Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Food fast: When you have a need for speed  (Read 1761 times)

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Food fast: When you have a need for speed
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 10:00:59 AM »
Starting to feel like 20 mins is a "food fast" threshold, and making use of a previous cook certainly is a smart move, so you qualify @HoosierKettle .  But like @CarrieAnn says, prep doesn't always count if you prep ahead. I prep-ahead too when I can, and almost always cook for leftovers too. That's smart too.

This thread is giving me more ideas for how to make use the the sad little grill area at my apartment during the week, where I don't want to spend any more time than I have to. For now, I have to go prep tomorrow's meal, meaning I have to make a rhubarb pie tonight.
Retired

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »
Omg! Rhubarb pie! My aunt used to make rhubarb crunch, kinda like peach cobbler, just with rhubarb. Been many, many moons since I've had rhubarb anything.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Food fast: When you have a need for speed
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 09:15:48 PM »
A few good tips here...pounding meat or slicing it smaller is one side/hotter fire is the other.

Outside of burgers and dogs, I’d say skirt steak carne asada or marinated thinly sliced chicken breasts are the fastest. I also cook them to color (after much practice).

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 11:12:14 PM »
Carne Asada from like ranch market, or a good carnecirea market, already marinated. Maybe 5 minutes. Super good.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
This for me too. I use a dedicated kettle that always has leftover lump in it. All on the "back side" of the kettle.

Light a chimney of new lump, throw it on top of the carryover lump on the "coal" side. Place foil-wrapped tortillas in the basement away from the coals. Put on the Weber wok (the 8412 that was discontinued, but still can probably be found on Ebay). The entire wok heats up, one side is just more hot. Add some oil, add two pounds of meat. Cook. Under ten minutes cook time.

When cooked, remove meat, immediately remove wok (it starts smoking as soon as the food is removed) and land on the grate of an unused kettle. I assume most of you have an unused kettle. Pull the tortilla pack. Done.

Well, not done. You still need to eat and shut everything down and clean up.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 04:59:09 AM »
^^ I also look for ways to get into a rhythm like that. ^^
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 05:46:52 PM »
Regarding marinades, thawed stuff already prepped and other do-ahead tasks, you all have probably come across many recipes where most of the “cook” is browning meat, adding stuff, and then warming or melting it all together for a short time.

This is one of those: basically these kinds of things are casseroles. http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2012/09/simple-mexican-lasagna.html?m=1

I forgot the corn and the cilantro, but since I made a double batch and freezed one for later, maybe I’ll remember to add them. It was a hit.

Forgot to mention, I used ground chicken instead of beef. Used corn tortillas, doubling them up since I figured singles would just about dissolve in the goo. It worked; they stayed together well enough to slice through.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:49:44 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch