Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Recommend a floor mat or pad please. I damaged 3 or 4 deck composite boards.  (Read 6822 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
I've been using lump charcoal and it seems I'll have to stop until I can control burning chunks. Or move it to the front yard and prove I'm actually a redneck after all.

I didn't see it happen, so I can't say if something fell from the bottom (I don't have an ash can ...) or if it happened while dumping the chimney into the grill or something else.

I don't think one of those cute little round ones are gonna be sufficient. One was a good foot or two beyond the circumference of my 22.5" grill.

If it's cheap I don't mind occasionally melting the mat but if it's expensive I want it flameproof. Doesn't have to be specifically made for use under a grill, but weatherproof or whatever would be a plus. Something that doesn't then turn the deck surface to mold underneath would be a good idea, too.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bman

• WKC Performer
Hmmmm, that's a tough one.  A 4X8 sheet of treated plywood would be the easiest & cheapest, but probably the ugliest.  My suggestion, other than adding a gas assist performer, is the 12"X12" ceramic times at Home Depot/Lowes.  Simply lay down as many as you want and stack em up when you want.   They always have them in the $.99 range so it wouldn't break the bank.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
My Walmart has a thin aluminum sheet of metal in the automotive department.  It's supposed to be used for oil changes under the car. It's almost perfectly made for a performer, I use it to protect my wood deck.

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=9C90F31904085BDE2F52FE561FD1704E#ip/ATP-Extra-Large-Oil-Drip-Pan/16778234?type=shop-by-department

Hopefully the link works. It's 11.97 at my store. Hope you find something that works for you!
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
I have a couple round ones of these, as well as a rectangular one. Not cheap, but, neither is an insurance claim.  :-[
All my cookers come into the garage for the winter. Take the mats in, too. Hopefully they'll last awhile.  :) On my 2nd season.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Bman

• WKC Performer
I should have added --- I didn't recommend the oil drip pan because its only 2'X4' and the OP is looking for something larger.  For catching grease/drips, yes, it's great.  Just isn't very big if he's looking to protect a fair amount of real estate from the lump pieces.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Sucks to be poor. There's this near me (Performer w/ gas assist) but I can't come near what he wants even though it seems like a great deal. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/hsh/3839184250.html

Amyhoo, what's odd about the regular mats is that you're mostly paying for area directly underneath you don't really need. On the other hand I don't want a huge tarp; I'm not that much of a klutz with the sparks.

The plywood sheet (maybe with something put on it to make it look prettier) and drip pan are both interesting ideas.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Bman I didn't think about how far lump travels. Haven't used it yet so I was thinking about charcoal. It makes sense to have something bigger on the ground if it travels farther. You'll find something to use I'm sure that will protect the deck.
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

• WKC Brave
When I was hosing off the deck this morning I found a dime size burn mark. I was thinking of finding a solution myself short of pouring a separate concrete slab for my cook area. May have to look into some of these ideas.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
I bet there are 20 dime size burn marks around Mesa Azul, and my #1.  Goes with the territory.  The only problem with those grill mats is that it turns the composite decking all black underneath that needs to be scrubbed off...unless it is just the composite decking I use.  Plus that lump falls through the chimney starter much more than the other kinds of charcoal.  All those tiny pieces fall through...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
I put some expanded mesh in my chimney starter to stop any small bits falling through
Like this
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

HankB

• WKC Performer
I'm a huge fan of keeping grills far enough away from wood decks so that one mistake/accident does not result in a personal disaster.  :o

That's my recommendation and I'm sticking with it!
kettles, smokers...

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
What about some of the bigger patio or walkway bricks?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Hogsy I like that idea. In my short time with the chimney I've noticed it works better for briquets, less so for lump for the reasons you mention.

re: bricks et al
I'm still figuring out where to put all this equipment. My upper deck is a covered, screened-in porch, so that's out. Then there's a small outside area that leads down some stairs to a much larger deck. This upper part where the stairs begin has a small landing and that's where the action's been since it's closest to the kitchen.

But I've moved everything down to the lower deck. More walking up/down stairs, or downstairs through basement to get to the BBQ, but that's all I can do unless I grill in the front driveway.