Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Routine  (Read 3140 times)

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Routine
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 06:11:38 PM »
being a newbie and on the near same page as Mike Huff and not yet with a grill routine set, I am wondering how clean is enough? After a grill on my very new weber 22", it occurs to me that I might be behaving a bit too much over the top about the cleaning of the grill and kettle and lid. What is the cleaning routine after a grill? Cheers.

You mean I'm supposed to clean the damn things?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 06:41:29 PM »
If I don’t cover my grills I’m usually cleaning bird shit off the lids a couple times per week. It really pisses me off too. My neighbor is an old man with a pristine property with bird baths and feeders.  I usually do a quick scrape of my bowls about once per month but my coolers aren’t ever clean like my lookers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate bird shit on the lid!!  I usually don’t get it too often but I had to clean the 26er lid just the other night.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
"My neighbor is an old man..." lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Didn’t mean to offend or sound like an ass. I absolute do respect my elders and my neighbor as well. It’s just that all he has to do these days is keep up his property. I just wish he let the birds fend for themselves out in nature instead of feeding them next to my grills and cars.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 04:55:09 PM »
If I don’t cover my grills I’m usually cleaning bird shit off the lids a couple times per week. It really pisses me off too. My neighbor is an old man with a pristine property with bird baths and feeders.  I usually do a quick scrape of my bowls about once per month but my coolers aren’t ever clean like my lookers.

I hate bird shit on the lid!!  I usually don’t get it too often but I had to clean the 26er lid just the other night.

"My neighbor is an old man..." lol

Didn’t mean to offend or sound like an ass. I absolute do respect my elders and my neighbor as well. It’s just that all he has to do these days is keep up his property. I just wish he let the birds fend for themselves out in nature instead of feeding them next to my grills and cars.

I know you didn't mean it like that...Just struck me funny! Should've kept my chuckle to myself

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 05:57:56 PM »
All good man. I feel terrible being his neighbor but I just don’t have the time to keep up with him.

He also cooks on an 18” Weber Kettle in his driveway.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 07:08:30 AM »
Pretty much the same here with a touch of OCD...My coals always go on the east side of my grill...I tried the west side a time or two and ended up turning the grill around so things felt right...OCD rules...
Ha!  I’m a west side coal guy.  I use my left hand to take the lid off to hang.  I use my right for utensils. 

I second this!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

@SMOKE FREAK

@michaelmilitello

@Joshua_423

.....you guys will want to know this:

if you chain (ring of fire) charcoal for pork butt, brisket or other large pieces, burn the coals counter-clockwise for pork, clockwise for beef.....
.....lamb, poultry, etc. is cooker's choice.........

Pork setup....lite at right:

But, if you do beef, lite like so & it will come out like this:

Every time I disavow the prime directive of clockwise for beef, etc., it comes out not as good...... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 07:36:20 AM »
Trust @1buckie he knows his shit.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 07:45:48 AM »
Trust @1buckie he knows his shit.
just what I was thinking, but it is opposite if you are south of the Equator right?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Joshua_423

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 09:48:53 AM »
[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
So THAT'S why my chuck roast tasted left handed!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2018, 10:57:59 AM »
When I read the title, I thought it said "Poutine"

Damn! I must be Canadian!!!!   Shit, now I want Poutine!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 11:31:05 AM »

I googled poutine. Sounds weird and unappetizing to this American but I would definitely try it.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2018, 11:31:18 AM »
I've always been a gadget guy so although it may be routine for that particular cook, it's not necessarily the same routine for a different cooker.  I usually have 3-4 grills in regular rotation and another 4 in the garage that rotate in an out of active use.  Like most of you, I also use various baskets and dividers, kettle pizza, vortex, SnS, etc...depending on what I am doing.

That being said, I've been in all of them enough that I probably have some sort of routine.  I'd say a good general answer would be sweep/dump ash from last time.  Assemble whatever configuration I am using, light it and go set the meat out.  Replace the grate(s) and give them a good brushing once they are hot.  Meats are prepped beforehand so they just need to come out to knock the chill off.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 11:33:54 AM »
Doing exactly the same @HoosierKettle. I have one beater which is simply my first choice cooker and I really don't care whether the porcelain get damaged or not.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 11:37:56 AM »

Doing exactly the same @HoosierKettle. I have one beater which is simply my first choice cooker and I really don't care whether the porcelain get damaged or not.

If it’s a black kettle you shouldn’t have anything to worry about. I’ve been abusing my black grills for 10+ years and I don’t see any heat damage yet.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2018, 03:45:48 AM »

Haven't had breakfast yet, now I want poutine!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.