Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First pizza mod and cook. Thanks WKC!!  (Read 4611 times)

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
First pizza mod and cook. Thanks WKC!!
« on: March 31, 2018, 05:10:35 PM »
Gents, thank you for all the informative posts on this site. I successfully completed my first wood-fired pizza cook on an old AD mod per the many detailed posts on the WKC.  I opened the lid to fit my bamboo peel, raised the grate for ease of loading onto the pizza stone and most importantly... used the PAC man + 1 to achieve a rolling flame across the top of the pie. The dough was awesome with a nice chewy bite thanks to the  Mighty Pizza Oven online "Bread / Pizza Dough creator."  Pics of the set up and results to follow. Again my thanks to all those who have posted information to make this first cook a success!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
Re: First pizza mod and cook. Thanks WKC!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 06:30:42 PM »
Looks awesome!  Like the set up.  I am waiting for better weather to give pizza a try. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 07:57:24 PM »
Looks awesome!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 08:37:23 PM »
@cigarman20 You did an awesome job on your mod.. I realized after I did mine A) i should not have cut the lip off and B) cut the opening opposite the vent, just to be able to hang it. Pies look great too!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 03:03:22 AM »
Great job, I am glad my you found my dough claculator useful.
Bert

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 10:29:33 AM »
Thanks all... it certainly was fun pulling it all together. @BertVentures- the dough calculator is fantastic. How many grams of dough do you usually use to get a 14" pie?

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 09:30:58 AM »
Thak you @cigarman20, I like thin dough,  I aim for 260g per dough ball.
Bert

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 10:44:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip about opposite the vent.  I think it was your post that got me looking into this. 

@cigarman20 You did an awesome job on your mod.. I realized after I did mine A) i should not have cut the lip off and B) cut the opening opposite the vent, just to be able to hang it. Pies look great too!!
regards,
Hal

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 06:19:52 AM »
If I hadn't scored the KP so cheaply I'd have done that mod in a heartbeat. Looks great! So did you set the basket in the back on top of the edges on the other two? Looks like it's up higher where it belongs. I may have to try that setup. It seems like the openings on the baskets allow the stone to get the right temp without risking burning the bottom of the pie.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 06:59:56 AM »
I like it.

1) Is the lid cut with a Dremel, using a cutoff wheel?

2) Does it cook evenly enough so that you don't have to turn the pizza?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Janthony13

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 02:18:06 PM »
Looks great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 02:40:23 PM »
Yes, you're correct. I used the two lower baskets PAC man style. Cut an opening in the grate to allow for placement of the third basket. A chimney of KBB split between the bottom baskets with some reserved for the third basket which was loaded with apple chunks.  I did end up rotating during the cook as it was cooler at the opening.  @addicted to smoke-  after drilling round holes at the corners, I did use a dremel with a cut off wheel.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 09:26:47 PM »
I have yet to master the perfect wood fired kettle pizza but it looks like you nailed it. Thats an awesome looking pie and great job on the mod. I like the fact that the cut away lid keeps the heat low and forces it across the top of the pizza. I think thats the ticket right there.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 09:28:42 PM »
Thanks all... it certainly was fun pulling it all together. @BertVentures- the dough calculator is fantastic. How many grams of dough do you usually use to get a 14" pie?

What is this "dough calculator" you speak of........

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
Bert