward to the end of my hunting. It’s pretty tiring checking all the seller sites, estate sales....The ones that are left on the list will take a long time to find.

I’ve never cooked on an open camp fire.

I’m excited to cook on the Chief while also dreading getting it dirty.  Same for my Yachtsman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 06:23:04 PM »
I'm NOT 100% positive it was Rosemont, but I believe it was Rosemont.  The seller clearly was not one of the "antique & collectable" types so it probably would have been dirt cheap.  It is possible it was 42nd & Ashland because I also went there a lot at the time, but I believe it was Rosemont. 

Not laughing at all, I do have a question for you about the grill. Was the flea market in Rosemont? I had someone tell me about one a while back and by the time I got there it was closed. Could it be the same? Damn leprechauns you can never catch them.
regards,
Hal

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 06:46:20 PM »
I burn myself almost every cook.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

cajunrph

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 07:11:44 PM »
I haven't cooked a brisket, ribs or pork butt on my Weber. I've done them all on other cookers. I guess my dirty little secret is I've spent more on two accessories that individually cost as much as the grill itself. SnS and an Art Flame insert.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 12:14:10 AM »
I'm not quite certain how many kettles I own. 
regards,
Hal

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 02:38:39 AM »
I don't clean my kettles as often as I should
I don't use them as often as I should
I own 5 kettles, but usually cook on the same one
I cook with beer, but I don't drink it
I need new underwear :-)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 05:54:48 AM »
I’m sick of brisket and pulled pork at the moment and smoke in general.

I’ve been eliminating smoke on many things.

I still like some mild smoke on ribs and abt’s.

I’ll come back around I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app