Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Routine  (Read 3138 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Routine
« on: June 29, 2018, 06:24:10 AM »
Everyone has one. What’s yours?

I grill several nights a week and this is the same routine I use for 90% of my cooks for several years now. It’s really easy and allows a lot of flexibility.

I give the old coal a stir and light 1/2 chimney new coal and add it on top of used. For lower temp cooks I put the lid on before the entire pile ignites. Hotter cooks I let the fire get going better before cooking. The pile itself can be adjusted by spreading out some or pushing it tight to the back. I use an old spatula as a rake. You can create graduated heat from front to back.

This method may not be advisable for old colored kettles but it doesn’t seem to hurt modern black kettles at all so no fear of grill damage imo.

Anyways just thought I’d share one of many different ways. Maybe helpful to new people. Maybe not.

And the best part is no accessories whatsoever required except a Weber charcoal chimney.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Routine
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 06:28:48 AM »
Pretty much the same as you @HoosierKettle except I always use a basket or my SnS in my non black kettles.  Some nights it's just steak or chicken for salads so I use the mini chimney and fire up the CGA.  The CGA is the best little fuel saver grill out there, very little charcoal needed to cook up some burgers, steaks, or chicken.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 10:43:24 AM »
I just use a touch of match light, then regular charcoal on top. Normally do inderict, with whatever I'm grilling in the middle. Tri tip, Chuck roast, ribs, whole chickens, prime rib roast, pork butt roast...coal on both sides, drip pan in the middle. Usually soaked hickory chips...use gasser for steak and fish, burgers and dogs, cedar planks for fish. Starting to use wood chunks again.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 11:09:24 AM »
I do the same thing, with or without the SNS. did not use that routine previous to getting the SNS, I thought this should work as well without it, now it is routine
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »
I'm an accessory freak so i always have 4 grills in regular rotation that have different accessories  with different shapes or sizes of charcoal holders.  They're more or less set up as an especialized cookers as i don't like to keep swapping accessories from grill to another that often. Rotation will depend on the item being cooked at that given time. Somewhat helps me  in deciding which grill is up for duty. And yeah i fire up a grill at least 6 times a week, before and after work so it can be up to 10 times.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »
I haven't quite got a habit down just yet, other than grilling about twice a week, and committing to charcoal since finding the WBC.  I've picked up some much appreciated tips and advice here, along with some really cool recipes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 05:17:51 PM »
Pretty much the same here with a touch of OCD...My coals always go on the east side of my grill...I tried the west side a time or two and ended up turning the grill around so things felt right...OCD rules...

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 06:46:21 PM »
Pretty much the same here with a touch of OCD...My coals always go on the east side of my grill...I tried the west side a time or two and ended up turning the grill around so things felt right...OCD rules...
Ha!  I’m a west side coal guy.  I use my left hand to take the lid off to hang.  I use my right for utensils. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 07:06:23 AM »
I haven't quite got a habit down just yet, other than grilling about twice a week, and committing to charcoal since finding the WBC.  I've picked up some much appreciated tips and advice here, along with some really cool recipes.

*WKC...doh!!

Publicknitter

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 08:35:14 AM »
being a newbie and on the near same page as Mike Huff and not yet with a grill routine set, I am wondering how clean is enough? After a grill on my very new weber 22", it occurs to me that I might be behaving a bit too much over the top about the cleaning of the grill and kettle and lid. What is the cleaning routine after a grill? Cheers.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »

being a newbie and on the near same page as Mike Huff and not yet with a grill routine set, I am wondering how clean is enough? After a grill on my very new weber 22", it occurs to me that I might be behaving a bit too much over the top about the cleaning of the grill and kettle and lid. What is the cleaning routine after a grill? Cheers.

I don’t do any cleaning at all aside from giving the cooking grate a scrape.

Occasionally I’ll shine up the outside of the lid if I’m having people over.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 09:35:19 AM »
If I don’t cover my grills I’m usually cleaning bird shit off the lids a couple times per week. It really pisses me off too. My neighbor is an old man with a pristine property with bird baths and feeders.  I usually do a quick scrape of my bowls about once per month but my coolers aren’t ever clean like my lookers.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Routine
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »
If I don’t cover my grills I’m usually cleaning bird shit off the lids a couple times per week. It really pisses me off too. My neighbor is an old man with a pristine property with bird baths and feeders.  I usually do a quick scrape of my bowls about once per month but my coolers aren’t ever clean like my lookers.

I hate bird shit on the lid!!  I usually don’t get it too often but I had to clean the 26er lid just the other night.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 05:00:41 PM »

I hate bird shit on the lid!!  I usually don’t get it too often but I had to clean the 26er lid just the other night.

"My neighbor is an old man..." lol

Joshua_423

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 05:10:30 PM »
Ha!  I’m a west side coal guy.  I use my left hand to take the lid off to hang.  I use my right for utensils. 

I second this!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app