Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What color is this MBH?  (Read 3949 times)

Cellar2ful

Re: What color is this MBH?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 02:38:51 PM »

I had eliminated the possibility of it being a Plainsman seeing the plastic wheels and lack of thumbscrews on the leg sockets in the photo.  This is the one I saw in the wild.

@Bob BQ  - Guess technically the Plainsman is a grey fade or grey mist although I have never heard it referred to as such.  Only head it called the Plainsman or "white whale".
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 02:53:43 PM »
Ok, I'm back to thinking it is probably just half of a faded black & probably isn't worth the drive.  The picture I posted is one he texted me.  I also noticed the lack of thumbscrews so it would be a 69 at the earliest & that is assuming the wheels were replaced. 

However, I do notice what looks like a color differential along the circumference of the kettle, which makes me wonder.  But, I also see some sort of scratches that you don't typically see on porcelain (on the right on the pic I posted), which makes me wonder if it just grey primer or something over the original black.  I also don't see ANY shine, it kind of looks like flat paint finish.  In another picture, I noticed that at least one handle (the top anyway) appears black & shiny.  So, maybe he set the bowl upside-down to paint it.

I hate asking questions, but I'm going to ask if he painted it.  That's what I'm guessing at this point, but that ring around the circumference kind of bugs me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:55:23 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »

I think it's a faded black.  Pretty sure I can see the tips of bowl vent tabs indicating it is a daisy wheel kettle.   The true grey color kettles were only produced with one touch ash sweeps.

Don’t forget the Gray bar-b-Kettle with user installed daisy wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 03:08:24 PM »
JUST WHEN IT THINK I'M FREE, THEY SUCK ME BACK IN!   :o

I think it's a faded black.  Pretty sure I can see the tips of bowl vent tabs indicating it is a daisy wheel kettle.   The true grey color kettles were only produced with one touch ash sweeps.

Don’t forget the Gray bar-b-Kettle with user installed daisy wheels

regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 03:21:45 PM »
It looks comes back to having metal bowl handles, which were replaced with wood in 1981, so that should have been too early to be a grey economy kettle with user installed daisy wheels. 

On the other hand, the NIB 18" 1995 black I picked up Monday maybe very well have user installed daisy wheels since the box shows a racing triangle.  I didn't really look at it before hiding it in the shed.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:24:28 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 03:25:19 PM »
I gotta stop reading this thread or double up my blood pressure medication... shits exciting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 03:29:28 PM »
I'm guessing it's going to bug me enough that I'm gonna go on a wild goose chase to see a stupid bowl that some idiot sprayed with grey primer (probably not even high heat).

I gotta stop reading this thread or double up my blood pressure medication... shits exciting!!

regards,
Hal

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 03:34:28 PM »
Maybe we can pitch in gas money just so you can satisfy OUR curiosity too!!...lol

CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 03:36:04 PM »
The color differential line I marked A makes me want to go see it. 

The dullness and the "scratch" marks marked B make me not want to waste my time.
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »
THAT is funny.  If everyone could send $0.25 to my paypal...

Maybe we can pitch in gas money just so you can satisfy OUR curiosity too!!...lol

regards,
Hal

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 04:01:20 PM »
Yes the Plainsman is a double fade gray.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 04:49:39 PM »
Nah. The grill in question is a faded black. When they turn gray like that, they get that orange peel kinda look about them, as shown in the original picture.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:53:51 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »
Y’all are on drugs. It’s the Plainsman

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 05:18:33 PM »
@kettlebb  Now, I think you're just messing with me.  I've been yanking my own damn chain over this one for a number of days myself BEFORE even posting it here. 

I also don't think @harris92 was saying he THINKS it is a Plainsman, only noting the Plainsman is a double faded grey.

Y’all are on drugs. It’s the Plainsman

regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2018, 05:23:39 PM »
So, IF I go on a wild goose chase to see it & wind up THINKING it is not just a faded grey, how many of you are going to post in my new thread "half a kettle appreciation society"?
regards,
Hal