Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What hooks WSM hanging rack  (Read 2694 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
What hooks WSM hanging rack
« on: June 03, 2018, 09:17:39 PM »
i recently picked up a Weber 7472 hanging rack for my WSM.

What hooks work best for hanging meat, ribs, birds, etc?

I’ve heard these two recommended. Which is best is is there something better to consider?  Anything to avoid?

These are the two I think I am choosing between.  Will both or either of these work with the Weber accessory?:

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/product/stainless-steel-meat-hooks-set-4/

https://www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/Extra-Hooks-p/hooks.htm

Are there other hooks etc. worth getting?  The PBC vertical skewers look interesting. Useful?

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/product/pbc-skewer-value-pack/

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: What hooks WSM hanging rack
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 09:43:20 PM »
You're fine with either the PBC or Gateway hooks...same size; same concept.

I got the PBC back when they only sold them in the 8 packs. Gateway is a better deal currently (2 more hooks at the same price as PBC 4 pack).

The vertical skewers hang "on" the hooks ;) Get the hooks and decide what you want to put on a skewer later.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 09:45:05 PM »
Thanks for the  links. On the market for hooks myself. Might try the vertical hooks.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »
Before I got my Hunsaker and Gateway hangers and was using the Weber rack I just made my own from steel skewers.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 04:01:26 PM »
Top to bottom:

Hunsaker Smokers hooks

Gateway Drum Smokers hooks

swamprb Left Hand Smoke hooks

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 05:09:14 PM »
I might just try to find some ss rods and shape it to different lengths and style to suit my needs.

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 02:41:40 PM »
Also note that you can daisy-chain two small hooks together to provide added support if needed.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 03:13:32 PM »
Converted some horizontal skewers into vertical/hanging skewers.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 07:09:33 PM »
I ended up ordering some new PBC hooks for my Weber hanger and then ordered a GDS hanger.  I didn't open the PBC hooks.  Will try next time I use the Weber hanger, although I expect the unused GDS hanger is going to be the only one I use.  I used the Weber for the first time; I didn't like how the bars slide back and forth.  Am looking fwd to the fixed bars of the GDS.

I think the PBC hooks would work better with the Weber hanger; the crossbar hook has a nice radius that would fit nicely and easily over the weber round bar. 

OTOH, the GDS with the sharper bend seem to work fine, I expect they will work better with the rod style GDS hanger. 

The PBC are a little longer in both directions, but the angle of the meat hook looks similar. 

The GDS hooks end up costing quite a bit more when purchased direct.  The GDS shipping is $20 more to my postcode.  They are available elsewhere for a bigger price, but cheaper shipping.  The PBC has 4 and 8 packs with friee shipping over $25.  They've got some other nice hanging accessories, that make it easy to get above $25.  I picked up some vertical skewers.  They also have nice looking baskets and corn and dog holders.

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/accessories-and-gear/

Some picks comparing the GDS hooks to the PBC hooks, PBC hooks in the package:

GDS Hook
2019-02-23-16.42.41.jpg" border="0

PBC Hook
2019-02-23-16.47.56.jpg" border="0

2019-02-23-18.36.45.jpg" border="0

2019-02-23-16.45.44.jpg" border="0

2019-02-23-18.37.08.jpg" border="0

2019-02-23-18.37.34.jpg" border="0

My first WSM 22" and first hanging cook with the Weber hanger and GDS hooks.
2019-02-02-17.23.31.jpg" border="0

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:17:37 PM by ClubChapin »

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 07:09:58 PM »
I didn't like how the bars slide back and forth.  Am looking fwd to the fixed bars of the GDS.

I use bulldog clips/large folding paper clips to stop the bars moving about on the Weber rack & it works a treat.

I also have the hanging skewers, but being in the UK shipping starts getting costly, I subsequently purchased the below (come in two differing lengths) and drilled a hole for hanging purposes and they work great and are fairly sturdy.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Barbecue-Stainless-Grilling-Skewers/dp/B0007ZGULG