Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken BBQ  (Read 1087 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Chicken BBQ
« on: June 01, 2018, 06:16:51 PM »
I was talking with some friends and we all agreed we felt like having some chicken for comfort food. So I got a package of two fryer chickens on the way home and put Weber Honey Garlic rub on them.

This is the first time I've done two chickens on the rotisserie. I also made my usual roast potatoes and not shown were some carrots that finished up after everything else.

Then we relaxed and ate around the fire pit with the game on the radio. I also got some leg pulling about that monster Ranch sitting next to the performer with the rotisserie...but we're talking about doing a roast suckling pig in it soon...  What a nice way to break in the month of June!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Re: Chicken BBQ
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »
Ok, this is neat!  From my back yard, we can hear bits and pieces of the game from the stadium, which is only a couple miles from here, when the wind is still, then slightly delayed over the radio.

This is what summer nights are made for...

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:22:13 PM »
Oh man, that looks awesome! So the chicken drippings go down into the potato pan?

-Jed
-Jed

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 10:25:14 PM »
Perfect cook brother. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 04:36:27 AM »
Sounds like a good time!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »
Oh man, that looks awesome! So the chicken drippings go down into the potato pan?

-Jed

Yes.  I pre-boil the potatoes after cutting them up. Those were small red potatoes that I had quartered.  I usually put some butter in along with ththe seasonings because sometimes the chickens don't drip much and you otherwise end up with dried out potatoes.  You do need to be careful of your temperatures though if you do this.  The barbecue has to remain hot enough though the end of the cook to make sure the potatoes stay above the safe temperature for chicken as well as the bird(s) themselves because they're covered in the chicken drippings.

Sounds like a good time!

Perfect cook brother. [emoji106][emoji106]

Thanks guys!  We had a great evening yesterday.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 09:40:23 AM »
Rotisserie chickens looks great! The only way to do a whole chicken imo.  Looking forward to your Ranch cook.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »
... The barbecue has to remain hot enough though the end of the cook to make sure the potatoes stay above the safe temperature for chicken as well as the bird(s) themselves because they're covered in the chicken drippings. ...

Another option (such as with "drip" beans under some pork ...) is to put them in after the meat has had a reasonable head start. This lessens the amount of uncooked grease hitting the veggies, and after that, the only drippings coming down are cooked drippings. The heat of the grill shouldn't realistically be a problem there.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 04:24:21 PM »
That's a nice cook. I'd eat that any day of the week.

Congrats on the ranch.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Chicken BBQ
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 11:17:07 AM »
That's a nice cook. I'd eat that any day of the week.

Congrats on the ranch.

Thanks!  It was a nice dinner. There was a lot of leftover chicken. I had two full meals and I used the last bits in a serious omelette this morning with ham and cheddar and mushrooms.

I definitely took some flack for the ranch for a moment or two and then the conversation quickly turned to what we could cook on it...  plans for a first firing are still getting pinned down...