Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Redheads & Cadmium - Is It Safe?  (Read 4888 times)

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

• WKC Brave
Redheads & Cadmium - Is It Safe?
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:59:16 PM »
I've been looking around to get some more info on the whole redhead and cadmium thing. I read that it's an EPA/environmental issue and that Weber also quit using it when they let a contract lapse with a company that was disposing of the bi-products?

What I'm trying to confirm is if the redheads are safe to cook on and why?  It'd be nice to know I'm not killing my family everytime I fire the grill up.

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Redheads & Cadmium - Is It Safe?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:40:30 AM »
If they were not safe, Weber would be required to buy them back.

The issue was pollution produced during manufacture.
kettles, smokers...

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:40:20 AM »
I thought it was a OSHA workers safety thing. Something about permissable exposure limits in a 10 hour work day 40 hour work week to the cadmium fume / dust present in the porcelain paint in the manufacturing process.

But I don't quite know, just something I thought I heard several years ago.

#grubdubs

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »
I have tried to find info on this but I feel alright cooking on the redheads for these reasons:

-The food isn't directly on the red surface. There also isn't any red pigment inside the kettle.
-The dust is harmful but it's sealed in the porcelain. The red  kettles are older so in theory they don't release as much as a new one might.

Unfortunately there hasn't been anything too substantial on cadmium release for food. There have been studies for lead crystal which is not worth the exposure in my opinion.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:54:35 AM »
Oh geez... Both the old Weber kettles & Fiestaware had cadmium in their glazes. Personally, I wouldn't sweat it, but some people really do. We have a radiation detecting device called a Radlamp that my uncle invented. I should see if it trips on my '88 redhead.

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:02:40 AM »
I would worry.... If you were planning on eating your entire grill. but then I'd guess you might have other things to worry about.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »

I haven't read or researched this anywhere, but.......I'd betcha a nickel or some cadmium.......

Being from the land of rules & regulations leads me to guess that it may have also had something to do with the "possibility" of degradation in the landfill.......

If they would only pay attention to what we're doing HERE.....there wouldn't BE any Redheads in the landfill to then "possibly" cause a problem......

The problem is when the cadmium is broken down to a small enough increment to enter the body & pile up in the tissues along with other problematic heavy metals......lead is the most noteworthy, as it's been used probably the longest in manufacturing.....

I asked a doctor once about screening for heavy metals & he told me lead is not a hard one, there's a standard testing, but all the other ones I'd have to get him the MSDS sheets for the chemicals & inks that I worked around so they had some idea as to what to look for.......

really wouldn't think there's any  problem cooking on one at all......unless you're licking the outside surface & picking up excess cadmium, especially if the grill's heated up.....play it safe & just don't do it !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 02:00:10 PM »
If anyone feels unsafe using their Red Kettles please send them to me! ;D ;D ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
I wondered how long that would take  ;D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »

Yeah, just waitin' for that one to come up......... 8)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 04:45:27 PM »

My wife doesn't think it's funny. She wants me to sell the Red SS I am rehabbing and I might just do it to make her happy.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »
Berkely ::)..........................Buckies right, it's the landfills and the workers. I bet Ed could give us some excellent information on this. By the way, the old yellow has it as well. I would quit eating meat before I gave up a grill over the color. Don't take any offence Gummi, Berzerkely just has that stigma about it. We know your'e on our side. :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 05:00:45 PM by Duke »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »
Berkely ::)..........................Buckies right, it's the landfills and the workers. I bet Ed could give us some excellent information on this. By the way, the old yellow has it as well. I would quit eating meat before I gave up a grill over the color. Don't take any offence Gummi, Berzerkely just has that stigma about it. We know your'e on our side. :D

Lol, no problem man. I might let it go if I find a Sage Green or C&B grey. I have to see them in person and mounted to the SS cart. If I do let it go, It will go to a WKC member. So don't worry, we all win!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 05:45:38 PM »

My wife doesn't think it's funny. She wants me to sell the Red SS I am rehabbing and I might just do it to make her happy.

Welp....the wife finally noticed the avacado Sequoia this AM & quipped about the little "Blessed are the Flexible..." card on it: "So, what...did you put that on there so I wouldn't break both your legs?"

PS: the older lime color is tainted with KRYPTON, so everybody  send those to me.....I've a plan to line the backyard with lead to protect the environment, so they'll be safe & no danger to anyone here..... 8)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 05:48:35 PM »
haha, she JUST noticed it?