Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sharpening stud screw end  (Read 3453 times)

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
Sharpening stud screw end
« on: June 07, 2018, 04:51:12 AM »
What is the simplest tool to sharpen one end of these Double End Threaded Stud Screw Bolt https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0LNIPT/ using a drill or dremel ?  I want to use them as skewers. 
Bert

northernQ

• Smokey Joe
Re: Sharpening stud screw end
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 05:16:18 AM »
Why not just buy metal skewers?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 05:20:06 AM »
Personally .. I would recommend a 4” electric grinder! You will find more uses for this tool later also.
Harbor Fright or someone should have a cheap one that is fine for what you are doing. Get 2 types of wheels for it also. One real thin cut-off wheel and a grinding stone type or the newer flap wheel / sandpaper type.
Oh... and a GOOD set of safety glasses!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:22:13 AM by vwengguy »

mtneer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 05:47:07 AM »
I think a grinder would be best or a file.  I suppose you could use a dremel and a cut-off disk to knock the edges off.  To do it faster you could put those screws in the drill and use some sand paper stapled to a block of wood, though I don't know how well the sand paper would hold up, a grinding stone would be better, but that would get you a pencil type sharpness...whatever you choose, just be careful and wear safety glasses.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 06:26:06 AM »

Personally .. I would recommend a 4” electric grinder! You will find more uses for this tool later also.
Harbor Fright or someone should have a cheap one that is fine for what you are doing. Get 2 types of wheels for it also. One real thin cut-off wheel and a grinding stone type or the newer flap wheel / sandpaper type.
Oh... and a GOOD set of safety glasses!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

I agree. I bought one of these 15 years ago for $30 dollars and I have used it on countless projects. A great tool to have on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 06:52:54 AM »
Angle grinder with proper attachments is one of the most useful tool around the house. Only tool along with a drill, wrench, screwdriver and rotary tool that i use for all of my grill mods.
Good  sander flap disc is a must. It last forever and eventually turn less aggressive and acts as a higher grit sander.
PFERD 67258 Polifan PFR Curve Radial Type Flap Disc, Ceramic Oxide, 4-1/2" Diameter, 5/8-11 Thread, 13300 rpm, 60 Grit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005YSY3VA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JnugBbQ24GASP
Table mount is indispensable also.
Klutch Angle Grinder Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BUSL7A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wpugBbD1T8WHA

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 08:19:23 AM »
Oh man I was searching angle grinder holders/mounts and never saw one like that. Thanks Jules!

My $40 Craftsman earned it place the very first time I used it years ago ... to cut through a seized shock mount. There was no "just us a torch" gonna happen there, and I was thisclose to considering buying a junkyard rear control arm (unnecessarily broadening the project ... ) to avoid having to deal with the shock mount.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 08:53:14 AM »
I have a couple bench grinders with stones.. They could do the job in a few minutes. If I didn't have them, my next check would be a hand held grinder with the piece you are working on held in a vice.

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 11:25:33 AM »
Thank you all,  I ordered the Flap Disc  recommended by Jules and this angle grinder https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036WBGI4

Why not just buy metal skewers?

I want to replace the 3 screws (Item 4) shown below on my Mighty Pizza Stone heat diffuser with three studs and use them as shawarma vertical skewers. I am not sure how well this setup will work, but it will be an easy mod to try once I have the right tool.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 12:17:17 PM by BertVentures »
Bert

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 02:03:34 PM »
Oh man I was searching angle grinder holders/mounts and never saw one like that. Thanks Jules!
Great stuff especially for the price. Some of them  cost well over $100. Having a couple of grinders is preferred here as removing it from the mount can be a hassle.   

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 03:06:49 PM »

I want to replace the 3 screws (Item 4) shown below on my Mighty Pizza Stone heat diffuser with three studs and use them as shawarma vertical skewers. I am not sure how well this setup will work, but it will be an easy mod to try once I have the right tool.
Speaking of shawarma, I'm currently working on one myself. Here's the progress so far.

Charcoal configuration.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:18:44 PM by Jules V. »

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 03:21:48 AM »

Speaking of shawarma, I'm currently working on one myself. Here's the progress so far.

Nice work...You can feed an army with that setup... I am curious, where did you get the parts for the skewer assembly.
Bert

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 06:15:08 AM »
Those were recycled parts that originally came with the caliente stackers. It's a rod that was originally used to hold the cable to raise/lower the charcoal grate. Made a 12" for a single stacker and 16" for larger capacity using both stackers.  It  worked out great since the rods have inside threads for a bolt to be attached.

That's the rod in question. Also used the bottom ring for the hanging rack.

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 07:13:50 AM »
@Jules V. Thank you for sharing.

I got my stud screws this morning, I have two potential setups with MPS:

1-   The pan sits on top of the stone on my Performer cooking grate, I like this setup better, the heat is diffused and distributed by the pizza stone.

2-   The pan sits on top of charcoal grates using MPS extension legs, and the stone could sits on top of the skewers to store and radiate heat from the top.

I used my rotery tool sander to sharpen the ends enough till I get  my Flap Disc  and angle grinder

Excited to try it try it out...
Bert

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 08:01:38 AM »
I'm sure it would work fine either way.  With a wider diffuser, the top portion will get get cooked much sooner.

I will probably using this configuration for most  cooks. Small inverted diffuser.  Rod is permanently attached and serves as the base for easier clean up and portability.

Double diffuser with the larger pan in a concave position.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:11:52 AM by Jules V. »