Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WKC confessions  (Read 5769 times)

Cellar2ful

Re: WKC confessions
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2018, 03:29:53 PM »

My house is kind of centrally located to a lot of the Northern California WKC members.  Kettles have a tendency to be dropped off at my house, awaiting transportation by the Nor Cal Weber Express. That's what we call it whenever a member is heading to a specific area and is willing to help by transporting a kettle. My OCD usually kicks in and I end up detailing (steel wool) the exterior of the lids and bowls while the kettle sits at my house.   Can't have someone seeing their "new to them" kettle filthy the first time.  One is being picked up tomorrow morning as a matter of fact.   I even steel wooled the wood handle and put a couple coats of Tung oil on the wood.  She's looking pretty now (on the outside).  Plenty left for the new owner to do.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »
Funny stuff here!

Let's see:

1. I once bought a Holland grill (years ago). What was I thinking?

2. About two years ago I restored a red SSP to near-mint condition, including getting the tank refilled, but haven't had the heart to use it.

3. I bought a used 22 WSM a couple of years ago and cleaned it to showroom condition, but haven't used it, because I don't feel like messing it up.

4. I once had a turkey on the kettle rotisserie. After checking it, I forgot to put the lid back on. When I returned, it was a fireball.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2018, 04:20:31 AM »
This is a bad one and I feel ashamed.

Tonight is my first time making chicken wings. Wish me luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did they turn out?
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2018, 05:49:04 AM »
A second ago I just dropped the lid from one of my OTPs... Fcuk ..

JayyyR

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2018, 01:10:32 PM »

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2018, 01:12:50 PM »
Thnx, now I'm better [emoji23]

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »
This is a bad one and I feel ashamed.

Tonight is my first time making chicken wings. Wish me luck.

How did they turn out?

Well Dan, the plan changed.  We bought a pack of wings and a pack of drummies and the wife wanted drumsticks. I put the wings in the freezer and will probably do them next weekend. I’ve been told to dry brine them.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2018, 08:33:16 PM »
... I hadn't really cooked on an otg before I rebuilt the p code coppermist mt. I love it as my daily driver and  I now understand some disdain for the daisy wheelers. I think mine will see random rotation but my mt and ssp build will see a lot more of the action.... them old grills can oversee and judge youngsters all they want, just don't give me a taco handle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2018, 09:02:30 PM »

My house is kind of centrally located to a lot of the Northern California WKC members.  Kettles have a tendency to be dropped off at my house, awaiting transportation by the Nor Cal Weber Express. That's what we call it whenever a member is heading to a specific area and is willing to help by transporting a kettle. My OCD usually kicks in and I end up detailing (steel wool) the exterior of the lids and bowls while the kettle sits at my house.   Can't have someone seeing their "new to them" kettle filthy the first time.  One is being picked up tomorrow morning as a matter of fact.   I even steel wooled the wood handle and put a couple coats of Tung oil on the wood.  She's looking pretty now (on the outside).  Plenty left for the new owner to do.
... thanks for the love you put to the lime while under you care!

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »
78’ MBH lime, still in pieces. In my defense... I have stuff that is more rare, that I do cook on.
... interested in moving it along? 78 is my birthyear and I don't have a lime.

@inkaddictedchef1 just be patient. hint hint,  ;) ;)8)

I don't like MBH's. I usually just give them away. Yes, even the rare and colorful ones.
... thanks again for the lime!

Chewabacca

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2018, 10:54:25 AM »
I started with a Home-Depot charcoal thang, it was kind of square, and had a lid and slides on the front and back, but my didn't come with a slide on the back, it was just open holes...I later looked at the other ones in the store and realized it was a defect, so I use to put aluminum foil to block the holes and move it when I needed to, to allow air in....it's GONE, I now am a proud owner of a Weber Kettle and WSM...no turning back now

Chewabacca

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2018, 06:27:15 AM »
Yes, I saw someones post...I too was a Charcoal Liquid Starter Fluid user, but I bought a 5,00 dollar chiminey from Wally-World, and what a dif! In Taste...LOL, One of my boys bought me charcoal, all you have to do is light it, and....pooof you got hot coals....wow, what a horrible taste, I use them now to start the fire pit for late night fires...

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2018, 07:22:30 AM »
I found a Sequoia.  The wood cart was painted over, the original bowl (and probably lid) was replaced with a brownie with handles, the hooks to hold the lid were broken off, & it had wheels with more of an "off-road" sort of tread pattern than I saw on pictures of other ones, plus the wheels were missing the white stripe others have.  Someone questioned whether the cart might be an original red one, instead of brown. So I planned on inspecting it carefully over the weekend to figure it out.  But, I have a wife & two toddlers, plus I began wondering if the wheels were replaced & where I might find the "correct wheels".  I'm also trying to find some good pictures from a couple angles of the hooks that are broken off to see if one day I can duplicate the originals (I'll go with something else until then).  An additional problem is the hardware varies over time, so I'm trying to get photos from someone with hardware identical to mine.

In any event, I still have not done anything more than glance at the cart.

But, I did wind up acquiring a older 26" that has the exact same wheels.  (At least I solved one thing!).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:27:33 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2018, 08:05:22 AM »
Although I've mentioned it within another thread, I'll mention it here as it is appropriate.

I've liked Webers since I was a kid & only joined this place last fall after finding my 2nd offset handle SJ.  I only purchased it because the first one I found was still in the battered box & I probably would have assumed it was a well-built interesting knockoff if the battered box wasn't with it.  Probably only 2-3 years ago, I was at a flea market & saw a somewhat battered Weber.  Based on the particular flea market, it probably would have been dirt cheap, but it wasn't in that great of shape, appeared to be missing the ashpan & wire triangle & some weirdo had fashioned some sort of messed up triangular pan to the legs, so I didn't even bother walking over to take a closer look.  If I had, I might have noticed the triangular pan was just too professionally made to be home-made & too much the right size to some sort of rigged found replacement. 

After getting on here, I was reading the age guide and finally realized what I had seen.  I could have had a 1950's Weber from before the circular ashpans that came about in 1959 or 1960.  Mostly likely, for a song.  Still kind of kickin myself.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:53:02 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2018, 03:09:55 PM »
I secretly pine for a kettle that is not black.......but crimson.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;